“This Motel/INN Is The Best Deal In Town!”
Review of Beach Plaza Hotel

Beach Plaza Hotel
Ranked #41 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This smaller size Inn is the best living experience/condition for a budget situation that I have had since I moved to Southern California from San Francisco in December of last year. I have been living in apartment hotels (Highland Gardens Hotel in Hwood), Airbnb.com apartments, VRBO.com condo's, priceline.com last minute 4* wins, all for never more than 135$ per night including taxes. Yes that is my budget. I have been pretty lucky thus far in DTLA and Hollywood but the real deal came with the Beach Plaza Inn in Long Beach with a locked gated private beach access for only its guests to use. Locals have to trek beside the hotel on a dirt hill slipping and sliding on their butts all the way down in a dust cloud. For less than $100 per night I had close to a 1000 square foot apartment with a full kitchen/dining area, spacious living room, king sized bedroom and full bathroom with a swimming pool at my front door. Many of the units face the street and one accesses them via private entrances that guests cannot even tell mask a full service motel. The carpets were clean in every room as well as the furniture and kitchen. The hotel has an industrial carpet cleaner that I saw the maintenance man using on a regular basis. I lived in a couple of different apartments here for two months. I must say that the young group of employees lead by Nicole, a less than 30 year old manager was a breath of fresh aire. I never saw their superior. So without anyone looking over their shoulder, each employee seemed to take personal pride in their job and had run of the place while the other's had time off. Nicole was a familiar face as she works well over a 40 hour week. I saw her pushing a vacuum cleaner right alongside her cleaning crew and often she was the one fulfilling my menial requests always with a smile on her face. The crew, all under 30 yrs excepting for Robert, the night manager (the kind of older gentleman i felt comfortable chit-chatting it up in the lobby on nights where I had trouble sleeping. He always had an ear to lend and a way of sending me on my way with a smile on my face.

Although the Inn currently has a "no pet" policy, they were overly friendly to my service dog who defies all size/breed criteria being a bully breed of over 95lbs. Even though I know they got some slack from other guests asking why they couldn't bring their dogs, they always treated Guinness and I with the utmost respect, fulfilling every request and helping us in any way they possibly could to make our stay even more pleasant.

There are regular rooms coupled by full one bedroom apartments (varying in price based on location (ocean view), balcony, whether the unit has been upgraded, or if it comes with a large jacuzzi inside. There is lots to choose from in terms of accomodation. Sure I had to purchase some kitchen items since I love to cook but the cost was a pittance compared to what it would cost to stay at the Oakwood, Marriott Residence, Extended Stay, Avalon, or Archstone Apartments for two months during high season: July &August.

Not only did I roll into Long Beach in early July with no reservation, but I found a spacious apartment (that did not feel like I was at a hotel) on the beach for less than $100 per night. The rates go down during the Fall/ Winter months. They hotel gives a discount for weekly stays, which is substantial. There is no monthly rates however, which is understandable considering eviction issues that come with and maintaining their status as Inn rather than apartment buildings. There were no bugs like other reviewers said in my experience. I had maid service available each day although I most often did my own cleaning and laundry on site. There is coffee and donuts complimentary each morning and parking for each car which is scarce in the area. I looked inside many of the units during my stay and they were all clean and adequate. Nothing fancy. No 500 thread count Egyptian cotton linens. The upgraded units (apartments) are really nice (3+ stars).

All in all, I recommend bringing the basics from your kitchen at home so that you can prepare your own food in your apartment, especially if you are on a budget. Then you can spend all of the rest of your time at the pool, beach, and exploring all the other eclectic forms of amusement that Long Beach offers. The Inn could not be in a more central location to downtown, Retro Row, The Belmont Pier restaurants, the trendy shops and restaurants on 2nd Street, Belmont Shore, Rosies Dog Beach, the water Taxi's, Naples Island, and the gondola rides are all in a less than 10min car ride from this motel. The city bus stops directly in front of the Beach Plaza Inn. There is a huge (Bixby) green grass covered park kissing the motel. It extends a couple blocks along the coast and stretches across E Ocean Blvd for 3 city blocks. Live jazz or classical music is often played on the weekends and every other Tuesday is a huge farmer's market in the park. It also boasts a skateboard park, and large children's playground, an Art Museum, picnic grounds and plenty of friendly Long Beach locals to keep you informed and from getting lost. Its no wonder the local folks are in such a good mood all the time. We enjoy beachside living for a reasonable price.

