“Nice aquarium in the greater LA Basin”

Aquarium of the Pacific
Book In Advance
More Info
$29.95*
and up
Aquarium of the Pacific General Admission
Ranked #1 of 84 things to do in Long Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a journey of discovery through the world’s largest ocean at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, California.
SoCal
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Nice aquarium in the greater LA Basin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

It was my first time at this aquarium. I've only been to the Monterey Bay aquarium so not really fair to compare any other to that great venue. I wasn't expecting much but friends had been multiple times and said it was a nice place. The aquarium isn't that big and you can probably see it all in four hours, including the mini 15-min shows they have scattered about. Outdoors has three small pools: seals, sharks and penguins. We liked the seal and sea lion show the best as it has the most action. There is much more inside on the two floors - very nice displays of sea creatures and fish. We did not go to the main movie, but they show a short one on the walls of the great hall every few minutes. The lorikeet bird pen is interesting, but you probably don't need to buy the nectar as most of the birds seemed full and children were abandoning their cups which sat neglected. Save your money instead for your own snacks or lunch. We ate at the Scuba buffet room. Some hot meals, but we had tuna sandwiches with salads which were fresh. A couple of juice and ice cream stands were outside. On the Saturday we were there, it was not that crowded, but most visitors were families. Parking was $8.00 in structure next door. We got our tickets at AAA so paid $19.75 per adult ticket.

• Arabic first
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Truely amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you have at least 3+ hours of nothing to do, then go to this place.If you have extra time, then for a few dollars more get the harbor tour as well. I arrived at about 11:30 am and thought it would only take about an hour to go through. Boy, was I wrong. It takes about 3 to 4 hours to go through it all and there is so much to see and do. I really kick myself for not including the harbor tour, but by the time I had seen everything in the aquarium, I was really tired and headed over to supper and then back to my motel. There was live shows, videos, inactive displays, sea creatures of all types. Did you know they have two types of live Sea Dragons? There are several petting pools, where you can touch the different sea creatures. You can feed some real live birds that will land on your hand to eat. This was the best fun I have had in a long time. They are expanding and adding new exhibits and I hope to go again the next time that I am in town, just to see what they have added.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Gerald W
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Has improved greatly with time- if you visited years ago, plan to visit again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

When the Aquarium of the Pacific opened over a decade ago, we were excited to have an aquarium in So Cal. To be honest, I was disappointed in the aquarium back then

But I'm happy to say that things in the aquarium have improved greatly. Many new exhibits were added, a huge variety of fish beautifully displayed.

The Reef exhibit alone is worth a visit.

Still much of the aquarium is devoted to local fish and the kelp forests.

For anyone who loves to learn about and view sea life, this is a worthwhile attraction.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Ronald K
Camp Nelson, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were disappointed with the Aquarium of the Pacific. We thought we would have to hurry to see everything in 4 hours, but 2 1/2 hours later we were ready to leave. The whole place seemed shabby to us. Lots of peeling paint and dirty aquarium glass. We realized the it's not easy to keep glass clean with little hands around, but some of the displays looked like the glass had never been cleaned. Come on, Management! It is a great building. Take care of it!

2 Thank Watermaster
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Great information and displays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The aquarium is not huge but the displays and tanks are very informative and enjoyable and you can easily spend 3 hours there reading and learning about the waters and life in the pacific. Kids loved it with the touchable fish. Great to see penguins, otters, sharks and rays. Also a wonderful Lorikeet parrots display. You walk right with the birds and can feed them nectar. Staff and volunteers are at the ready to talk and explain things or answer questions. Nice cafe for sandwiches and soups.

1 Thank dolls111