“quite disappointing”

The Queen Mary
Ranked #19 of 93 things to do in Long Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Old Hollywood glamour. A rich maritime history. Authentic 1930s Art Deco décor. The Queen Mary is a full-service Long Beach hotel, historical landmark, and entertainment venue featuring award-winning restaurants, historical attractions, numerous special event salons and 346 staterooms. The Queen Mary gives a unique glimpse into an era when steamships were the most regal way to travel.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

the best bit was the tea room with the best tea i have tasted in America! bridge level quite interesting - we paid for a Diana exhibition which being British was a bit random mish mash of royal family paper cuttings etc - whereas advertised as her dresses. you cannot get in any staterooms and there was very little to see which truely brought the old cruise ship alive. it cost about $40 too so not that cheap

Write a ReviewReviews (2,609)
All reviews
in 34 reviews
"piece of history"
in 49 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been to the Queen Mary several times. It's a nice way to spend a few hours, but I liked it better in the beginning when it had the "Living Sea exhibit. I do enjoy touring the ship and the exhibits are nice. The little reproduction English street dockside is quaint, but I wouldn't go for just that. I toured the Russian Sub once and that was interesting . I also enjoy just sitting on the deck watching the ships go by and the view of Long Beach across the harbor.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Paid the premium to get all the tours and what a waste of time and money. It was cool to be able to explore certain parts of the ship, however, a majority of the ship was blocked off for about 75 private functions apparently. Seemed that every corner we went around there was another sign blocking entrances because there was a "private function" happening. The self guided audio tour was a joke. Takes you all over the place, up stairs, down stairs from the rear of the ship to the front, u-turn here, climb more stairs there, look left, go there....we finally just started to explore ourselves. Started at the front and moved our way back, being careful not to interrupt the many private functions that were happening...even though we never did stumble upon any sort of function. Seemed to me that there were just your everyday average Joe Shmoe running around, u-turning and climbing stairs wandering aimlessly. So...just pay to get on the ship and explore it yourself. Don't bother to pay for any of the extra tours. One thing I was looking forward to was the Ghost tour but by the time it started we were so annoyed with the self guided audio thing and exhausted from the running from front to back, climbing this stairway and that stairway that we were ready to just leave.

1  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Despite the many poor reviews I was curious. Instead of paying for the Queen Mary tour ($25), we payed $15 each for a dining voucher. This enabled us access to roam the ship and $15 towards food or drink on the ship - a great value and an interesting venue for cocktails with a great pianist. Although the nostalgia of the visit was fun, I have absolutely no interest in staying here as a hotel guest. Enjoy a cocktail or two (premium was $9), stroll the decks and imagine how this ship changed the lives of so many.

3  Thank MySpecialPerspective
See more reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Took the grandkids to see the dear old Queen and was a little saddened by the state of her. The first thing that I noticed was that she needed a coat of paint. Granted I had not been for 40 years and I the last time I went it had not been open very long, but I remembered her to be so much more grand.
The Princess Diana Dress Exibit was a bit disappointing as a lot of the dresses were in minature on dolls.
There was not a tea towel to be had, only some left over from the 2012 Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Afternoon tea was $32 each, forget it!
The kids (14 and 16) enjoyed the haunted ship tour. I would like to have heard more about the stories of individuals who died shipboard...
The food was appallingly expensive...all in all a bit disappointing

3  Thank hikerache