“Not worth the walk”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I walked 5 miles RT to get here, was disappointed.
Fruit plate was terrific, pasta salad was dry and overloaded with seasoning and had tiny bit of shredded cheese on top. Lemonade was yellow water. Bathroom was dirty, echoed by gal before me. Service was ok, friendly. Restaurant clean enough.

1  Thank 789Christine789

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I don't see how At Last Cafe can be rated # 3 in Long Beach, but then I don't get how several others in LB get top ratings when there are much better restaurants here. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't stellar by a long shot. Our meals were average, at best. I absolutely would not wait 30 - 40 minutes for a table here as some have done. We were able to get a reservation and were seated immediately. There seemed to be a lot of disorganization within the restaurant between wait staff and the kitchen. Our salads all were drenched with dressing which totally overpowered what appeared to be fresh greens/ingredients. Within a few minutes of getting our salads, we were surrounded by kitchen staff ready to place our meals in front of us. The tables are small, so off went unfinished salads (which was actually fine with me) and there was dinner. Our waiter forgot to bring an appetizer and got one of the orders wrong. They were busy and these things happen - not a deal breaker. The food itself is average. Basically what you would expect at a diner. Prices are moderate and the portions are good. It's just that none of us found that the food lived up to all the rave reviews. Only one of us finished our meals. I was expecting a lot more than what was delivered. The food wasn't bad, but definitely not worthy of a #3 ranking.
This was our first trip here and perhaps we hit it on an off night. If that isn't the case, then I am totally confused on the hype about this place. I'm willing to give it another shot but will definitely stick to something very basic. One thing to keep in mind is that parking is horrendous in this area. This is not the restaurant's fault. Just be sure to allow a little extra time to find parking if you have a reservation.

2  Thank KipF
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have dined here four times and haven't been disappointed. Although I learned about At Last from Guy Fieri's show, I don't hold that against the place. :-) The place is tiny so make a reservation. The parking situation (on-street neighborhood parking is the only option) can be difficult. I allow myself ten minutes just to get from wherever I end up parking to the restaurant.

The place's main claim to fame is its food's quality-to-cost ratio. You'd pay a lot more for comparable meals somewhere else, which means you'd be paying for atmosphere.

Recommending a particular menu item is challenging, because typically I order off the specials board. The brick chicken was flavorful and moist. I've had also salad with warm duck, a salmon special, and pot roast. All were generous and flavorful.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a great little corner cafe A bit ecletic, which is really fun. The food is wonderful--my second time here was as great as the first. Watching the staff preparing food in a tiny kitchen is delightful--everyone focused and working together so well. No processed products here!! We had an appetizer-shrimp gnocchi -that was the best I have ever had. Sauce was sublime. They incorporate lots of fresh veggies in their dishes--which is great for us. The blackened prime rib was outta sight too. I can't believe how reasonable the prices were too! If I lived here I would definitely be a regular.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

My family took my Dad to the At Last Cafe for his 81st birthday last night. The atmosphere is diner-fusion--a balanced mix up-scale food choices in a comfortable diner atmosphere. Meals suited our family's picky-eaters, vegetarian and foodies. Mac n Cheese could have more zing. Bill for appetizers and meal (we brought our wine and did birthday cake at home) was $120.00. Not bad for a table of 6. Our waiter Anthony was a great combo of humorist and unobtrusive opinionated expert--he gave us the store's recommendations as well as his favorites. Chef came out to visit and wish my Dad a Happy Birthday. We'll be back.

1  Thank kcecchin