“Perfect Stay in Long Beach”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We traveled across the West USA and stayed in many hotels, but this one was the best for us.
The rooms are not very large, but modern, efficient, clean and... cute! We loved our room.
And we are Germans and therefore we loved the coffee downstairs so much! They put two (!) excellent espresso makers for self service into the little, very communicative breakfast corner. After having so many "American coffees" this was very much appreciated. And by the way the breakfast offer is small, but excellent. And as you sit close together with the other guests in this little corner you automatically will come in contact with the others. That was good as we exchanged with the other many good hints what to see in LA.
But the very best is the staffing. All are very nice, helpful, friendly and whatever you are going to ask for, they really try to do their best to fulfill your wishes. That was just great!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Really enjoyed stay at The Varden- great staff, good location and cheap parking!! We used this hotel as a base for exploring the pacific coast south of LA. The rooms are on the small side but were clean and comfortable! The shampoo & moisturizers were fabulous!!

Only thing- I was travelling with a friend and found the room a bit too small for the both of us! I think it would be ok if you were a couple or travelling alone.
Would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The lobby of the Varden is white and chic and nothing like its surrounding area. The great sign on top of the hotel gives a clue to the feel of the hotel. We arrived by car and parking is provided on a first come first served basis which is great . It's not situated in the smartest part of town and I was glad we had the car to get out and about . I don't think I'd like our daughters having to get back there after a night out . Our room was tiny . We found as we checked out it was the smallest there. It was like a college room with every bit of space used , there wasn't a wardrobe but a hanger coming out of the wall and behind the mirror was the loo and shower . It is very intimate so make sure you know you room mate very well ! But the basin had a waterfall tap, the air con was very efficient and the bed although small by American standards was comfy and the room was spotless.Breakfast is provided in a small cubbyhole near the lobby . The coffee was great and there was orange juice muffins ,and cereals. We met Larry Black one of the owners and he was just lovely. He gave us great info on our trip to Laguna Beach and recommended a great restaurant . I've never stayed anywhere like the Varden before and it took me a little while to get used to it but it had everything we wanted and the staff and Mr Black were so friendly I would definately say give it a try .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bearskins
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My partner and I spent 4 nights at The Varden and really enjoyed our stay.
We arrived after a long flight and were greeted by the nicest, perkiest staff ever. At the time we thought that we would experience this kind of service all over the USA but did not. This staff here were helpful, friendly and happy.
The rooms are small but comfortable, quiet and clean. It was in a good location, close to the metro stop for Downtown and Hollywood - no more than a two minute walk. It is close to cafes, restaurants and a supermarket.
Breakfast consisted of mini muffins, oats, fruit, yoghurt, tea, coffee, etc and water, ice, coffee and fruit is available all day.
They also had an afternoon wine tasting with biccies, but we didn't do that.
The rooms are really modern and fresh and I would definately stay here again and highly recommend it.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jammmsy
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Having spent 25+ years in the hospitality business, I have a tendency to subconsciously critique the hotels where I stay. Upon my lunchtime arrival I was met warmly by Larry and Jose. These two gentlemen epitomize the true meaning of exceptional guest service. Although my room was not quite ready, they found another room which would be clean in 5 minutes. They inquired as to why I was visiting Long Beach, and when I told them I was here for the 2012 Perform Better Functional Training Summit, they informed me that they had an agreement with a nearby Gold's Gym in the event I wanted to work out. After a brief tour of the property, an invitation to the nightly wine tasting, and directions to a variety of restaurants, I dropped my bags off in my room and was off to my conference.While the rooms are small, they are well laid out and very efficient. Locking the entrance door nightly at 9:00 so only hotel guests had access made me feel very safe and secure. Each morning I was greeted by Larry as I left for my event, and I received a welcome back each evening. Upon my departure, the Sunday desk hostess was warm and friendly, and ensured my transportation arrangment was running on time. I cannot recall finding a friendlier staff anywhere else.

Room Tip: As this hotel has only a few dozen rooms, make your reservation well in advance. Rooms at the far en...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Don H
Reviewed August 18, 2012

When we were a block away from the Varden and saw the tiny hotel with a sign touting a bath in every room, it gave me pause. What had I done booking this place? When the doors slid open, the clean white lobby beamed at us, as did the proprietor and staff. "Here for the concert?" (Okay, our garb screamed "Phish fans.") These people are friendly, enthusiastic, helpful and deservedly proud of their hotel. Jose showed us to our room. It's tiny, to be sure, but very clean and incredibly well organized to make use of the space. I must admit that the tiny shower took some getting used to. The bed was super comfy. They provide an abundance of wine and snacks. The lobby is inviting and conducive to meeting the interesting folks who elect to stay here. It's half a block away from the Pacific Ave. Blue Line stop, just a half-mile walk to the Long Beach Arena and convenient to everything in the downtown area. You want service? I mentioned that the drain in our shower was very slow. They had a plumber show up at 8:00 p.m. while we were away at the concert. When we returned late that night, the lady at the front desk immediately informed us that the problem was remedied and it was. We will stay here anytime we visit the Beach and you should consider it, too.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IntrepidinCal
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Firstly and probably most importantly the staff here really take the time & effort to help. The rooms are funky, well laid out & clean. There is an evening wine tasting and snacks in a little nook behind the lobby which I found was a nice way to chat with some other tourists from abroad and Americans. A truly wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple