“Amazing service, cleanliness”

Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Long Beach
Moreno Valley, California
“Amazing service, cleanliness”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We came out for the comic convention and wanted to spend the night. The hotel is only three blocks from the Convention Center. Upon entering, we were greeted in very friendly fashion and offered bottled water or coffee. We were shown around - where the wine tasting would be and the continental breakfast, as well as the fruit available all day - and then up to our rooms. We had to take the stairs up a couple of short flights in the vintage building. The hotel is well lit, clean and comfortable. The rooms are small but smartly designed. The bed was very comfortable. The price was much more reasonable than any other hotel with anywhere near this level of comfort and convenience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheFranci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I would recommend the Varden to anyone who is traveling to Long Beach, Los Angeles or even San Diego. The hotel is very chic and hip and all of the employees make you feel at home. Owner Larry Black takes the time to meet and greet every guest. I can't say enough FABULOUS things about this hotel. I will stay there anytime I am in the Los Angeles area without a doubt.

San Francisco
Reviewed October 5, 2009

The Varden defines why boutique hotels are so much better than the cookie cutter hotels. The rooms were designed with great care, patience, insight, and love of the task to be done, and it shows.

The bed was smallish in our downstairs room, but I was told that there are queen sized beds on the second floor. The bathrooms just made me grin with pleasure to see; Swedish faucets on a rectangular lav with a circular mirror backlit over the sink. Free Wi-Fi. Some of the best fresh-brewed coffee I've ever had in a hotel.

And the praise goes on; ask for recommendations for dinner and you'll be steered to the best of whatever you want one block over on Pine Street. I wanted to drop by Whole Foods and was provided with a fresh print-out from Mapquest. Service as an art form still lives at The Varden Hotel.

There were pleasant conversations with the staff every time I asked for help, directions, whatever. A follow-up thank you email with a remembered nod to conversations we had at the hotel.

The Varden Hotel takes care and service to the top level, and the rooms mirror those same qualities. When in Long Beach, you've got The Varden; don't miss it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
LAS
Reviewed September 30, 2009

Staying here exceeded my expectations, minimalist european decor, white on white feather bedding, good morning coffee, free internet access, wine tasting afternoons, and peaceful nights. Add to it a polite and helpful staff going out of their way to accommodate you, and some extras like a flat screen TV, ipod dock, blow dryer. Everything in perfect working order.
The location is perfect, walking distance to the beach, shops, restaurants and the Long Beach Convention Center.
This is the typical, ¨ you can´t go wrong ¨ great price boutique hotel. I highly recommend it, and would definitely make it my favorite Long Beach hotel. Bear in mind I prefer personalized smaller hotels as long as they have this kind of high quality service. I am also comparing it to high end hotels from several countries.
Just simply loved it!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I found and selected this hotel solely based on Trip Advisor recommendations while I was searching for accommodations halfway between Los Angeles and Orange County for numerous business meetings. I can't recommend it enough to business travelers and anyone looking to find a reasonably priced hotel without sacrificing style, cleanliness and service in Southern California. My recent stay at the Varden was outstanding, thanks in great part to Larry, Charles and the rest of the hotel staff. As noted in the many other reviews, the service here is unlike anything I've experienced at larger or boutique hotels and made all the difference. The rooms are simple but immaculate and well thought out for business travelers. The wireless was incredibly fast and reliable, the access to fresh fruit and bottled water most appreciated, and the beds were amazingly comfortable, especially for a pregnant woman like myself.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I stayed at the Varden for 2 nights in late Sept 09. It is the antithesis of the Marriott and other chain hotels, and a good choice for the adventurous traveler. The room was small but stylish, and included a flat screen tv. The owner and staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. The wine/snacks between 5-7pm is a nice touch. The continental breakfast is adequate. The hotel is 1 block west of Pine and 4 blocks north of the Convention Center. I'm a city person so the neighborhood didn't bother me but if urban landscapes get you nervous, this might not be the right hotel for you.

Oklahoma
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed 4 nights here. Upon arrival I knew this would be a great stay. Carla was so friendly, gracious and extremely serving. Carla even changed my room to the 1st floor as stairs are a problem for me. The Continental Breakfast and wine and snacks in the evening were quite wonderful. There was always coffee service available 24 hours and bottled water as well. For me this hotel is just the right size. The owners Larry and Charles take a personal interest in thier guests. They made me feel like I was the only guest in the hotel. Then you can be delightfully entertained by the beautiful Angela. She has the ability to make you feel extremely comfortable while again making me feel like I was the only guest. Mike is there at night time and sets a wonderful Continental Breakfast, he is also very friendly. The rooms are extremely clean and the hotel "smells" great! The bed was most comfortable wish i knew what kind it was. Maybe they will tell me. :)

Thank you for causing my business trip to be oh so much more delightful!!!