“2nd Time As Good as the First! Better, Even!”

O'Cairns Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lompoc
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I reviewed this same hotel about this time last year, "A SHAME IT'S IN LOMPOC."

I have to repeat the opening of that review, as the cost remains a concern:

"[T]he room rates are more like those of a suites hotel in Los Angeles, or some other sought-after, tourist or business-center metropolis. Perhaps in Santa Barbara. I tend to blame the excessive rate on Best Western, as I KEEP FINDING BW RATES usually reflect neither the hotel, nor the community or locale to which the hotel is attached - but apparently indicate some policy or expense BW imposes on hoteliers. They're routinely the more expensive of nearby comparable properties - for no discernible reason, and BW rates are downright mercenary if there are no immediate competitors. ..."

The good news is that O'Cairns remains the first BW I've found that exerts an effort to eliminate the sting of that reality. If you MUST be in Lompoc, and if you're not having to be extremely careful with the budget, O'Cairn's is where you want to be.

The rooms have been updated since my last stay, and while the colors might not have been my choice, the quality of all the furnishings and work done was top notch. The beds and linens were EXCELLENT and luxurious. The staff remains so helpful I can't help being suspicious... They MUST be burgling my room or scamming my credit card if they're being THAT helpful and cheerful, right? (NEITHER was the case.)

Alas, the fantastic Mexican restaurant that had delivered to our room last year is no more. But there were some excellent alternatives available nearby.

Also, this year I was in a ground level room, and the folks upstairs were dancing, or wrestling, or running foot races in their room. But other than that, we didn't hear a sound from outside or other rooms. Indeed, the seal on the door was so tight, opening it was like the breaking the seal when opening a refrigerator.

Oh, and yes, this was yet another O'Cairn's room with a full size, spotless and contemporary refrigerator in the room. Each time I've laughed at it. But each time I've also had to admit the rooms are more than large enough to handle them, and before I know it I have them filled with more than would ever fit in a mini-fridge. I guess my needs expand to the size of the fridge available.

I do have to second the note from another reviewer about the internet access being via ethernet. It's fast, it's easy and reliable - but it's NOT wi-fi. So, if there are two or more computers in your party, you'll be dickering for access. This is a trip I don't make with my kids and their laptops, so that potential inconvenience hadn't occurred to me.

As I need to keep my room EXTREMELY cool at night in order to get to sleep, I must add a positive word for the cooling system. It's one of those in-wall units beneath a window - the sort that usually mean I won't be able to hear anything in the room when the AC is running, and that setting it for a certain temperature guarantees only that the room will be within 10 degrees, plus or minus, of the hoped-for setting. But the unit here was absolutely perfect, and the thermostat actually worked properly and maintained the temp. exactly where I wanted it.

The many amenities described by myself and others remain, from free dog treats (and even generous daily supplies of organic dog food) to ice cream, fruit, granola bars and good coffee, free DVD use - and all that's without leaving the lobby, or heading off to the complimentary happy hours, or O'Cairn's much-touted cooked-to-order breakfasts. (No clumsy, serve-yourself waffle irons and plastic bins of cereal passing as "free breakfast" at O'Cairn's.)

I wish I could claim to have a found a hotel this refreshing and reliable in EVERY city I visit routinely. I can't find one in Portland, Or, or Las Vegas, or Denver, Co, or Minneapolis... but when I'm forced to visit Lompoc, CA, at least I know where I'm staying, and that I'll enjoy it.

1  Thank 2008travellover

Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is our first time staying at a Best Western Plus property. If this is any indication of the standard PLUS facility - What a great surprise!

The rooms are nothing special but comfortable. Ours had a microwave and full refrigerator which came in handy.

The happy hour is a wonderful addition to a long day and Courtney (the bartender) was a real pleasure - very friendly.

Breakfast - OUTSTANDING!! Full cooked to order from menu - FREE! That's a savings of at least $25/day for two people; and the young ladies there every morning were very friendly and the food was delicious!

