“Traveler beware, enter at your own risk!”
Review of White Oaks Hotel

White Oaks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Lompoc
“Traveler beware, enter at your own risk!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place was a nightmare & a hot mess! Facility very sketching. The only staff seen was the woman behind the check in counter in the lobby who didn't know what she was doing. In fact, the lobby counter was not manned for most of the time. We didn't make reservations ahead of time to stay in this town and only decided to get a room because we had been driving all
day & were exhausted. This was the only hotel within 40 miles that had any vacancies...we should have taken note of this warning! Bottom line--"keep driving, do not pass go & do not collect $200!"

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Leilani E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Cheap rates, Clean room, right off HWY1S, nice patios/balcony with chairs. The bed comfy, however, the shower head did not work and the sink in our room clogged easily. We did not want to fuss with moving rooms so we dealt with it-but it wasn't too bad. The breakfast is a choice of 3 cereals, small apples, bread, and OJ -- coffee of course. Travel with cats, only $10/pet!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Traveling south along Hwy 1, my wife and I saw this hotel and decided to check in for the night. The staff were helpful and very friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. I have read the other reviews and I`m wondering why most are negative. We had a great night sleep, hot shower and a free breakfast. I guess not everyone can be pleased, and those should have just keep driving until they found a Hilton.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rod W
Escondido, CA
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Arrival:
I had planned a last minute motorcycle trip and due to every other place I could find being totally booked up, I chose White Oaks. I arrived at noon to hopefully check in, drop off my stuff, and do some riding around the local area. Unfortunately you can forget about any sort of early check-in the sign on the door says: "Office hours: 2pm to 11pm." To be fair they clearly state that check in time isn't until 3pm…

Check-In:
So I came back at 2pm to check in, while friendly and pleasant neither of the women at the desk knew how to operate the reservation computer. "Did you make your reservation with Expedia or Hotline?" Neither, I used your website. More confusion ensued so they called the manager. He couldn't find my reservation either, but that really didn't matter. Because from what I could tell, the ladies checking in ahead of me and I were the only guests. Looking back that should've been a clue, in an area littered with full hotels and motels.

After getting settled in I noticed that there were no towels or washcloths in the bathroom, so I hike over to the office to get some. The manager was now running the desk and joked with me when I told him I didn't have towels. He did eventually return with some but never apologized for the inconvenience.

The Room:
The room was big and roomy more like a one bedroom apartment than a motel, it had two TV's that worked great and even had HBO. I don't mean to make having HBO seem like a big deal, but I suspect for this place it is. There was a small microwave and a mini fridge next to a sink in the living room area. In the closet was a hot place, so I suppose I could've cooked if I had any pans. Heh.

The bathroom was OK, clean but worn. Actually "clean but worn" was the description for every inside area of this place. The claimed that they were starting to remodel but those rooms weren't ready for use yet.

The Grounds:
* Entry and Check-In: The place looks abandoned, I suspect many people drive away thinking they are closed.
* Pool - Closed
* Restaurant - Closed
* Fitness Center - Never saw it, and didn't want to explore
* Ice Machine - Never found one, and didn't want to explore

Parking lot:
* Dark at night and not well kept up.

Summary: If you need a place to stay and absolutely nothing else is available, you will probably survive this place just fine. But within the week you will be compelled to come to TripAdvisor and do just what I did, write a review warning others. I'd like to be optomistic and say they are in the midst of a rennovation as the desk folks alluded to, but after reading the older reviews - I doubt it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank SnowAviation

Travelers are raving about these Lompoc hotels

Whittier, California
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I were driving late through Lompoc because we had decided to take the Hwy 1 on our way down to L.A. We stopped at this Hotel and the "owner" was working the desk. He had no idea how to work the computer system. He "lost" our reservation and had to poke around again, kept answering the phones and made us wait over an hour. People were walking in and waiting and he still kept answering the phones! His bookkeeper (a slovenly woman with a foul mouth) was there and they got into an argument right in front of us! He needed help with the desk, did not have a clue how to run his own Hotel! He said he owned a Hotel in Cambria (where we had come from) too-- I know the place and it's expensive. So, the guy is obviously putting all of his energy into his new hotel. What really baffles me is how a man can own Hotels and not know the first thing about how to run them. How is this possible? A complete abomination.

Room Tip: Absolutely abyssmal. Customer torture, couldn't even use the word
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kvilleneuve
Palmdale, California
Reviewed July 6, 2010

The Lawn of the hotel could definetly be kept up better. When i first walked in, the receptionist was very polite and helped me right away. The room we had was pretty spacious and clean for the most part, and also included a microwave and a mini refrigerator. The bathroom was average, there was however, a drainage problem in both the bathtub (from taking a shower) and in the sink. Also in the shower, for about the first 10 minutes, the water in the shower was fine but it started getting colder and colder and if you turn it a bit to the hot side, it gets scalding hot again, so that wasn't very fun. The pool is still closed, i dont know how long it's been closed but it still is, so that was disappointing, but to be fair it is posted on their website and at the front desk. The contindental breakfast was really good, there was coffee, juice, milk, cereal, pastries, bagels, and fruit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 32848Brittany
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 24, 2010

To be as fair as possible, the actual physical accomodation(s) were acceptable. The room was large, the bed fair, and the overall environment not bad for the price. But if asked if it is a good place to stay...in a word...DON'T! The forced-air heater was replaced with an ancient, decrepit floor heater that barely worked for 15 minutes before its internal safety breaker buzzed angrily and shut it down. The smoking room we requested was not available (thought we were assured it would be ok for us to step outside in the near-freezing night air and smoke if we wanted). The traffic on the highway outside roared loudly all night long and, the worst of all, a noisy drunken tryst in a nearby room turned into what sounded like a full-blown domestic violence incident that raged from two in the morning to after sunrise. When I complained to the day clerk, I was informed that no such incident took place and that we were the only guests in that entire wing. Admittedly, we never saw another guest the whole time were were there, though we sure heard them. We went out for the day and, upon returning, found the scene from the previous night was startiing all over. Again, the clerk assured me there was no one in wing. Another hour or so of the disturbance was enough to prompt my wife and me to pack the car and take off to find other accomadations. We left without even demanding a refund (not much hope of that seeing as their attitude about not supplying a smoking room as promised, suppling a faulty room heater to replace the failed heating system, and complete denial of the noisy incident that played for hours and hours). Though a long way from home, we both decided that paying for another room or sleeping in the car was far more attractive that spending another minute at this place! This is a place that Hitchcock, Zombie, or Serling would have loved to make a movie about. My wife and I are experienced travelers...we are bikers and used to all types of places in all types of conditions. Personally, I am 6-1 and almost three hundred pounds so there is not much that scares me...but there is no way I'd ever set foot in this place again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_n_Ms_Saddlebags
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
Lompoc Valley Inn & Suites
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc
Hotel Corque
Hotel Corque
#1 of 10 in Solvang
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley

Been to White Oaks Hotel? Share your experiences!