“Filthy, stinky, noisy, smoke alarm missing”

Red Roof Inn Lompoc
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Lompoc
Yountville, California
“Filthy, stinky, noisy, smoke alarm missing”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is the worst hotel we have ever experienced. Some things were not evident immediately during our check-in on December 2, 2012, and when we returned to the room after dinner it was too late to make changes. We stayed in Room 121, a non-smoking room, that had an odd smell. The entrance is from the street, so the carpet is filthy. We noticed abandoned junk outside in the walkways such as a broken pet carrier and several empty beer containers. The shower did not drain properly, and there was 4-5 inches of water in the tub during the shower. We later noticed the smoke detector was pulled from the ceiling and was missing, and there were burn marks on the furniture. We pulled down the bedspread as it did not appear clean. The worst of all was what appeared to be a smear of feces on the yellow blanket. The alarm went off at 5 a.m., and the only way to turn it off was to pull the plug from the wall. The noise beginning at 6a.m. was incredible with people talking loudly and slamming doors. The hotel refunded half of the cost, but nothing could make up for such a dirty, poorly maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the Red Roof Inn. There is not much in Lompoc for dinner either. It would be better...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori M, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Lompoc, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the condition that you found your room in. Please know that it was not up to our standards and is not an experience that you should have had to go through. I would like you to know that measures are being taken to improve the quality of your stay. On behalf of the whole hotel, I apologize.

Jennifer
Admin Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Whittier, California
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Well first of all for the price really can't complain plus they offered complimentary breakfast which was a plus, however I didn't get to enjoy it. When I arrived they gave me my room key as I opened the door the room was either still occupied or it hadn't been cleaned up yet. So I went back to the front desk and I don't know if she didn't believe me or what. So she said I will be back & after a few minutes she gave me a new room. I was really surprised at the spacious room along with a fridge and coffee maker and a small table with two chairs. The hotel decor is a lil old. But overall good.

Room Tip: If you are not a picky person and you are willing to stay at a descent location it is worth what you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your response. I am sorry your first room was not what it should have been, but I am glad to know the second room was better. I assure you we are taking measures to make sure this doesn't happen again. We look forward to seeing you again!

Jennifer
Admin Assistant
Tularosa
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We booked at Red Roof Inn because we'd always found them to be high quality. Not this one! We arrived late at night and exhausted. When we opened the door to our room, we were assailed by the odor of perfumed spray trying and failing to mask the underlying pungent stench of God-only-knows-what. The threads that remained in the ancient, turquoise carpet were covered in uncountable spots of some oily-looking black substance. My husband insists that someone rebuilt a transmission in the room. There was a tiny table with one filthy little chair. The bathroom door was sticky to the touch. The bed was three mattresses high. The street noise was horrible. But the worst was the horrendous stench of urine mixed with some undefinable chemical smell. It literally- yes I mean literally in the correct sense - burnt my nostrils. I could not sleep. At 4 in the morning, I hunted for another motel, found a beautiful Days Inn on H street, booked it and checked out of the Red Roof. The fight for my money back was three days long, but I got it after calling the corporate office and filing a complaint.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharon B
Buena Park, California
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I found that the beds were wonderfully comfortable. Unfortunately, the room that I was in (Nov. 23rd), the carpeting was filthy. It has a stain in the carpeting and was just filthy.
And trying to breakfast was disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David A
Hollister, California
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The room at the Red Roof Room was phenominal for the price. Spacious, clean, and included everything you would need for a great stay. Comfy bed, couch, coffee table, refridgerator/freezer, blow dryer, in room coffee, and a flat screen TV. Don't plan on eating breakfast there if you want to fill your stomach. Perhaps we got there too late (8:30) and there would have been a better selection if we got there earlier. Front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. You may want to ask if the door to door magazine sales people are staying there and if so expect noise and language you would not want your children to hear.

Room Tip: Away from the magazine sales people
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Free Fast Internet! One receptionist was very good and one poor. Only 2 minus was we booked a non-smoking room and the bathroom smelled very bad of smoke, they told us it was from the room above.. And then we could hear everything from the room next to us, so just check you get a room without connecting room and it should be okay.

• Stayed September 2012
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in July 2012, and both mornings there was practically nothing left for breakfast. The room however was fairly decent with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The room even came with an iron and ironing board. The carpet had stains. The wi fi was easy to connect to and was fast. The location in Lompoc is very close to the edge of town making it quick and easy to get to from the wineries.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lompoc, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I appologize that the days that you stayed with us the breakfast was not replenished as it should have been. I have talked with the front desk staff and it will start getting replenished more regularly. We have also started scheduling an extra member of staff just to handle the breakfast on busy weekend mornings.

Thank you for mentioning, and hopefully enjoying, our other amenities. We try to give our guests the best value at our price point.

Our location is great as well because we are also walking distance to the Lompoc Wine Ghetto, close to the Highway 1 entrance, and in a less industrial part of town.

I want to thank you for choosig our location, and thank you for your comments. It is reviews like yours that help us become better!

Lori Mann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
Lompoc Valley Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
#2 of 8 in Buellton
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley

Been to Red Roof Inn Lompoc? Share your experiences!