“Really nice "dive" motel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Beach Plaza Hotel

Beach Plaza Hotel
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Really nice "dive" motel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed at the Beach Plaza Hotel (which is more like a motel) with a friend (we are both 25 years old) for four nights and would stay again. We booked a package through Expedia, and chose this hotel because of the stairs that lead down to the beach and the cheapness. There is free parking, which is also a plus. One night when we got back, all the spots were taken, but the manager had us park in one of the front employee spots.

The City Beach in Long Beach is not good for swimming because of the garbage and debris on the beach, so if swimming in the ocean is the reason you're chosing this hotel, think again.

Our room was nice. The sheets on our beds came off easily, but I toss and turn a lot in my sleep so that may be my fault.

The shower head could use some serious CLR love, because the water sprayed in all sorts of crazy directions, but the shower temp was good and the pressure was decent. The towels were a bit rough, but they give you plenty. There was a table and two chairs in our room, and both of the chairs were a bit wobbly. The steam from a long shower I took also set off the smoke alarm, so from then on I made sure to keep a window open.

There wasn't much lighting, so doing my makeup was a crapshoot and I always had to go to a window to make sure I looked ok. Another quirky thing is that our key didn't always work. We usually got our door to open on the second try, but sometimes we had to give it 6 or 7.

There is a nice looking pool that we didn't use, and guest laundry with one washer and dryer. The place was quiet and there were lounge chairs at the back of the parking lot on two patios for sitting and chilling. They absolutely do not tolerate partying but were totally cool with letting my friend and I take a couple six packs back to the chairs to drink and relax.

The breakfast was a tray of packaged pastries, which was nice to snack on before heading out for the day.

All in all, it was a nice place to stay if you're not too concerned with it being the Hilton.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

The price at the Beach Plaza can't be beat, considering the location. Steps from the sand, great views, very convenient for everything in Long Beach....easy to get downtown, to the CSULB campus, to Belmont Shores, or to PCH and points further South.

The double Queen Bed room wasvery spacious, the beds were comfy, and we were far enough off the street that noise was not an issue. Views both directions were excellent...caught both sunrise and sunset!

The bathroom is old and funky, but the water pressure was fine and the hot water was better than I've had in many "major" hotels. Same with the room heater....very old, but worked perfectly, and much quieter than in most "major" hotels. It was cold outside, but comfy inside.

The staff was very accomodating. The coffee and packaged pastries in the AM are nothing to get excited about, but they're better than nothing.

I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank doublerdad
Chattanooga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed at the Beach Plaza Hotel in December of 2010 and it was a great experience! The staff was amazing and very helpful. Don't let the pictures fool you, the hotel is newly renovated and very pleasant. The location is great. Close to local attractions and only steps away from the beach. The Plaza is no HIlton, but it is all you need if you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in Long Beach. I was very pleased with my stay there. I would definitely stay again if I find myself in Long Beach!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Samantha_0991
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is an older but remodeled hotel and what a great find for Long Beach! It was very well priced! The staff, Mike and Nicole were fantastic! addressing any questions or concerns with a smile! They made a great first impression! The room was very clean, and I guess one of the bigger rooms with 2 bedrooms. It was facing the pool which was heated and sparkling clean.. The beds were very comfortable, and we were pleasantly surprised based on some former negativity from some of the reviewers! There was a private gate for guests when led down redwood stairs to the beach, really handy for a morning walk. I don't need a fancy hotel, I'd rather spend my money on local restaurants, attractions. My only negative remark is parking was tight, but the hotel staff came out and helped us find a place to park when the lot was full.. So it's really not so negative! Overall a very great experience and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank PyrateWench
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

When we got to Long Beach it was only a 2 day trip and we did not book a hotel, so we drove up and down the streets looking for something nice but cheap, we found out fast that hotels in Long Beach are not cheap and most aren't even off the beach. So we stopped in the Beach Plaza hotel to check the rates, staff was very friendly and the rate was right so we went with it. The man at the front desk (seemed maybe to be the owner or manager) informed us that they only had one room left for the night and that the location wasn't the best. For the price we didn't care. When we got to the room the entrance was in the back of the hotel not near parking, facing the back street and nice condos next door, not bad so far. The room was pretty out dated, but spacious and clean. The bathroom was small and mold in the shower. The humidity in the room so was bad though that everything felt wet, there was no ac to cut down the humidity either, though the weather in long beach doesn't need ac as the fan cooled the room just fine, ac would've been nice for the humidity. As the sun went down and the room got dark, spiders started to come out in every corner in the ceiling, after we killed about 5 of them no more came out and a good night sleep was in store... or so i thought... during the night we kept the window cracked to cut some of the humidity but bad idea! The noise outside didn't stop! From loud cars from the street, the room next door had a screen door on it and it must have slammed 4 times during the night, and boat horns nonstop all night. On the better note now the location is amazing, with beach access right from the parking lot! We were given a key for the gate and it opened to a staircase and lead right to the beach. The views of the ocean and the location right off the beach and the price it overlooked the negatives of this hotel and if the rate stayed the same I'd stay here again! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to not spend a lot of money but still wants to be on the beach!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xnovavoltagex
Sainte-Julie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

I say OK Motel because I do not think that it should be hotel category. The room (117) was big enough. 2 separate rooms with double beds. Kitchenette with fridge and coffee pot. Some amenities and coffee included. Bathroom was on the small side but ok. The room had a very musty smell and my guess is that this room has not been rented out for a while. The bathroom and tub had ants all over but the second day, there were no more ants to be seen so I guess the maid took care of that. I stayed there 3 nights with my daughter and liked the location. But I would suggest a car to get around. I loved the fact that when I woke up in the morning, I would sit on the bench facing the ocean and just relax drinking my coffee. Complimentry breakfast was a joke. The coffee was ok but....don't look for anything but for cheap pastries in plastic bags bought at the grocery store. Last but not least, the motel has a pool but was out-of-order the 3 days I was there. Overall, this Motel was ok if you know what to expect. I am a travel agent and would I recommend this place to my customers? Probably but with caution.

• Stayed September 2010

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Cedar Rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

I am here right now. This hotel room is like a one bedroom apartment. Living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. The staff keeps the rooms very clean. The location is perfect. The hotel sits on a hill looking over the beach. In the evening you may watch the sunset and listen to the waves crash onto the beach below. In the front of the hotel is the tourist main drag so that you can people watch or join right in with the fun. Restaurants, shopping, and local businesses are just a few blocks away. The hotel offers bike rentals that are at a discount rate. I will stay here again next year.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,186 reviews
The Pacific Inn
The Pacific Inn
#2 of 3 in Seal Beach

Been to Beach Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!