“If only I could sleep...” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal, Canada
“If only I could sleep...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I would have given it a 5...

The positive:
1- So clean
2- Chic and modern
3- Big and nice room
4- What a nice surprise to be upgraded at no charge
5- Pleasant check in

The negative:
1- MUSIC...MUSIC...MUSIC a monday night? really!? I wonder if it was from the bar restaurant of the hotel or if it was coming from speakers. We were on the 4th floor and we had all night jazz.... I like jazz but I wasn't in the mood to enjoy it especially after 9 hours of driving. We needed a good night's sleep. I called the front desk, the gentleman said he will fix it....he fixed nothing and I never ask twice.

My bad review doesn't do justice to the hotel but unless I m mistaken the main purpose of a hotel is to offer a place to sleep in peace ...peace that I didn't get!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank EtoileFilanteduSud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at the Pike one night, before we went on a cruise. The front desk attendants were friendly and helpful. The room was very, very nice - clean & upscale. Lemon/lime ice water in the lobby was great. This hotel is in a great location, we walked to restaurants & stores & even down to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things for the cruise. Close to the aquarium, although we weren't able to go because it was Easter Sunday & it was closed. The area around the hotel reminds me of the way California Adventures is designed - typical California feel to it - perfect place to stay when going on a cruise. Front desk called a taxi for us & it only took 10 min. to get to the docks in the cab. I would highly recommend this place. I would love to return & stay longer to enjoy the area.

Room Tip: We were on a higher floor with a street view, which was fun.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have stayed here twice now and I love this property. It is modern and funky in an excellent location.

PROS:

The BED is the most heavenly thing I have ever experienced. So much so that I am in the market for a Hyatt Bed. I must have it.

The rooms are well appointed with a wooden floor (may be a laminate, not sure) where the work desk and mini bar are located. I love this. I wish more hotels would consider wooden floors...The cleanliness, or lack thereof, is obvious and easy to see. The two rooms I stayed in both had the reversible television which can be viewed both from the sitting area and the bed - great feature.

The bathrooms are great - clean and the rain shower heads make you not want to ever leave. The first room I had had a walk in shower which was bananas. So large and spacious with a spa feel.

Location - great, trendy area. Walking distance to many eateries and things to do. The first room I stayed in faced the street and all the eateries and I never felt like there was a noise issue at all. Long Beach is far from anything you will want to do in L.A. proper but, then again, if Orange County is where you need to be and you don't want to actually stay in the OC, Long Beach can be a relatively convenient option.

Free Wifi.

The rooftop pool area is amazing. I have never actually even been in the pool but the whole area is chic with great views of the Pike area. Just going up there to look around is worth it.

CONS:

Parking is weird, albeit reasonably priced for the area. The parking for the hotel is a public parking garage which is always busy. Sometimes the hotel voucher things don't work and you can't get in or out of the garage. This can get irritating, especially if you have people behind you trying to get in or out. And, depending on the night and time, the garage can be packed.

I don't like that you cannot put your own items in the fridge as it is one of those weighted mini bar fridges that will charge you if you remove something from it. That's just - well - not cool. If you are there for any length of time, you may have doggie bags or something that you want or need to refrigerate.

Other than that, I would return again and again when my budget allows as it can be a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the street and some rooms face other rooms. Depending on your preference, the rooms...
1 Thank Bruingal79
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

As we arrived jazz music was being played into the street. A lovely welcome. We parked outside to unload then after check in we moved the car park to across the street. $7 a day you pay through the hotel. On check in the gent told us they only had double rooms left. Not really understanding I just agreed. (It was very late) only later did I realise my booking was for a queen and we had been downsized. As we had pre paid back in January I was a little disappointed by this.

On arriving in the room I was impressed how clean it was, the bed was comfortable if though smaller than what I paid for!

Location was very good, easy to find on arrival to long beach and great to walk out from to all the long beach highlights.

The hotel staff recommended a restaurant for breakfast called the "omelette inn" it was a great little find. Good food and service, at a reasonable price.

The rooftop pool has great views and was very quiet over my stay.

I would stay again, hope you enjoy as I did.

• Stayed March 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was a bit disappointed with the size of the room. The place we stayed the night before was larger, so I had anticipated the same size room at the Hyatt. We had two double beds, not queen size, but the beds were comfy. The bathroom was very spa like with a walk in shower, waterfall showerhead, etc. Staff was extremely nice and helpful. We parked in the garage across the street for $7 a day...were given a ticket at check-in that would let us go in and out of the garage as many times as we wanted to for this price.

This is a nice hotel, but it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a large room, this probably isn't the place. But if you are looking for the modern, spa-like bathroom, then definitely go here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I arrived at the hotel on a weekday for a business trip to the area. I was expecting a well-signed, highrise structure, however the hotel is more of a boutique size and within The Pike, literally. The location is great with many attractions, restaurants and local hot spots abound. It's situated on a small street that ventures through The Pike, so it was very quiet. Parking is in the structure to the West of the hotel and it's a quick jaunt down the elevator and across the street to the lobby. There is a charge for parking ($7/day) with in and out privileges. There is a loading area directly in front of the hotel, so if you're a heavy packer or have a family, drop your luggage with the bellhop curbside.

The hotel itself is nicely done with a comfortable, modern feel. The lobby is open and spacious with a bar and restaurant. There is also an outdoor patio area with a fire pit. There is a rooftop bar at the pool, yet apparently it isn't open during the Winter months. The pool was however, and the view is marvelous! The check in process was quick and efficient, and the staff at the front desk were more than helpful. The room itself was clean and well appointed, and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was large (no tub) and I REALLY enjoyed the walk-in shower! I think I showered 3 times in one day just because I loved the Rain Shower Head so much.

My stay was fantastic and I will be back on my next business trip to the Long Beach area.

Cheers, and Safe Travels!

J~

New Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently stayed here on business, we were attending a tradeshow at the nearby convention center. The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and shops. The room was very nice. It had a desk with a phone and a coffee maker. There was also a sitting area with a couch and tv. The tv swiveled between the sitting area and the bed. so it can be seen from either area. The bathroom was large and the shower had a choice between a rainfall shower or your traditional fixture. There is a bar and restaurant located in the lobby of the hotel. The restaurant was convenient for breakfast, the spanish omelette was delicious. There was a pool on the rooftop, beautiful view at night. There is a parking garage, as hotel guests were we charged $7 per day. The front desk people were very helpful; whether it be for simple walking directions or dinner recommendations, they were always pleasant. There is a small gym on the main level, luckily is wasn't busy.