“Four Star Luxury. Five Star Service. Stay Here for any Trip to Southern California!”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Baltimore
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I chose The Varden because I am used to nice hotels, but I needed an affordable place to stay for a seven-day trip visiting a friend in Long Beach. I will return to the Varden for the modern European decor, comfortable rooms, over-the-top service, and the little extras that make a trip enjoyable. In fact, I will stay at The Varden no matter which city I visit in Southern California.

Convenience

The Varden is in the downtown area of Long Beach and close to fun shops, a spa, the Aquarium, and restaurants. If you need to get to downtown L.A., a metro station is right outside the doors. You can use Gold's Gym across the street for $10 a day for your workouts. There is a grocery store right down the street.

The Space

The Varden has a lovely lobby and a nice, bright space where guests can mingle during the morning continental breakfast, the afternoon wine reception, or in any off hour. There is a flat screen television, coffee, a big fruit bowl, ice, and bottled water.

My room was very comfortable. The bed was heavenly. The hotel provides your choice of pillows and luxurious linens. When I asked for an extra blanket they provided me with a soft down duvet.

I was on the main floor, and I felt very safe because the areas outside my window were secured. I was able to open the windows without worrying about my safety or privacy. The air conditioner works perfectly by remote control as well.

I chose the smallest room. It was very small, but it was surprisingly easy to fit seven days worth of clothes, toiletries, and beach gear. I always over-pack for vacations.

There is a small spot to hang clothes. I thought I wouldn't be able to hang anything, but the tiny rack held sixteen hangers or more. I just asked for more hangers when I arrived. There is a big space for luggage and other items under the bed. Folded clothes fit in a small drawer built into the bed. I used the bedside cube for a book, glasses, jewelry, and other extras. From the pictures on the website, I couldn't see how the desk would work, but my laptop fit nicely and I was able to work there comfortably. The desk chair was very comfortable, but it was hard to move around on the carpet.

There is a big screen TV on the wall. I didn't ever watch it because I was too busy having fun.

In the bathroom, I hung toiletries in a valet on the wall. The small soap dish held two travel sized shampoos, conditioner, shaving cream, soap, and a razor. The hotel provides aromatic Gilchrist and Soames soaps, shampoo and lotion. They also provide comfortable towels and a blow dryer. An iron and ironing board are provided upon request. Again, I was surprised at having space to hang three large towels, three hand towels, and a floor mat. The bathroom was very clean, and the cleaning crew kept it spotless for all seven days.

The Little Extras

A continental breakfast is served in the mornings and a wine reception with snacks is served in the late afternoon. It was fun to meet other guests and visit with Larry and Charles, the owners. Larry and Charles treated me like an old friend and were full of ideas and information for activities and events throughout Southern California and the Long Beach area. Larry even offered to take me to a gallery stroll. The guest hosts, Jamie, Carla, and Mike, were also friendly, welcoming, and ready to assist with anything needed or wanted. They also felt like old friends.

The Service

During my stay I was very happy with the service. Every interaction with the staff, including the cleaning crews, was extra friendly, polite, and more than I would have expected. When I felt like being friendly they were there to interact with. When I wanted privacy they didn't bother me.

It didn't end there for me. At the end of my stay I had a pretty serious body boarding accident in Laguna Beach. When I got back from the emergency room, I was still very sick and needed help. Mike, the guest host during the nights, spent hours with me giving me food, making sure I was comfortable, looking up doctors, and finally calling an ambulance when I needed one. He stayed right by my side when the paramedics were there asking me all sorts of questions and getting me into the ambulance. All of this happened between midnight and 6 a.m. When I returned from my ordeal, Larry and Charles offered to get me anything I needed. I took them up on the offer and they were back in minutes with everything I asked for. Jamie and Carla checked up on me and also made sure I was comfortable.

Larry even sent me an e-mail from the staff when I returned checking to see how I was. They went so far out of their way that I felt like I was staying with family. It was amazing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Diana S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Behind its plain vanilla exterior, The Varden in Long Beach, CA is one of the best small boutique hotels that I have ever experienced, and an incredible value. Stayed four nights while attending a conference at the nearby Convention Center (four easy blocks away) and wished that I could have stayed longer. Clean, modern design, spotless interior, very comfortable bed, flat screen TV, thoughtful details, free wireless, wine tastings, carefully-selected coffees, friendly staff and owners who cannot do enough to please their guests, are among its many outstanding features. Is this a hotel or a New Age B&B? It's hard to tell the difference. Five stars, and I will look forward to coming back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I was in Long Beach for just one night so I could watch my goddaughter graduate from high school. In all honesty, The Varden nearly outshined the happy event. What a gem of a hotel--immaculate, inviting, and comfortable. And the owners! They could not have been warmer or more hospitable had they been downing happy pills all day long. The room itself is small, but brilliantly laid out so you don't feel cramped. Parking is right next to the hotel, and at $10 is a bargain, especially compared to the $30 to $40 you can easily spend for parking at chain hotels. The complimentary breakfast goes way beyond standard continental fare and is a particularly nice touch.

In the words of the governator . . . I'll be back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Everywhere
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I decided to stay at the Varden Hotel at the last minute. I am so glad I did. This place is perfect! I have traveled before and stayed at chain Inns and franchise Hhotels however this place was like being at home. I prefer small and personal places to stay versus a huge lobby with random strangers milling about with non personal staff memebrs who are just there to work. At the Varden Hotel you get personalized service and genuine kindness. This hotel is reasonably priced but regardless of the money, the value you get just from a serene, extraordinarly clean and super modern. The rooms are small but I am not trying to have a party in my room, it is the size of your average bedroom with the most comfortable bed, very plush. The bathroom is so cute, the shower is pure luxury. Everything about this place is more than I could have ask for. It is true less is more becuase the quality is so high.
I am staying there again next week!!!

Toronto
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I was very impressed during my stay at the Varden with the friendly and helpful staff. The rooms, though small by American standards, are modern and well appointed. I appreciated the complimentary Wi-Fi and evening wine tasting. Don't be put off by the forelorn look of the parking lots around the hotel as it is a short walk to restaurants and the harbourfront. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and definitely would stay there again!

ArnoldMD
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I stayed at the Varden while attending show at the Long Beach Convention Center. I have been to Long Beach beforre and stayed at the brand named hotels, but since I work for small intimate Caribbean resorts I really prefer smaller hotels.

I can not say enough about the staff at the hotel. Very friendly and they went out of their way to make my stay perfect. The staff enjoyed doing that little extra.

Room was very clean. Bed was great for sleeping, and had all the amenities I needed while on the road. Continental breakfast was good as well as the wine from 5 to 7 each evening

I will be returning to The Varden when staying in Long Beach

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 15, 2009

This hotel is clean. There is no other way to describe it. The hotel is kept immaculate. If you want a CLEAN, modest priced room, this is it, so don't look any further.

Here are some of my comments:
No elevator.
Rooms are tiny. Some are simply too small for a couple.
The rooms are small, even by New York standards. The hotel has done an excellent job of providing light and an appearance of space.
I was disappointed with the service after everything I read on line. When we checked in, I was surprised that we had a room with a double, not queen bed. It was not going to be a comfortable night. I asked for a queen bed and the only one was on the third floor (remember, this is a walk up). When I asked if we could leave, I was told, yes, but we would still have to pay. That was disappointing and something we could not afford. It was a cramped night.
The title of my review pretty much sums up what I really liked about the Varden. The property is immaculate. The design is superior and makes the most of a very small space. I am certain I would have liked the property more if the bed had been ample size.

I would recommend the hotel to singles, but not a couple.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple