“Just OK”

Chelsea's Chowder House & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Chelsea's Chowder House & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,111 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean
Description: Capturing the feel of an authentic British chowder house, complete with subway-tiled walls, tables covered with butcher block paper and a decorative tin ceiling, Chelsea Chowder House & Bar is a contemporary take on the traditional fish house. Enjoy the lively atmosphere while dining on some of the best seafood and steaks around.
Pasadena, California
“Just OK”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Surly waiter, average plating of expensive food. Nice view.

Visited June 2012
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at Chelsea's Chowder House & Bar, responded to this review, February 13, 2015
Thank you for the feedback and first and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that may have been caused to you during dining visit here aboard the World Famous Queen Mary. Our ultimate goal is to provide each and every guest with utmost level of service, quality of food and memorable experience. I regret that we fell short in delivering our commitment of providing you with excellent service and quality food as we like to provide an excellent chew to pair with our amazing view.

I would also like to thank you for providing your feedback in regards to your experience. It is guest like you that we rely on in receiving feedback in order for us to improve our guest services and the quality of our foods.

We hope to host you again soon!

San Diego, California
“Great Food, Bad Service”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The food was great, but the waitress was one of the worst ever. She didn't know the difference between the remoulade and the gremolata.. which is OK, but instead of saying "I don't know, let me check" she told us wrong. Worse, she left us waiting for our check for half hour, and I could see that she was not serving other guests in that dining room.

Visited July 2012
Thank you so much for the feedback and we are very glad to read you enjoyed your visit.

We hope to have you dine aboard the World Famous Queen Mary again soon!
-QM
“Weird Service, Awful Food, Kinda Pricey”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

First know, the Queen Mary Hotel, which is where this restaurant is located, demanded my dining companion pay $15 to enter the hotel (where I was staying) to meet me for dinner.

The server was an attractive young woman who might not have ever waited tables before in her life. Hard to put into words but every request was somehow surprising to her. Whatever she was asked, whether it was for a list of specials, types of beer, deserts...it was like she was being put out. Like we'd walked into a restaurant and asked where the tennis rackets were.

Okay the food. My colleague had one glass of wine and our dinner tab was $153.00. Not wildly expensive but certainly a price you'd expect to get a couple of decent meals for. Not even close. I got the "beef short ribs" but it was really like a big, grey hunk of dry potroast smothered in what I'd guess was canned beef gravy. My poor friend got the "New England Clam Bake" which was a couple of sad looking stubs of corn, a handful of tiny cherrystone clams (not steamers) and half a lobster tail that look like it'd been boiled down to a nub.

It was NASTY food. Thankfully my guest is a long-time colleague and we were able to have a nice laugh at the meal and service we endured because had it been someone I was intent on impressing, this would have been a humiliating night.

And by the way the atmosphere is lacking. It's got all the charm of a low-rent banquet hall. Denny's has more warmth.

Steer clear of this joint. You'd be better of getting a burger and a milkshake somewhere and put $140 into the kids' college fund.

• Visited July 2012
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at Chelsea's Chowder House & Bar, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
JimMKport -

In regard to your query, we do apologize for the confusion. To protect the integrity of the ship for future generations, we have required that each guest whom boards the Queen Mary have a ticket to enjoy her history. You can get a ticket in many ways: a) be a guest of the hotel. b) attend a Queen Mary special event (we host numerous concerts and festivals throughout the year – see our website for more information). c) purchase one of our exciting tour packages d) be a guest of a third-party event aboard the ship (we host numerous weddings, proms, meetings, reunions etc. e) be a dining guest.

To be a dining guest – one must purchase a dining voucher before entry. This is $15 per person and is applied to your bill at any of our dining establishments (Sir Winston’s, Chelsea Chowder House, Promenade Café, Observation Bar, Tea Room, Sunday Brunch) – so you are basically not paying anything. This just ensures that you are actually boarding the ship to enjoy a meal as opposed to causing trouble.

Not really too complicated...you must go to some pretty amazing Denny's. :) Our decor captures the feel of an authentic British chowder house, complete with subway-tiled walls, tables covered with butcher block paper and a decorative tin ceiling...

We hope that clears up the confusion. Hope to enjoy a meal with you again soon!
-Queen Mary Management
Apollo, Pennsylvania
“Good food yet too expensive”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Excellent service and is the only place onboard the queen mary to get a decent priced dinner. It's still just way too expensive.

Visited July 2012

We hope to host you again soon!
Coto de Caza, California
“Chelsea Chowder House & Bar”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The food was very good. The staff very friendly. During my stay on the Queen Mary, I had dinner here twice. Both times were pleasant. The view was lovely at night.

Visited July 2011

We hope to have you dine aboard the World Famous Queen Mary again soon!