“This place is a garbage dump”
Review of Beach Plaza Hotel

Beach Plaza Hotel
Ranked #43 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed in room 202. 5 inch round hole, approx 1.5 inches deep, where doorknob smashed into it. Scuffed walls. Carpet FILTHY. Bumps the size of those turtles you had as a kid, beneath the carpet in many places (like 30 or so). Bathroom floor worn away to gray underlayer. Major caulking all through the shower with black mold on it. Windows didn't lock. Door knicked, scuffed, dented and with an 1/8th inch gap between it and the door jamb. A credit card or a tire iron could easily fit in the gap. Bedspreads were dirty. Rattley headboards knocked against the wall with the slightest motion. Overhead fan squeaked. Wood in bathroom has been overpainted so many times, it 's gross. Breakfast consisted of one of those little sweet rolls wrapped in cellophane that you can get at any mini mart. Overall, dingy, dirty, depressing. And all for only $145 per night. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie1153

Reviewed September 25, 2009

Avoid this place - I had a horrible stay here.

When checking in I found the front desk clerk had run my card for the incorrect amount (too much). When he handed me the slip to sign he assured me he had voided it and then ran it again. However, it was still for the wrong amount. I had to go through the calculation with him several times (room cost - 10% discount and + 12% tax).

The problem was that he didn't know how to work out percentages (which isn't a problem in itself, i'm not very good at maths myself). The problem was his horribly aggressive attitude throughout the time we were talking. When he finally agreed with the amount to be charged to my card he gave me a part cash refund and slammed it down on the desk then stormed into the back. I'm not a naive traveller but I felt very threatened by his attitude and uncomfortable about staying there with this guy as the sole member of staff on duty at night.

The room was dirty and had a lot of ants and there were burns in the bedspread. The carpet was filthy and I kept all my luggage in the car because it was the kind of place where I feared there might be any number of bugs and I didn't want to take them with me in my clothes. The location by the road also made it very noisy. Usually I would have asked for another room but I didn't want to have any further interaction with the front desk guy, so I put up with it for one night.

When I went to check out in the morning, the lady on the front desk immediately told me that the guy from the night before had not voided the incorrect charge but she would do this there and then. She was very nice and helpful and a small ray of sunshine during a horrible stay, but the cost of charging the room the refunding it means I lose around $20 in charges on the card.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I have stayed in incompetent places, I have stayed in dirty places but I have never stayed anywhere were I felt so uncomfortable because of the aggressive attitude of a staff member.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissJDoe
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed for a week on my own. The room was really big with a separate kitchen area and shower room. The rooms are jaded but kept very clean. A big bonus was getting the private beach access. I would awake early and run along the designated beach pathway. Plus I could see and hear the sea from my room. There are not many shops nearby and no bars but I could walk the mile or so to downtown and the 2+ miles to Belmont Shores and the passport bus stops right outside and runs every 15 minutes. This was one of the cheapest hotels in Long Beach yet the closest to the sea. Downside was no air con so had to have the ceiling fan on with the window open. This made it quite noisy, especially as I had a downstairs room. Weekends get busy but weekdays are quiet. The pool area looked a bit grubby so I never used.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Had a family gathering here over 4th of July weekend. We reserved 8 rooms. First of all a few weeks before our stay I received a call saying the place went bankrupt and the prices have been raised by whoever took it over. At that point it was too late for us all to find another place so just agreed to the new prices. Each room had some problems from squeaky showers, ants, no water coming out of shower heads to dirty rooms and dirty pool area. The final straw was unapproved charges on my credit card. I was charged for 3 rooms that were not mine a total of $1,356.00. I was told that the person who reserved these rooms did not cancel them and their credit card was not any good so they put them on my card, is that crazy or what???I am still dealing with them to reverse these charges. At check out there was another couple with complaints of no water in their room for the time they were there. The one positive about this place is the staff, Katie, Melissa and Johnny have all been nice. You guys should take your talents elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have to say that the recent stay at this location was quite pleasant!! The service was great, and to me great customer service says alot. We were looking for a place that was walking distance to the beach, and the Beach Plaza just happend to be steps from it. Very vintage, cool fresh feel. Definitely coming back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2009

All of the reviews are accurate. It was hard to stay here. They staff really is friendly and helpful, but the motel needs major work. the rooms are really not that clean and everything is falling apart. The walls are paper thin. I heard everything from the room next door and everytime a car drove by, and every car that was towed, etc etc. The pool looks nice, but there is no where to lay out. No space. Internet was on and off, on and off...
I doubt i'd stay here again, even if it's my last choice.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2009

They have steps from the hotel right to the beach!!!
We stayed for a few nights during the summer and it was pretty cool.Its just a fun place to hang out fora few days.
Check it out for your self.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple