“A hidden gem that will make your stay in Long Beach great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Long Beach
San Diego
“A hidden gem that will make your stay in Long Beach great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

The Varden is a great little hotel right in the heart of it in Long Beach. The historic building has been completely renovated and the rooms are well appointed, but what really "makes" this place is the staff - they are very friendly and helpful from the moment you walk in until you check out. The hotel has a great vibe that seems to infuse all the guests. It just seems natural to chat with the other guests during the happy hour and breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SlideShowMike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have to say that Larry runs a great hotel. It is by far the best service that I have received in 30 years. The place is right down the best spot in Long Beach. Near the congregation, cohiba, sevilla, and so many other great restaurants and hang outs. A walk to the convetion center, the beach, and the QE2.

The rooms and the whole place is just brand new. Very modern. Super clean. Amazing. I have twitted about it as well.

Check it out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CIOMaster
Leonia NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

I love the Varden Hotel and give it my highest recommendation! I went there for the first time in March and have returned twice; I would not think of staying anywhere else after my visit there. The incredibly comfortable mattresses and pillows provide the perfect night's sleep. The service is extremely friendly, helpful and just plain fun. The Varden Hotel has spoiled me; now everywhere I stay I compare the cleanliness and comfort to that of the Varden. You will love it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank moremohonk
High Point NC 27265
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Like many of the previous reviews of this number 1 rated hotel , I have not experienced service like this in many, many years. We were attending a Wedding and picked the Hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews . They excelled in everything the did. From the continental breakfast in the morning to the wine tasting in the afternoon. They never missed an opportunity to make sure that our stay was going well . Every person affiliated with this Hotel was friendly and obviously happy to be there and to be of service to their patrons. While the rooms were small they contained a large flat screen TV, European fixtures and once again were decorated to make up for there small size and they did. Both my wife and I feel that we were fortunate to stay in such a great boutique hotel .The Varden will be our first choice when we return to Long Beach and it should be yours.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Pros: Perfect location, free and convenient parking, complimentary breakfast. Impressive modern design. Friendly staff.
Cons: Bed and bathroom were really tiny. I could hear the conversation from the next bedroom and hallway. Noise became really stressful.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank marjbq
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

The people at the Varden are simply tops when it comes to friendly customer service. Every single worker went out of his or her way to make sure I had everything I needed, whether it was information about how to get somewhere, suggestions for restaurants, an afternoon glass of wine, or a bottle of water as I headed out the door on a very hot day. I was traveling alone on the Long Beach leg of my trip, but when I stepped through the doors or came downstairs for the yummy morning breakfast, I felt like I was staying in a large family Villa.
The decor of the renovated building is absolutely perfect and the results reflect the amount of thought and care that went into every detail, from the paint jobs to the furnishings.
The size of my room was just perfect, although the bathroom might be uncomfortable for large-sized people. It had a small, euro-style bathroom with no bathtub or enclosed shower stall... just a shower curtain and a low rim around the shower area. As long as the shower curtain was positioned properly, the bathroom floor stayed dry. The only downside for me was the very small bathroom sink, with no vanity or splashguard. The sink was fine for washing hands or brushing teeth, but tasks like washing my face usually resulted in lots of water splashing onto the bathroom floor. I kept the shower mat under the sink to catch my drippings. It wasn't a problem for me, but there is no closet and no dresser. There is an open rack for hanging up a few items with a couple of shelves where you can put folded clothes. Since my stay was short, I kept most of my clothes in my large suitcase, which fit very nicely into a niche under the platform bed.
If you would like a good view, be sure to call and ask for a room recommendation before you book. I wasn't spending much time in the room while I was awake, so the view didn't matter ... but my window looked directly out onto the brick wall of the building next door.
The location is good. The hotel is just one block from Pine St., which houses all the restaurants and nightlife. If you need any basics, there is a Walmart within walking distance, as well as some other major retail stores in an urban shopping center nearby. There are bus stops nearby for the free "Passport" trolley buses that go to most of the tourist locations, including the Queen Mary, the Aquarium and Shoreline Village, as well as for other Passport buses that go to the ferry terminal, Museum of Art and Museum of Latin American Art. The beach is a pretty far walk, although I didn't mind it.
If you like boutique hotels with personality, the Varden is definitely the place for you in Long Beach.

Room Tip: Call and tell them what you'd prefer.