Nice surprise was the DVD collection for your use in the in-room DVD player and the free ice cream at the front desk.

Pool was cold for being heated & in July and while there were BBQ pits and a large cooking area with refrigerator it appeared that it had not been cleaned for quite a few days with food in the refrigerator going to waste.

Even with that - Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Overall we were very pleased with our stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room had an enormous flat screen TV and all the cable channels you could want AND a DVR! Internet worked great. The made to order breakfast was CRAZY good (though it did take quite a long time before it was brought to us). In fact, I don't think we've ever had breakfast at a hotel that good that was actually included in the price of the room. The ONLY "negative," if it's even a negative, is that the carpet in the room definitely needs replaced. But overall we give this place an excellent rating!

Reviewed July 8, 2011

I stay at least 70 nights per year in hotels. Much of this is business, but plenty for leisure. We stayed 2 nights over the July 4th Holiday. I stopped staying at Best Westerns several years ago because they just couldn't compare to the other chain I used. I had enough points left to cover this stay, and although I was apprehensive because I have become a bit of a hotel snob, I was extremely happy with my stay.
At check-in there were nice granola bars at the desk. The attendant was really friendly and helpful. I was concerned that we might not get a good room because it was on points. I was so wrong.
Our room had a huge new kingsize bed with pillowtop mattress, full size fridge, gigantic flatscreen tv mounted on the wall in front of bed, micro, coffee maker (with real cream) and leather recliner. Beds can be difficult, too soft, too hard. This one was firm with a pillowtop. Perfect. I would rate it just as nice as the nicest 5 star I've stayed in. The were good quality, not 5 star, but did I mention the bed? There was no nasty comforter that you might find in less expensive chains. The shower was GREAT. really good water pressure, high enough for tall people. The room color was a light mint green, not my fave, but it's the O'Cairns - I'm thinking it goes with the irish theme. We had satellite tv and a DVD player. The front desk had HUNDREDS of DVD's to choose from, including all the new movies available. AND they had ICE CREAM! GRATIS! The happy hour is 3 hours long and breakfast was amazing. Cooked to order, groovy coffee machine for cappucinos. If I were traveling on business and I had this as a choice or my very favorite where everyone knows me, I'd switch and stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
BWOCManager, General Manager at O'Cairns Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

My name is Justin Barrick and I am the General Manager. I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It is because of happy guests like you who have taken the time to review us, that we are the #1 hotel in Lompoc. We strive to offer the very highest level of customer service at all times, and are always looking for more ways to go above and beyond for our guests. You pretty much covered everything, and I am so pleased that you got to take advantage of all of our amenities. We hope to see you again, and again thank you for your wonderful review.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

After reading the review about this being the "best" Best Western in the world, we booked one night here. The best thing here was the breakfast. It was served restraunt style. As far as the rest of the stay, this place is old. Outdoor corridors, very poor paint job in bathroom, (peeling and paint smears) and by 5 in the morning we were unable to sleep anymore because of the noise level. There seemed to be no insulation between the walls at all. Road traffic was also very noticable. Internet is hard wire, so only one guest can use it at a time. This place is ok but I don't think we will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank campingangel
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here only one night on our road trip but sure wished all of our nights were here. The owners/managers have thought of so many details to make your stay comfortable. Right down to the leather recliner, big screen tv and dvd player in your room! The complimentary happy hours drinks and breakfast, bar menu with good food and reasonable prices and business station also were a huge plus. Very clean rooms and extremely comfy. We highly recommend a stay here!

Reviewed July 4, 2011

We really liked the stay at this hotel. Even though it was a bit expensive at $125 per night, the room was spacious, with an oven, refrigerator, TV with various channels, DVD player, music system etc. Free breakfast amazing, in fact, it was a full meal from menu. And, there various hot beverages for free at all times. We would love to be back at this hotel provided the service stays this way :).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc
Lompoc Valley Inn & Suites
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
Hotel Corque
Hotel Corque
#1 of 11 in Solvang

Been to O'Cairns Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!