“Excellent Independent Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Sparks, Nevada
“Excellent Independent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Having spent 25+ years in the hospitality business, I have a tendency to subconsciously critique the hotels where I stay. Upon my lunchtime arrival I was met warmly by Larry and Jose. These two gentlemen epitomize the true meaning of exceptional guest service. Although my room was not quite ready, they found another room which would be clean in 5 minutes. They inquired as to why I was visiting Long Beach, and when I told them I was here for the 2012 Perform Better Functional Training Summit, they informed me that they had an agreement with a nearby Gold's Gym in the event I wanted to work out. After a brief tour of the property, an invitation to the nightly wine tasting, and directions to a variety of restaurants, I dropped my bags off in my room and was off to my conference.While the rooms are small, they are well laid out and very efficient. Locking the entrance door nightly at 9:00 so only hotel guests had access made me feel very safe and secure. Each morning I was greeted by Larry as I left for my event, and I received a welcome back each evening. Upon my departure, the Sunday desk hostess was warm and friendly, and ensured my transportation arrangment was running on time. I cannot recall finding a friendlier staff anywhere else.

Room Tip: As this hotel has only a few dozen rooms, make your reservation well in advance. Rooms at the far en...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Don H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

When we were a block away from the Varden and saw the tiny hotel with a sign touting a bath in every room, it gave me pause. What had I done booking this place? When the doors slid open, the clean white lobby beamed at us, as did the proprietor and staff. "Here for the concert?" (Okay, our garb screamed "Phish fans.") These people are friendly, enthusiastic, helpful and deservedly proud of their hotel. Jose showed us to our room. It's tiny, to be sure, but very clean and incredibly well organized to make use of the space. I must admit that the tiny shower took some getting used to. The bed was super comfy. They provide an abundance of wine and snacks. The lobby is inviting and conducive to meeting the interesting folks who elect to stay here. It's half a block away from the Pacific Ave. Blue Line stop, just a half-mile walk to the Long Beach Arena and convenient to everything in the downtown area. You want service? I mentioned that the drain in our shower was very slow. They had a plumber show up at 8:00 p.m. while we were away at the concert. When we returned late that night, the lady at the front desk immediately informed us that the problem was remedied and it was. We will stay here anytime we visit the Beach and you should consider it, too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IntrepidinCal
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Firstly and probably most importantly the staff here really take the time & effort to help. The rooms are funky, well laid out & clean. There is an evening wine tasting and snacks in a little nook behind the lobby which I found was a nice way to chat with some other tourists from abroad and Americans. A truly wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ddv73
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Everything about The Varden is awesome; Great clean rooms, easy on-site parking, free wi-fi, helpful staff and ideal location. The owner was helpful pointing us to many great restaurants and attractions. The bed was so comfortable. Loved the ability to open the windows and let the cool breeze blow into the room. Central location and lots of charm. I recommend the hotel. I would stay there again!

Stayed August 2012
3 Thank tejasfox
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I can't say enough but how well I was treated. I stayed a week my girlfriend & I felt like family with the staff. The room was very clean and comfortable. The wine tasting in the evening lead us to meet great people from all over. Larry was there every morning offering help from finding times to getting directions or just there for small talk. If you would like a change from the Big Box hotel The Varden is for you. Close to the water front and Pine St. also the convention centre. I would go back and stay as the service was amazing. Thanks again to Larry and Staff for making my stay perfect.
Tim A.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim A
Temuco, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I find a very nice boutique hotel, that does not pretend to be a super hotel, but you will find a minimalist comfortable space with very good environment.
The personnel is always there to assist you living a big gap within this kind of hotels and traditional one. It is highly recommended.

Muy buena localizacion y fantastico personal haciendo notar su constante preocupacion en tu estadia.

Congratulaciones

Sebastian

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sebastian M
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Truly a boutique hotel. Plenty of character and the care put in the decoration and the genuine cordiality of the staff made for a wonderful stay.

Location in Long Beach is in a bit of a urban gritty neighborhood but convenient to downtown and convention center.

Decor and amenities are minimal but adequate. Everything is white and spotless. The sink is so small that it is difficult to squeeze your head under the small glass shelf to wash your face.
The bed was wonderful.