“Fantastic!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville Tennessee
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Let me start by saying I am picky, particular, hard to please and regularly dismiss certain hotels because they haven't been renovated recently.
The Avia is nice!. The doormen ( who did tell me I had to park next door in the parking garage), the front desk clerk were all the epitome of graciousness and efficiency.
I had a King room.
They inquired how my trip in to Long Beach had been.
What an excellent way to be made felt welcome!
Whisked through the marble floored lobby, the elevator quickly got to my floor.
My immaculately clean room was large and spacious.
A comfortable seperate seating arrangement.
The large windows let plenty of light into the room.
The spinning flat screen tv was cool.
The King bed had a very comfortable mattress, soft sheets, and excellent pillows.
The bathroom was great and likewise immaculate, with big absorbent towels, excellent water pressure in the shower and separate toilet area.
A nice assortment of amenities were by the sink with plenty of counter top space, and the lighting was excellent.
I never heard a sound from the rooms beside, above or below me.
My wake-up call came right on time.
I truly enjoyed my experience at the hotel, and was impressed with the staff, the ambiance, the level of upkeep/maintenance and the amenities.
The location is good.
I would rather stay here than anywhere else in Long Beach.
Truly, this is a hotel where customer service is a reality and not just a phrase on an internet page.
I will happily recommend the hotel to anyone discerning who wants excellence across the board.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
AVIALongBeachGM, General Manager at Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
Wow! We are overjoyed with your nice compliments! We are delighted to hear AVIA exceeded your expectations with everything from customer service and location to amenities and ambiance of the hotel. Thank you so much for choosing AVIA and recommending the hotel to others. We look forward to your next stay at AVIA Long Beach!
In hospitality, Ken Dickson, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Sydney
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I'm writing this review from the Avia hotel right now. It's 10:53am and for the last 4 hours all I can hear is a loud drill right next to my head. It has woken me up 3 days in a row now and it is disgusting. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Need more reasons NOT to stay here?:

- The gym is pathetic. It has one bench that does NOT recline and the weights only go up to 50 pounds.

- The WiFi is spotty - if you move your laptop just a few inches your connection will drop out. Yes the WiFi is free but I'd rather pay for a decent connection

- No room service. How does a hotel have no room service? The menu at the "restaurant" (I use this term loosely because no one is ever there) has about 8 items on it.

- The location is horrible. It makes Long Beach feel like a ghost town - there's NOTHING around.

I'm a pretty patient guy, but I should've paid an extra $50 a night to stay at a Hilton or Renaissance. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. They try to be fancy and "chic" but it comes off tacky. The "guest services team" look like (seriously) strippers - blonde hair, covered in make up with husky voices and this hotel should just be avoided.

Now It's time for me to call guest services to be switched to another room. I'm praying to god I'll be able to sleep in tomorrow and won't be waken by the sound of drills.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
AVIALongBeachGM, General Manager at Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, January 2, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Please accept my apology for the inconvenience you experienced when construction noise woke you up during your stay with us. We didn't know the extent of the construction and noise for the installation of new ice machines until work started. Regrettably, I don't believe we were made aware of the issues you described during your stay or we would have taken action to more you to another room.

We just recently curtailed room service until we can provide it at a level that we and our guests expect. I realize the lack of room service is a disappointment, but the vast majority of our dining customers have positive comments about our cuisine.

AVIA Long Beach is located at The Pike, a restaurant and entertainment center visited by thousands each week and within walking distance of the Aquarium of the Pacific, downtown, convention center, and the Long Beach waterfront.

We strive to make each guest's visit an exceptional, positive experience. Guest comments and feedback are most helpful as we constantly review our services and monitor guest satisfaction in our effort to provide the best possible service and accommodations. Most of our guests have very positive comments about our services and facility, but we consider each and every guest comment important. We hope you will give us another try the next time you are in Long Beach.

Corona, CA
Reviewed December 6, 2009

My fiance and I decided to do a last minute getaway and found the AVIA on expedia. We paid $135 for the night (plus $7 for parking). Our room was on 6th floor and it was furnished with an extremely comfortable King Sized bed. I had to peak-- it was a Simmons Beauty Rest with a super thick mattress pad and topped with nice white sheets, a light down comforter, another sheet, and a white coverlet. We had the room thermostat set at 72 degrees which was so perfect! We slept very well in the cozy bed! The bathroom was awesome too-- the shower was walk-in style with a beautiful white marble veneer and dual shower head system.
The check-in and check-out were speedy and the desk clerks were friendly. We enjoyed the boutique/chick decor and found the hotel's style refreshing and fun. We did not eat at the hotel, so I am not sure how the food is. However, there were quite a few people in the restaurant having breakfast, so it must've been pretty good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIALongBeachGM, General Manager at Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
We're glad you found AVIA and decided to give us a try. Thank you for the nice comments and we're pleased you enjoyed the hotel, amenities, décor and our staff. We appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to share you experience. We hope you will stay with us again!
In hospitality, Den Dickson, General Manager
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 4, 2009

Amazing!....I live in Los Angeles and visit Long Beach several times per month, having watched the AVIA as it was being built. This past weekend I decided to stay in the city to visit friends....although none of my friends really knew anything about it because it is new. From the time I first walked through the door until I checked out on Sunday, I could not have been more impressed. I work with a five star resort in Mexico so I'm very familiar with what "seamless" service looks like, and these guys have it down. The guest services respresentative (Angela I think) was so friendly and actually made conversation with me about my plans, the hotel, etc...almost unheard of at any of the big chain hotels. The decor is just right....not to "W"ish which can be over the top, but a great blend of contemporary designs with a welcoming touch. The rooms are the best in Long Beach, hands down. I love the layout, the bathroom, refreshment center, lighting, just everything. Every single staff person made an effort to make eye contact and greet me. I wouldn't say it's "agressive" hospitality which you find at a five star hotel, but it's just a notch below. The parking was super easy, and a steal at $7 per night. When I checked out the same person took care of me at the front desk and was again delightful....I will write a detailed note to the GM, but I'm like a walking billboard for this hotel. The only cautionary tale is that I've seen many hotels with similar service levels become intoxicated with their success and start charging rates which are beyond what the actual guest experience level is. Hopefully these guys are principle driven and won't fall into that trap. If you are going to Long Beach for any reason, this is "it."

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest
Wow! What an amazing review! We truly appreciate you staying with us and we are so thrilled we exceeded your high expectations. You gave AVIA so many great compliments. We hope to have you stay with us again soon.
Warwick, RI
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We had the pleasure of staying at the AVIA hotel for 3 nights, which was a fantastic 50th birthday gift from my sons. The hotel is gorgeous. The staff was extremely welcoming. Our room was beautiful. The decor was lovely - I could picture myself living in that room forever. The bathroom was oversized with an amazing shower. And the bed was without a doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in (pillows too!) I highly recommend this hotel, We didn't have a chance to enjoy the rooftop pool but did take a peek at it. The views of the city were fantastic, and the pool was crystal clear & very inviting. Do not pass up an opportunity to stay here. You deserve the treat!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIALongBeachGM, General Manager at Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
We are excited to hear AVIA helped celebrate your 50th birthday and very happy you found it to be an incredible treat! We are so glad you enjoyed the hotel, service, amenities and views from the rooftop pool. Thank you for recommending AVIA and we look forward to you staying with us the next time you are in Long Beach.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We have travelled all over the country and stayed in many hotels and this is by far one of the best ones we have stayed at!! We chose it online since it was near the Pier and also new and photos were superb. We liked the fact also that it was calming colors in the room as we were there to relax for part of our stay. We visited 11/09-11/11/09 and wished we would have been able to cancel our second hotel to stay here instead-it was cheaper and everything was better. The only bad part was the view but we were not there to look out the window-so all was fabulous for us. Area, room, TV, bathroom especially. The staff were also always smiling and greeting us as we came and went. WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN-everything is withing walking distance and parking was the cheapest around anywhere so we were extremely happy, thank you for this stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIALongBeachGM, General Manager at Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
Wow! Thank you for the great compliments and thank you for staying at AVIA! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and found the decor to be calming and the location to be within walking distance of everything you wanted to see. We look forward to you staying with us again and again.
Stockton, California
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Glad I found this hotel. Hotel opened this summer and is absolutely beautiful. We upgraded to a junior suite and were very impressed. The service was excellent. We used the rooftop pool area, which has a great view. We visited the wine bar and even had dinner there. Very relaxing stay before our cruise.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIALongBeachGM, General Manager at Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, November 22, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
We're glad you found our hotel and enjoyed your stay. We are happy to hear you were impressed with the hotel and the service. Long Beach is a great city with so much to offer, we look forward to seeing you again soon.