WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Mt. Whitney Motel

Mt. Whitney Motel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lone Pine
Carlsbad, CA
“A good inexpensive motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed just one night and had no complaints about anything. We had a room in the rear annex; it was large, with a large flat screen TV that was hung on the wall (Which I like), and well-placed relative to the bed. There was also in room coffee and an icy cold refrigerator, as well as a small microwave, good for reheating leftover pizza. The bed was comfortable and I didn't have to ask for extra pillows-there were four on the bed already. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The rear annex is newer I think and further from the main road.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have been coming to Lone Pine for the past 40 years. never in all that time have I ever stayed in such a disgusting place. if it hadn't been prepaid I would have slept in the street or in my car at PortugueJoe campground. hair left on the sheets by the previous tenants. Smelly mold in bath. if the Chamber of Commerce or the health department saw the inside of this room they would shut this place down. I could go on . horrific!!!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank susiehayes
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Mt. Whitney is a small, old-fashioned mom & pop place near the north end of Main Street (Hwy 395) with a classic neon sign. This stretch of street and the neon sign make a quick appearance near the beginning of the recent movie “Desert Son,” if you don’t blink (you may need to pause and back up to see it clearly). The motel has an older U-shaped single-story main building around a pool and parking spaces, and a two-story annex set back farther from the street with separate parking.

Last summer I stayed in the main building. I should have written a review when it was fresh in my mind but didn’t get around to it. I recall that the room was not huge, but it was comfortable and quiet even though it was close to 395. However, I have never found Lone Pine street sounds annoying, maybe because I like the town; in certain other places, I’d resent the smallest noise.

This time I was in the annex, where the windows are bigger to take advantage of an oblique view of the Sierra Nevada. I had a large room that would have been comfortable for a multi-day stay. The wi-fi worked well. The bathroom even had a whirlpool tub, which I didn’t use, but it would be a nice amenity for someone coming off Mt. Whitney or the Badwater Ultramarathon! The one minus, which I had also noticed last year, is the narrow parking spaces. They are the perfect size for compact cars to park and easily open doors. At motels, where vehicles of all sizes come and go often, loading and unloading occupants and luggage of all ages and sizes, these spaces were not at all adequate. I parked on a small off-street strip by the side of the motel instead, to avoid damage to my doors or someone else’s. (In the morning, I saw that someone else had followed suit).

Lone Pine is a great strolling town, and the Mt. Whitney Motel makes a good base. You could walk to many of the local businesses, the museum, public library, hospital, or most of the town’s churches. A few steps away is a nice park with tables, grills, a playground, and scads of shade trees. Nearby are restaurants, the main grocery store (Joseph’s Bi-Rite, an Eastern Sierra institution); and shops selling outdoor goods and equipment, craft items and curios, and general merchandise. Most businesses are local—part of Lone Pine’s charm. In the afternoon I walked to the Totem Café hoping for dinner, but it was too early so I had a fine rib-eye steak sandwich on sourdough and a salad, which was as good as dinner. I saw at least two taco trucks on Main Street! So big cities needn’t think they “own” street food. At least one was open until well after dark. Lone Pine is where visitors converge for Death Valley, Mt. Whitney, and the Eastern Sierra itself, and there is plenty of foot traffic on warm summer nights.

I still suggest the restored hotel section of the Dow Villa for folks wanting a more upper-crust experience or a historic lodging in this small town, but for visitors looking for local atmosphere and friendly people, I can also recommend the Mt. Whitney Motel. And I recommend Lone Pine!

Room Tip: Annex bldg is set back more from the street. Windows face south, but have a view of the Sierra Nevad...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

A relatively clean room with enough bed space. Nothing more, nothing less. The smallest pool ever, with lots of dead insects in it. Our travel companions payed slightly more to stay at the Comfort Inn, and it seemed like they got more value for money.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo B
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

we stopped here as a detour to death valley (heard about Lone Pine and like to see 'real cowboy' towns

room ws clean and comfortable. we asked for more coffee and were promised some but it didn't arrive, however as we only stayed the night it didn't cause too much of a problem. the motel is just outside the town so only a few minutes and you're there. the motel owner/manager was helpful in giving hints of where we might want to visit in a short space of time available.

id recommend the hotel. nothing fancy but everything you need is provided.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent a night at the Mt. Whitney Motel after a day at Death Valley. It seems to be a family owned place, and while the room we had was small, it had all the amenities that a chain has. Our room had a TV, fridge, coffee maker and microwave.

The woman who checked us in asked if we wanted a room on the road side or the west side. We said it didn't matter and we were assigned a room on the road side. But if I would go back, I would now choose the west side. Then you have the possibility of waking up and seeing Mt. Whitney framed in your window.

The largest complaint was our bed was very hard and I didn't get a good night's rest. Everything else was satisfactory. It's a decent place for Mt Whitney hikers or people passing through.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NPS_Tumbleweeds
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Good for a one-night stay. Non-smoking motel. Big enough for two. Clean. They provided more soaps, lotions than any other motels we stayed the past two weeks of travel. Friendly staff. Convenient drop-off key box. Parking for Room 4 and 5 kind of tight. More room more south. Wifi connection. Wall mounted television set.

Room Tip: Rooms are geared for more than a couple of night stay. A family motel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
#6 of 8 in Lone Pine
Whitney Portal Hostel
Whitney Portal Hostel
#2 of 6 in Lone Pine

Been to Mt. Whitney Motel? Share your experiences!