“a good clean motel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
united kingdom
“a good clean motel”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

booked this motel as a 1 night stop gap on our road trip from death valley to Yosemite. wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. reception staff aren't the friendliest but it was about 7pm at night and she might have had a bad day but it wouldn't put me off. rooms were a good size clean and comfortable and that's what I had come for. used the washing machine and dryer as we had lived out of our suitcase all week. $1.50 for the wash which takes about 30 mins IRCC and the dryer was $.50 for an hour. both excellent value and was pleased about that. didn't use the pool as we wasn't there long enough. breakfast in the morning was good, lots of hot and cold drinks. toast, cereals, pancakes, scrambled eggs I think and potatoes oh and sausage patties again IRCC. would stay again if passing. went and ate in the town which is a couple minutes down the road in a car.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
TN
Reviewed October 1, 2013

As long as you realize this motel is a througback. It's really a "motor hotel" from the 50's. The room was small. The bathroom was small. The view was of the parking lot. You park your car in front of your room.

Now across the road is Mt Whitney. Can't beat that. The room was clean. The shower worked well. The little refridgerator worked well. The breakfast buffet was very similar to a Hampton's. The staff was friendly enough.

I didn't think the room price was cheap but with gas at $4+ a gallon, I think the days of "cheap" are fading quickly in the American motorist's rear-view mirror. .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was summiting Whitney on a day permit and needed a place to stay for the night before and after. I wasn't expecting much, the usual roadside motel... and since this wasn't Vegas, I really didn't care. Just wanted something clean.

But I was surprised to find that while, yes, this is appointed much like any roadside motel, they had a number of small touches that made me - more than once - go 'wow!'. Touches that make a motel experience stand out because they are things you always look for in a temporary home, but never find.

1) Firstly, free wifi! Seriously! No passwords, no nonsense, no charging to your room or calling the front desk because you can't connect. Join the network, and voila!
2) There's a multi-outlet adaptor on the outlet. How many times, in even "fancy" hotels, have you had to unplug a lamp or clock for your phone charger and computer plug and your spouses phone charger, etc? I was able to plug every one of my electronics in. Sounds small, but seriously, it was enough to make me realize how FEW places do such simple things.
3) There was a lap desk provided in the room! So I could work on my laptop while sitting in bed!
4) The coffee machine has more than two packs of coffee! It has, like 7! I didn't have to ration my coffee out.
5) HBO
6) A goddamned jacuzzi tub. Because if you have ever climbed Whitney, seriously, that's the first thing you need. And I didn't even know I needed it until I saw it there!
7) Great little free breakfast.
8) Really nice staff.
9) Lots and lots of pillows
10) Quiet AC

My only complaint, and it was barely an issue, is that the walls were a bit thin. I could hear the people in the room next to me, but since they were quiet, I didn't care. It might have been different had they been loud.

I totally recommend this place. Oh, they even have a little pool. I didn't use it, but ...pool!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Diego
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I rate on 4 primary things: Clean, Quiet, Comfortable, Quality. Extras would be staff friendliness, upgraded amenities, location and so forth. This place was fine on the "clean" count only.

This looks like an decades-old motel where you park right outside the door to your room. It has been renovated, mostly on the cheap, but is now closer in appearance to today's motel standards. In some ways they did a very nice job with the decor and the room looked nice, although the door was obviously old, probably original and didn't fit ascetically with the newer upgrades. The worst thing about this room, and quite significant, was that the air conditioner was the LOUDEST we have ever heard! Very disruptive to just being in the room talking or watching TV, let alone trying to wind down and fall asleep. It sounded like it was on its last leg, although it did put out cold air just fine. We even called the front desk to ask about it and she said they are all that way! It would have taken the sting out a little if the girl on the phone would have sounded the least bit sympathetic or kind, but she seemed more like I was bothering her. The bathroom was so small that if you were already sitting, you could not close the door as your legs would block it. The shower stall was just that, a small, possibly 3x3 stall (think "trucker-stop" from the 1960s standards and you might conger up a picture of what I mean) It all made for some clever maneuvering between my husband and I as we both got ready in the morning at the small single sink in that tiny bathroom.

