“Still very good, but worrisome signs” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of O'Cairns Inn & Suites

O'Cairns Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Lompoc
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Still very good, but worrisome signs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

This hotel recently disassociated from the Best Western chain and so far isn't doing a great job marketing itself. We couldn't find it on the internet and finally called to find out if they were still in business. Thankfully, they are, but there are some concerning signs that their successful business model may be changing. Overall, we still had the same decent room and mostly the same amenities: cooked to order breakfast, laundry facilities (now with detergent and dryer sheets provided), current release DVDs, full size refrigerator, microwave and DVD player in the room, ice cream and happy hour with high quality drinks - all gratis. However, the place was deserted when we last stayed, and the free happy hour was non-existent for 2 of the 3 days we were there. We were told that it now doesn't operate on weekends (!), with no explanation as to why. Probably there wasn't enough business the weekend we were there to justify staffing it. We hope the hotel is simply experiencing some transitional hiccups and will right itself. Yes, this is a 3 star hotel and nothing fancy, but it is a hugely better value than most hotels in the area, which charge twice as much for rooms that don't have the extras provided here. Lompoc is not a "chi-chi" destination but we appreciate the very good if not upscale restaurants, cool Wine Ghetto and un-touristy feel. The whole town shuts down by around 9PM and that's just fine by us. We'll watch a complimentary new release DVD with our free Ben and Jerry's and then sleep well in our quiet, comfortable room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank MoreTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
San Fernando, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

When we travel to our home away from home we stop by the O'Cairns Inn Best Western in Lompoc. Well if you want to watch a first run movie, enjoy a nice cocktail (full bar) and enjoy a full sit down breakfast in the morning well this is the place you should come to. We stop by here all the time the people that work there like their job because you can tell by the way that they treat you so check it out and see for yourself. Enjoy

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Travelershep
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

We enjoyed a clean room, clean comfortable queen-sized beds, courteous, friendly service and an excellent breakfast. As with many hotels, limited sound insulation between units can be an issue, but, thankfully, on this trip, our neighbors were not members of an itinerant rock band.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

You would have thought from the raves that this is a Five Diamond Property or something. It was very very nice for a Best Western, but that's it.The beds were comfortable, and the room was clean, but you can't get away from the fact that the structure of the place is just like any other motel. So all the nice amenities are kind of like a lipstick on a pig.

I think people really appreciate the free drinks and the free breakfast. But when you factor in the price (which is pricey considering Lompoc isn't very central to any touristy areas), it's not that great of a deal.

We stayed for one night, as the hotels near Santa Barbara/Buellton/Solvang were all booked and/or pricer. We visited the Mission Purisima which was very interesting.

In sum, if it's on your way, it's probably one of the better places in that area, but it's not worth any kind of detour.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The service here is alway exceptional, from check in through check out, with very friendly, knowledgeable staff. They have great, clean rooms with flat screen televisions, full size refrigerators and very comfy beds. Snacks & bottled water are always available in the lobby. They provide a breakfast that you won't believe..........there are many items to choose from, ready when you arrive in the breakfast room or you can pick a "made to order" breakfast from a menu! If you need to do laundry, fear not, there is a complimentary laundry room. The pool & jaccuzzi area is great and has a BBQ available to use that includes a kitchen area with refrigerator. If you are in the area Monday through Friday, they also have a complimentary happy hour if you are interested, or you can just play a game of pool or wii games. Oh, and let's not forget the free DVD rentals...........hundreds to choose from and always at least one or two new releases. This is our go to hotel whenever we are in the area! Their welcome mat is always out............

Room Tip: Every room we have had here is great..........
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

I reviewed this same hotel about this time last year, "A SHAME IT'S IN LOMPOC."

I have to repeat the opening of that review, as the cost remains a concern:

"[T]he room rates are more like those of a suites hotel in Los Angeles, or some other sought-after, tourist or business-center metropolis. Perhaps in Santa Barbara. I tend to blame the excessive rate on Best Western, as I KEEP FINDING BW RATES usually reflect neither the hotel, nor the community or locale to which the hotel is attached - but apparently indicate some policy or expense BW imposes on hoteliers. They're routinely the more expensive of nearby comparable properties - for no discernible reason, and BW rates are downright mercenary if there are no immediate competitors. ..."

The good news is that O'Cairns remains the first BW I've found that exerts an effort to eliminate the sting of that reality. If you MUST be in Lompoc, and if you're not having to be extremely careful with the budget, O'Cairn's is where you want to be.

The rooms have been updated since my last stay, and while the colors might not have been my choice, the quality of all the furnishings and work done was top notch. The beds and linens were EXCELLENT and luxurious. The staff remains so helpful I can't help being suspicious... They MUST be burgling my room or scamming my credit card if they're being THAT helpful and cheerful, right? (NEITHER was the case.)

Alas, the fantastic Mexican restaurant that had delivered to our room last year is no more. But there were some excellent alternatives available nearby.

Also, this year I was in a ground level room, and the folks upstairs were dancing, or wrestling, or running foot races in their room. But other than that, we didn't hear a sound from outside or other rooms. Indeed, the seal on the door was so tight, opening it was like the breaking the seal when opening a refrigerator.

Oh, and yes, this was yet another O'Cairn's room with a full size, spotless and contemporary refrigerator in the room. Each time I've laughed at it. But each time I've also had to admit the rooms are more than large enough to handle them, and before I know it I have them filled with more than would ever fit in a mini-fridge. I guess my needs expand to the size of the fridge available.

I do have to second the note from another reviewer about the internet access being via ethernet. It's fast, it's easy and reliable - but it's NOT wi-fi. So, if there are two or more computers in your party, you'll be dickering for access. This is a trip I don't make with my kids and their laptops, so that potential inconvenience hadn't occurred to me.

As I need to keep my room EXTREMELY cool at night in order to get to sleep, I must add a positive word for the cooling system. It's one of those in-wall units beneath a window - the sort that usually mean I won't be able to hear anything in the room when the AC is running, and that setting it for a certain temperature guarantees only that the room will be within 10 degrees, plus or minus, of the hoped-for setting. But the unit here was absolutely perfect, and the thermostat actually worked properly and maintained the temp. exactly where I wanted it.

The many amenities described by myself and others remain, from free dog treats (and even generous daily supplies of organic dog food) to ice cream, fruit, granola bars and good coffee, free DVD use - and all that's without leaving the lobby, or heading off to the complimentary happy hours, or O'Cairn's much-touted cooked-to-order breakfasts. (No clumsy, serve-yourself waffle irons and plastic bins of cereal passing as "free breakfast" at O'Cairn's.)

I wish I could claim to have a found a hotel this refreshing and reliable in EVERY city I visit routinely. I can't find one in Portland, Or, or Las Vegas, or Denver, Co, or Minneapolis... but when I'm forced to visit Lompoc, CA, at least I know where I'm staying, and that I'll enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2008travellover
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is our first time staying at a Best Western Plus property. If this is any indication of the standard PLUS facility - What a great surprise!

The rooms are nothing special but comfortable. Ours had a microwave and full refrigerator which came in handy.

The happy hour is a wonderful addition to a long day and Courtney (the bartender) was a real pleasure - very friendly.

Breakfast - OUTSTANDING!! Full cooked to order from menu - FREE! That's a savings of at least $25/day for two people; and the young ladies there every morning were very friendly and the food was delicious!

Nice surprise was the DVD collection for your use in the in-room DVD player and the free ice cream at the front desk.

Pool was cold for being heated & in July and while there were BBQ pits and a large cooking area with refrigerator it appeared that it had not been cleaned for quite a few days with food in the refrigerator going to waste.

Even with that - Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
The Landsby
The Landsby
#2 of 10 in Solvang

Been to O'Cairns Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!