“History and fun, wrapped up in one place”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #5 of 84 things to do in Long Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Old Hollywood glamour. A rich maritime history. Authentic 1930s Art Deco décor. The Queen Mary is a full-service Long Beach hotel, historical landmark, and entertainment venue featuring award-winning restaurants, historical attractions, numerous special event salons and 346 staterooms. The Queen Mary gives a unique glimpse into an era when steamships were the most regal way to travel.
Westminster, California, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“History and fun, wrapped up in one place”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Every time I visit the Queen Mary I find something new. I live local to the area and still find I'm visiting her 4 to 5 times a year. Every time there is something new, something interesting and always educational. When I leave I promise to get back soon and somehow never quite make it as often as I would like. I vow to be better in 2013!

2 Thank ChipMichael

66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Queen Mary Tour”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you do not have the time to spend the night on board, just take a tour and enjoy the history of the ship. They offer several types of tours, including a self-guided one. The Ghost Tours are meant to add some mystery to your visit. Our tour guide said that the day before someone who had been on her tour days earlier showed her a photo he took that caught an image of a face in the photo. We did not see anything but who knows. There is so much history to learn and enjoy on board.

1 Thank LovingRetirement67
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 414 helpful votes
“Old and Needs a Facelift”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Really, don't bother with the Queen Mary unless you've never been on a big ship and want to see what it's like--and can at least imagine what one might have been like in its heyday. The ship shows its age and wear. It doesn't seem cared for and needs attention (paint, varnish, carpets cleaned).

The self-guided tour wasn't bad, but it's easy to get lost and turned around. The narrative seemed to focus on the ship's mechanics which are of minimal interest to the average tourist, I'd think. Be prepared to walk a lot, especially up and down stairs. I'm a historian, so I found the historic exhibit and story of the Queen Mary interesting.

Because much of the ship is used as a hotel, we were unable to see staterooms, but the guided walking tour does allow visitors to peer into the captain's quarters and those of some of the crew. It would have been nice to see a stateroom. Because the ballrooms and lounges are used for events, whey weren't set up to demonstrate what the elegance of the bygone era was like. That was also disappointing.

The general admission ticket included the Ghosts and Legends tour, a corny attempt to tell somewhat interesting stories about the ship and its guests. The tour guides knew it was corny and laughed along with us. I appreciated the fact that they didn't take themselves too seriously. My 10-year-old son got scared and had to leave the tour. The guides had warned us in advance that this might be the case and we appreciated that. On the whole, though, we found the employees half-hearted. Better training in customer service would be beneficial.

The cost is about what you'd expect: $24.95 for adults and $14.95 for kids. Parking is extra, but you can take a shuttle to the Aquarium of the Pacific and leave your car parked in the Queen Mary lot. This helps avoid extra driving.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank jsctraveler
Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Thetour packages or options are overpriced for what you get to see. There is not enough of the sip open for you to see. We could not see any staterooms because they use part of the ship as a hotel. We also were blocked from seeing the large dining and ballrooms.mmThe price of our tour was $35 which included the Princess Di exhibit. We got a $5 discount with a AAA card. The onlt plus was that we got to eat lunch in the Tea Room and the meal price was reasonable.

2 Thank beachlover48
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The Prostitution of Our Queen”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a native of Long Beach, I have to say that I am less than thrilled at the "selling out" of our beautiful Queen Mary for a buck these days. The ship itself is a gorgeous and majestic as ever, but it's the way the current owners are cheapening her and the experience of her history for visitors in the name of a quick buck that is worrisome.

I hadn't seen the QM in several years, having moved out to AZ. I decided to bring my boyfriend with me this trip, visiting relatives and introducing Long Beach to him for the first time. The Aquarium was impressive (as always), the beach cities were stunning (as always), and the LBC was lovely, of course. But the QM was sad.

First, we were hit up for $20 bucks cash upfront for parking (Saturday). WOW. Robbery. This is their regular weekend rate.

We had purchased our Aquarium passport together with the basic QM ticket. This included the Ghost tour, and a self-guided tour, but not parking. We just shrugged this off. What could we do but pay it? That's what they figure everyone will do, of course.

We got to the ticket booth and the woman was abrupt and kind of rude when we asked simple questions about where the self-guided tour was. Whatever. We were determined to have a good time anyway!

We stopped at the Chelsey Chowder place first....yikes, what an unprofessional hostess! She was downright rude to everyone there, complaining loudly that "this isn't my normal restaurant. I'm not even supposed to be here." Wow. Sloppy dresser, too, for such a lovely ship. So, the owners don't care much about decorum, apparently. Oh, well. When we finally got seated, the food was good and the nice waitress made up for it.

Then, we went on the Ghost tour....LOUD is all I remember. It was very cool to get to go down to the boiler room, but they've made it into what many on our tour called "cheesy and annoying." Lots of special effects. The water pouring through the walls was good, but the cheesy jokes and the hideous volume of it all left many of us kind of deaf. So much for the Ghost tour...

On to the self-guided tour. Well, by the time we found anyone who knew where we could get a head set (we went back and forth the length of the ship twice on bad info), we were told by the woman there that "well, you might as well not listen to the audio because it doesn't give you any background info at all. It just tells you where you are, which you can see for yourself." Swell. It was just as well, though, because the headsets were filthy, having been worn on the ears of the general public over and over. Yuck.

So, we decided to just roam around on our own, which was much more fun than what we really paid for....hmmm.

All in all, the ship herself is as stunning as ever...it's the ownership that is sadly lacking in quality, professionalism, and respect for the great QM. She has been sold out at a great cost to any visitor.

Hopefully, new owners are on the horizon...?

Visited December 2012