They are "pet friendly" but asked that you walk your pet off property. We were located in the middle of the property, and to go "off" meant a bit of a walk, which was not something I (the wife) would do alone at night or in the wee hours of morning. Come on, I just want to let my dog out for a quick piddle! The property is just a car length off of Hwy 395 and located in what looks like a transient area with lots of young folks for hiking Mt Whitney, going to Mammoth, Bishop and such. Behind the motel are some older and not-so-kept-up residences. Back to the dog issue ... you walk right by their grassy area which surrounds the gated pool (try explaining THAT to your dog who has to "go"!) "Hold it Fido! No ... don't even look over there at that grass. It's off limits! We have to go another 100' or so to get you to where it's okay to pee!" Oh come on. Designate an area like other places do.

The breakfast offered had a wide variety of typical, inexpensive items. It put food in your stomach to get you on your way, but if you are looking for a meal, or a meal to enjoy, this won't fit the bill. The OJ tasted like Tang, and I opted to go without than to have that. My husband however, thought it was okay and had a glass.

Although $128 isn't a lot by California prices today, this place just isn't worth that. This should be more like a $75 room - even in California. On a Thursday night in September (non-holiday weekend) you should have gotten better quality all the way around. We won't be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mtn2Lake
FTP93545, General Manager at Best Western Plus Frontier Motel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I apologize for the walk to the dog pit stop area, but what allows us to have nice green grass for the guests to enjoy at the pool area is not letting dogs do their business there. We feel this is a good compromise for allowing pets and also not imposing a pet charge. Safe travels.
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have stayed at this Motel numerous times on way to and from S. California, it is a nice half-way stop for us. The check-in staff are always friendly and very helpful. Rooms are very clean and well appointed, although some are quite small. The free breakfast is always good and there are several choices. Our last stay, we were upgraded to a suite, it was quite large and very comfortable.. The air conditioning unit was very quiet and kept the room very cool, The outside temperature was in the high 90's!

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear of the property, much quieter.
Green Features: This facility practices eco friendly policies, allowing you chose not to have your bedding changed daily, as well as your towels and wash clothes.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank billnevada
nottingham
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights using the motel as a starting point for visits to Death Valley and a starting point for Yosemite. Room was clean and functional but a little bit smaller than we were used to - could possibly have done with the bathroom being a bit smaller and utilising some of the space for the bedroom area - but that's a minor quibble. Breakfast was a nice touch and it was pleasant to sit outside and enjoy the early morning sunshine and stunning views, particularly Mount Whitney. Poll was a godsend given the hot weather. The motel was full for our stay and it's understandable as it provides decent facilities for reasonable prices.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, we're glad you enjoyed it. Please have a safe trip and we hope to see you again soon.
Geel
Reviewed September 21, 2013

A pleasant stay despite the business like welcome and a little unfriendly staffmember. But according to the other reviews she probably had a bad day. Parked the car in front of the room. Practical when you have a lot of bags with you. All parking lots were marked with a room number Spacious room with a lovely, clean and fresh smell. Silent and good working airco. Wide and comfortable bed. Prominent was the practical setting of the lightning. Where you needed some light you had one. Very thoughtful. Breakfast with yoghurt, cereals, and a fantastic pancake machine that every minute delivers a little and delicious pancake. Never seen before. If you get up early you can watch the beautiful scenery in front of the hotel. Sunlight playing on top of Mt. Whitney.

1 Thank DanGeel
#7 of 8 in Lone Pine
Winnedumah Hotel
Winnedumah Hotel
#2 of 3 in Independence

Been to Best Western Plus Frontier Motel? Share your experiences!