If you are an architecture appreciator like myself, you will love looking at the homes and castle like apartment buildings that are sprinkled around town amidst Craftsman homes, mid century modern structures, and 1920's spanish style houses. I just love Long Beach and it is the Beach Plaza Inn that became my first impression of my new lovely place to call home.

Room Tip: I believe you can only find this hotel and book a room/apartment at their private web site. Its easy...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 10, 2012

BEWARE VERY DISHONEST HOTEL MANAGEMENT!!! Room was disgusting. Ants crawling all over the bathroom and in the shower. The carpet had huge holes and rips in every room. None of the doors would close. The room was filthy and their was someone's garbage left in the kitchen. We only stayed the first night because it was late when we arrived. The staff was unfriendly and did not want to answer any of my questions. We checked out the next morning went 1 mile down the street into a really nice hotel. The management is lying and said we never checked out and will not refund our money!! I would not recomend this hotel to my worse enemy. Do yourself a favor and go to the Best Western Plus 1 mile down the street ,,,very friendly and helpful staff...room was very nice!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Longyy22
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for about 10 times. We tried not to pay attention to the old furniture, musty odor, uneven floor, the noise from the street. We were happy with the price and location. But the last time we regretted their choice (9/14/2012-9/19/2012). From our room number 115 out of a suitcase! stolen two new brown leather wallet Fossil. Someone rummaged suitcase while we were in the room and took these purses. I do not recommend staying here.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MarinaKa69
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Room was filthy
Blankets and bed covers had holes in them.
"full kitchen" - had no kitchen amenities
Had stove and fridge - great no plates bowls saucepans etc. rendered the full kitchen useless. Was helpful to have one spoon two forks and one knife tho.

Noisy - no sound proofed windows, do street noise and traffic easily heard.

Within an hour of being in the room legs and ankles were itchy.
Did not feel clean staying in the bed-
Checked out after one nights stay- what was meant to be a weeks stay.
If going to the beach you are better off staying at Huntington, the beaches are much nicer and the area less rough.
Oh and Fitness room-- what fitness room????? Apparently was broken at the moment , the whole room????????

Place was completely run down on the inside staff were uninterested in helping you, and when they did- they didn't knowi anything.
Outside dining area- filthy.

Would never recommend this place to anybody. Over priced, and horrible.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Yepyepyep13
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Getting a laugh about some of these reviews, cuz not sure what people are expecting when they pay less than a Franklin to stay ON THE BEACH in S. Cali. Really folks? Yes, its old, yes it needs a remodel, but if they corrected everything problem you identify, it would be $300 night hotel. So lets get real. Its a clean place, the price and location can not be beat. And its charming. So get over it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Bruce H
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We reserved this hotel just because it was really close to the beach and the price was ok. This hotel had a lot of cons.. The carpet was dirty and wet, my son was wearing white socks and walking with them on the carpet and got them filthy. The bathroom door did not close all the way and did not have a lock. The room was just very small with an old TV.. We had reserved the hotel with free breakfast and with a full kitchen and did not get any of those amenities.. I felt like I was in a prison cell, it only had one small window above the table. When we first went to get in the room the keys didn't work and had to go back, they asked us if we wanted free wifi which did not even work. I can go on and on about this place.. Was more like a heap motel.. Not worthy it.. Should'nt even be at that great location.. I would not recommend it...

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Sweetlove182001
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed here for our 32nd anniversary with friends. We booked the two-bedroom suite with ocean view, and received what we requested. It was more like being in a two-bedroom apartment. Plenty of privacy for each couple, plus the shared living/kitchen space. Admitedly, the place is old, but for the value, the view and the friendliness of the staff, it was worth every penny and more. Staff was terrific!!! Not a question they could not answer, and they could not have been more helpful if we had paid them extra. We definitely plan on returning!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple