“This time was even better” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Long Beach

The Westin Long Beach
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Fresno, California
“This time was even better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stay at the Long Beach Westin about once a month for work. I'll be honest there have been ups and downs. I will say this trip was spot on. My room was ready right away and the front desk was quick and painless. The room was extremely clean and well cooled considering it was a very warm day. The restuarant was good and the service was good as well.

Anytime I needed anything I was treated well and was provided great customer service. This may be because the summer holiday is over but I will say this hotel is usually filled with business people not holiday travelers. It is nice to have a comfort property to stay at where you know what to expect and that is a nice quiet, resting stay.

I guess my only think I would say is I wish the parking spots were bigger. It is hard to park a charger in thoes tiny little spots. On a different note if you like sushi do NOT go to Octopus on Pike Street, it came reccomended and it was not good at all. But if you are looking for a nice hotel in Long Beach at a decent price and a good location, this should be your spot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I travel every week on business and I have never met such an outstanding restaurant server as Rosa C. She is absolutely amazing and I wanted to take the time to correspond with corporate management and let you know this. She should receive some sort of reward or compensation for how great she is. In addition the host Joset was also amazing!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent some time here last year and since then they have remodeled but it is already showing signs of too much wear for less than a year’s passing.

The coffee makers are now those little single serving cups which is fine but they only provided 2 regular packets and 2 decaf packets so we had to keep asking for more. The first time we asked the maids but they said that someone else does the coffee. We had to go down to the front desk to get more.

All mini refrigerators were taken so we scooted a few things around in the mini bar refrigerator so we could make room for a couple of our own drinks. The mini bar has several different types of drinks and lot’s of candy that they hope to charge you a fee for instead of letting you fill it yourself so be careful of what is yours and what is theirs.

They still charge for internet use in your room but will let you inconvenience yourself by taking your laptop down to the lobby where they won't hit you up for a fee but the internet service is s-l-o-w.

It still cost an added fee of $17 a day to park in their underground parking but it gets full and you are only allowed to park in a limited number of spaces so many times we had problems finding a space set aside for the hotel. When you do park there be prepared for door dings because the spaces are so small that you can hardly fit a car into them.

If you are not watchful, It is easy to get hit with extra fees from the service that provides the channels on their television. The first time I went to check the weather (special channel) but it looked as if there was a fee associated with doing so and as I perused through the television menu I realized that there were a lot of channels with extra fees attached to them. Every time I turned the television on I had to find my way away from the pay channels. This made me feel like I had to be on my guard over not just this but wondering if there was something else I was unaware of acquiring an extra fee for using.

The dual shower head was fixed (or not fixed) so that only one head of the two would spray water. After the first day, the air-conditioner stopped working properly and we had a difficult time keeping the room cool. I didn't complain about the air because it was cooler in the room than the outside but just not to my liking. Also, (due to past experiences in some hotels) even though there was a thermostat in the room for guest control, in some places the management may exercise some of it's own control from a central spot to keep down the cost. "IF" this is what they are doing then one "may" hear from maintenance that there is nothing wrong with the air.

Again, we had one breakfast at the hotel and is was very good but it took an inordinate amount of time to get to our table even though there was hardly anyone there for breakfast. And, thus again we went to the Creme de la Crepe restaurant just around the backside corner of the hotel (400 E 1st St) for a fabulous breakfast during the rest of our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank misplaced
Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The rooms were nice and clean. The concierge was helpful. There was no free WiFi and no laundry for guests to use so based on those things, I'd probably stay somewhere else next time. It's a couple of blocks from the main street, the Renaissance and Marriott are closer. The pool is like a hot spa bath without the bubbles, not refreshing but would be nice for a night swim. Watch out for the hotel charging your credit card. They charged my card over 400 dollars when I paid my bill up front in cash and now I have to chase up why and get it returned to me.

• Stayed October 2012
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Old hotel in need of a facelift.
Staff is not friendly or acts like they do not want to be there at all.
No views
Noisy
The beach is a bit of a walk and only just so so. If you want a beach I recommend stay on Santa Monica.
Very gloomy in the mornings May through July.
Pool is tiny with very few chairs and not much sun.
Very expensive to park in fact they even charge you for a full day of parking the morning you leave.
No free Wi-Fi.
Will charge you close to $17 to print a boarding pass.
Overall very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nikki B
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Convenient location, amply sized meeting rooms (and amazing staff who could break down and reassemble them very quickly), comfy beds, and decent (plated lunches) to excellent (breakfast buffets, snacks, and reception) conference food -- what's not to like? Perhaps the charge for internet, but at least it was disclosed.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Close to Pine Street restaurants (a two block walk). Room was clean, good sized, with a very nicely sized bathroom. No issues with noise from within the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

As a frequent business traveler at the Westin in Long Beach, CA, I always receive exceptional service from the staff and my room is always up to par! Jose T. the host at the restaurant is fabulous and ensures that the service and food is beyond expectation. Thus far, I have never been disappointed and wanted to share my great experience! Liz L.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business