“Efficent, clean, across street is LB Arts Center” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Long Beach

The Westin Long Beach
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
suffield, ct
“Efficent, clean, across street is LB Arts Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

This Westin was clean and lovely with solid service, a tasty-but-expensive breakfast, is conveniently located across the street from the Long Beach Performing Arts Center and is a dependable choice for a 3 1/2 star hiotel in Long Beach. If you are visiting L.A. and have a car and do not wish to stay within L.A., this section of Long Beach is a nice area within which to stay. I wasn't crazy about the neighborhood 8 blocks away as Long Beach has a serious homeless problem but the strip with the hotel and immediate area is upscale and safe. A free shuttle bus called The Passport runs up and down Ocean Boulevard.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank athomeatfenway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I like mine with....

A rubbery burned texture? Then you'll just love the tiny breakfast buffet the hotel offer. It's tiny. It's over cooked. It's bland. It's overpriced.

A rusty shower? You'll get on fine here. Westin "heavenly" shower, yes, ok then. As long as you don't mind the shower curtain smelling damp and the air vent, bath curtain rail and bathroom fixtures bring rusty.

No privacy? They'll help you with this one too. My room was supposed to have three blinds that stop people seeing into the room from outside. However, two were missing and the one remaining blind had come off it's rollers.

A smile? You've got no chance here. Staff are completely uninterested. Check in was slow and staff were unfriendly. Even the bell boys were surly, and the restaurant staff really couldn't care less about guests.

So, in conclusion, as you might have guessed, I won't be back. How do I like my eggs in the morning? Served somewhere else and by staff that are happy in their jobs.

If you are staying here, good luck.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank mintyaero
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

For a hotel carrying the brand Westin you would expect much better. This hotel fails to really deliver that top quality that Starwoods is known for. This hotel actually feels more like a Marriott resort. When you first walk in you def feel like a Westin with marble and posh surroundings but then you start to head to your rooms and they are average. The beds are nice and the bathrooms are small, but the part that make this a typical hotel vs. resort is the amenities. The pool is very small, no place to buy drinks while chillin. You have to go somewhere else and bring them up.....another words....No service by the pool. What resort doesn't have service by the pool. I would rate this a hotel to just stay over night and not a final destination for a resort in Cali. Luckily my wife and I were only here because we didn't want to drive that night after a long day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Korwegian
Palos Verdes Estates, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I too, was very disappointed with how worn the furniture in the lobby and rooms are, the filth in the elevators and the fact that the bathrooms are so dark I had to use the public restroom on the main level to put on my make-up.
Where is Westin's management?
I thought they had higher standards. Even if they are doing a remodel in the future, those of us who are Starwoods Preferred travelers expect higher standards from a Westin. Yes, it has a nice bed, but so every other hotel chain now. The spa is closed, the pool was under repair. I booked a sales meeting at this hotel - what a mistake. Shame on Westin!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank 51765Hollydog1
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I recently stayed at the Westin while attending a friend's wedding in Long Beach. I work in the hotel industry but have never stayed at a Westin, so I was excited about my reservation. Although the front desk staff was friendly and competent when I arrived, that was not the case the rest of my trip. When I arrived in my room, the dresser drawers were horribly chipped and wouldn't close all the way. The nightstands also had drawers that would not shut. The nightstand drawer stayed open all the time and I constantly ran into it. When checking out the bathroom, I found the shower head covered in hard water gunk, calcium deposits etc. I'm not sure what it was but I took a picture of it. Also, there were no amenities(shampoo, conditioner, lotion) in the bathroom except lotion.

While in the room I also went looking for the hotel directory book that you find in all hotels, telling you about the restaurant, in-room dinning and other hotel services that are available. The book was no where to be found. So, I called the front desk and asked for the hotel directory and shampoo/conditioner. It took 30 minutes for housekeeping to arrive and instead of the amenities and book, they brought me a phone book...literally the Long Beach phone book. I promptly told the housekeeper that wasn't what I requested. So, I called the desk again. Finally, after another 10 minute wait, I received a plastic sack of amenity bottles and taped together pages from the hotel directory. The pages were wrinkled and old looking. It must have been from one of the hotel staffs desks or something, but it its only form of binding was tape.

All of this checking the room and waiting for items, that should have already been there before I checked in, delayed my sight seeing in the area. I know that housekeeping staffs get very busy, especially when turning over rooms for large groups and sold out nights, but I was able to check in at 8:30 in the morning. It was not during checkout time. This room must have been sitting empty from the night before and it still wasn't stocked with the appropriate items.

The rest of my stay was fine. Although when I called the desk the night before I checked and asked about the in-room tv check out. After receiving the necessary information I said "But I can still come to the desk and check out if I want to?" I was then told, yes, but most people check out through the tv and the keys need to be dropped at the desk. The front desk staff person acted like it would be an imposition for me to checkout at the desk. I know that checking out through the tv in your room is fancy and new and lots of people do it. But, I like going to the desk usually.

All in all, the stay was ok, but for $139 a night, I think I could have gotten better customer service and a room with a the necessary items. I've heard this hotel chain has inconsistency issues and my trip reaffirmed this. By the way, the room I stayed in was 1119. I hope the furniture problems get fixed soon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank grant3045
Scottsdale, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Completely agree with the other (and lengthy) reviewer that the Westin Long Beach is a disappointment - at best.

I am typing as I sit in my 14th floor room and here for one additional night .Will not return until the ownership moves funds from their pockets in to the property.

It is clear that the usual wear and tear items are seemingly unimportant to numerous level of staff from the GM down......and we all know, it starts at the top.

The carpet is in my 14th floor room is stained in more areas than not
There are cigarette burns in the drapes
Furniture laminate is WAY overdue for a a refurbish
Sheets are stained and quite worn -however bed is comfortable!

As a 20 year hospitality veteran, I am completely baffled how the housekeeping department has continued to MISS or LOOK THE OTHER WAY at these items, that the supervisor who I assume checks these rooms after the clean and prior to next sale also misses them, and that the GM has clearly not walked his or her rooms in ages...... no matter how many rooms the property has. Unacceptable and out of touch.

Just a thought- if I look around and notice this much negligence, what may be in this room that is not visible with the naked eye?

On a positive note, the location is great....only $23.00 taxi fare from Long Beach Airport and walking distance to numerous restaurants and shops.

That being said, this Westin needs serious attention before my firm books here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank widget13
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Overall the hotel was nice. I stayed two nights for meetings. The wait staff at the restaurant was great and accommodating. The concierge was great for finding us some good running paths. The hotel rooms could use some updates, worn furniture and doors but all in all nicer than many other options. Great proximity to the beach and the conference center. No free internet except i the lobby and only for an hour.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business