“Never Disappoints” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Never Disappoints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Good location, European feel, very clean, great beds, lush towels, and the best staff! It's nice to know that every time my husband and I revisit it's a top rated experience. The staff make you feel like family and they're always glad to help you with anything you need. We visit Long Beach at least two times a year and we don't ever give it a second thought to stay anywhere else. The Varden is a hidden jewel in Long Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PortlandLuv2Travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Varden for one week during a conference. The room does not have a closet, which made things a bit cramped for such a long stay. For a single person for only a couple of nights, it would be fine. The bed was too soft for me, but many people consider that a luxury, so I won't knock it. On the positive side, the staff was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful, and I received a personal email from the owner thanking me for my stay afterwards (and it was clear that it was not a batch email and he knew exactly who I was). Also, free wine tastings from 5-7 each day! Who can beat that!? Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and would consider it again, though I do prefer a slightly less "luxurious" bed and a bit more space.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt R
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at the Varden on a business trip to Long Beach because I wanted to stay an extra day after to see some of the area. It was an easy and safe walk down to the Aquarium and very close to a bunch of great places to eat. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating and the rooms, though small, were quite clean.

I'd say I'd stay there again, but I already have! Upon my second visit, i was pleasantly surprised to find a handwritten note in my room welcoming me back. You just don't get service like that in a large hotel. I hope I have an opportunity to return to southern Cal again soon since finding a place to stay is already taken care of!

** This review is actually from Summer 2011 (May and June) - review requires a date, but only let me choose back one year. Yeah - a little late on this review! **

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Yes...this is the place to stay in Downtown Long Beach! The hotel is boutique and the owners are on site taking care of your every need along with the very pleasant staff. The rooms are clean and crisp. They have a continental breakfast, fresh fruit always available, a lovely wine tasting in the evening. The buildings in Downtown Long Beach have so much history and this hotel shares in that fun history with a new updated tone. The rooms are not huge but they are immaculate and the staff being so 'at the ready' makes that a real non-issue. I will definitely stay here again because with any travel it's how a hotel takes care of your needs and this place goes above and beyond.

Room Tip: You can hit Gold's Gym right up the street at a discounted daily rate so ask about that deal if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KJL L
Brandon, SD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was in Long Beach recently for a conference and stayed at The Varden hotel. The hotel is charming and as is the staff, and the price is very reasonable considering the location and all the amenities, etc. Plus their customer service is outstanding. Our room was clean as could be and very comfortable. We needed to reschedule our shuttle for the airport and the staff went above and beyond to help us out of a jam. For all these reasons and more, I would highly recommend The Varden.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've spent a bit of time in Las Vegas, but this was our first time staying in Long Beach. My girlfriend and I were absolutely stunned with the amazing staff and knowledge of the area they all possessed. They were very accommodating and helped us out everyday. Whether it be suggesting restaurants or aiding in public transit, they really seemed to know everything! The rooms were slightly small, but everything is what you make it. We'll certainly be going back!

• Stayed April 2013
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was in Long Beach for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Varden. The staff went out of their way to welcome me and were extremely helpful with information about the area. The room was small, but tastefully decorated and the building has been updated nicely. I chose to walk 15 minutes to reach the LB Conference Center and enjoyed the opportunity to explore the neighborhood with many excellent restaurant and bar choices. I plan to visit again and treat my wife to a get-away-weekend.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room next to the stairwell
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business