“Independent Gem”

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Los Angeles
“Independent Gem”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. I stayed at the Varden during the BIL Conference, and many of my cohorts were guests as well. The easy accolades first: the staff is outstanding, the location is convenient, the price is right. The rooms are perfectly appointed and just the right size. Indeed the description "boutique hotel" is fitting and puts the Varden in the good company of many small European hotels, both in style and substance. Two of us shared a bright, sunny room and there was no problem with moving about. (Even so, we weren't in Long Beach to stay in our room.) The free WiFi was a bonus as well as the morning coffee and breakfast. Cinco de Mayo restaurant next door was cheap and tasty, as well. If you're looking for a place to feel comfortable and taken care of at the end of your day, the Varden is for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank amamspip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I attend the TED conference every year, and discovered the Varden three years ago when all other hotels in Long Beach were fully-booked. I loved it so much I have stayed there ever since for TED week. I cannot recommend the Varden too highly. Exceptionally conveniently located, it has far more character and wonderfully friendly and personal service versus the other hotel choices in Long Beach. The rooms are small but perfectly formed :) I've occupied the same room, Room 35, for the past three years' stays; it's beautifully light with a nice view of sunset and sunrise, and a very comfortable bed. The breakfast and the wine happy hours served in the lounge downstairs are a great little inclusive bonus, and conveniently right next door is some of the best Mexican food I've tasted, at Cinco de Mayo. In fact, my only regret about TED leaving Long Beach for Vancouver, is that I will no longer be staying at the Varden. If I come back to Long Beach this is the only place to stay. I urge you to give it a whirl.

Room Tip: I recommend my room - Room 35. It's right at the back so very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CindyGallop
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I arrived late in Long Beach and used my phone to look up hotels in the area. At the time of this writing, this hotel had the best rating.

I set my gps to it and quickly got there and checked in.

First the good: The guys that run this place are great, helpful and they are the best part of this hotel.

The bad: The hotel itself has no elevators, many floors, amd when you enter the room you realize that it is very small.

There is no view, if you add a second bed to the room, you wouldn't be able to open the door, so it is really small.

No closets, just a space next to the door with about 5 hangers.

The bathroom: there is this large mirror in the room next to the bed, then you realize that it slides over like one of those built in closets. Well, once you slide it all the way over you can see the small bathroom is behind the mirror.

There's a toilet, a sink that has no room for your shaving stuff let alone a brush and a shower that basically is next to the toilet... And because it shares the same floor next to the toilet (except for a small raised border that outlines the shower area in the form of a square) the water tends to splash out and wet the bathroom floor. Its like having a mini bathroom in a closet.

Of course if you close the sliding mirror while you are in the bathroom, it doesn't seal, and anybody in the bedroom will clearly hear all your bathroom noises. Very sexy (yes a bit of sarcasm intended here).

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank DrLife
335p, Owner at The Varden Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Dr. Life,

Thank you for your feedback on our property. We value all of our guests opinions. We are delighted that you found our front desk staff "great and helpful". Like many European Boutique Properties, The Varden is a historical building with 3 floors. The 'unique design and features' of our guest rooms are not typical of the traditional hotel room. Our guest hosts are available 24/7 to assist with luggage, dining options, airline assistance, tours and all other requests to guarantee a most enjoyable and comfortable stay.

We do apologize that we did not live up to your expectations.

Best Regards,

Larry
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I accidentally ran across this little hotel while searching for a B&B in the area. The photos on the website seemed to promise a clean and crisp European-ness. I was more than pleased to walk in the front door to not just the promise fulfilled but to that certain luxury called service. The staff immediately asked if they could of any specific help; I no sooner said that we were there for an antique show than we were handed a printed map to our destination and other such events. The rooms are as concise and edited as they can possibly be, but leave nothing out. Of particular charm to me is the sliding mirrored wall that slips easily along to provide privacy for the bathroom. Service, style and location make this little gem a keeper. Thanks to the staff and owners--The Bills

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Billy S
SF, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Do you know how so many hotels seem identical: no character, nothing to distinguish last night's stay in DC from tonight's stay in Seattle?

This is not one of those hotels.

I travel most of the time, and yet if you put me blindfolded in a Varden room and remove my blindfold and I will know exactly where I am. The proprietors have taken a 1929 basic hotel and worked wonders. Yes, the rooms are small, but the renovations are wicked clever: you don't feel like you're boxed in. Reminiscent of downtown European hotels, but with a totally Californian feel.

I've been coming to the Varden for years for the annual TED Conference, and I'd much rather have the character and the value of being here compared to a Westin or its like, the kinds of places I normally stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

All the staff that I had any conversations with were extremely friendly and helpful. It made no difference whether it was a week-day, week-end, day, or night; house keeping, or front desk.

And, unlike most hotels that I have stayed at, they follow through with a request not to replace towels by hanging towel on towel rack. In my travels, all hotels seem to have those little tents with instructions to follow for a way of helping the environment; but, none actually abide by them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gary T
San Marcos, Ca
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a great European style boutique hotel. Great location, really friendly and helpful staff, and nice wine tasting in the evening where you can meet other guests. The rooms are compact but clean and very utilitarian. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple