“Just Right”

O'Cairns Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lompoc
Reviewed November 9, 2007

The friendly front desk clerk went out of her way to assure us that our very late arrival would not be a problem. We had been delayed by an unfortunate crash on highway 5, resulting in major detours and delays for thousands of travelers. It was a relief to know that at least our hotel room would be waiting for us whenever we happened to arrive. We were greeted warmly and felt instantly at ease.
Our room was very clean, and the bed was almost as comfortable as my Tempurpedic at home. A full size refrigerator and small microwave almost convinced me to go grocery shopping and cook. (But I got over it.) The lighted magnifying mirror by the sink was a nice touch, too. I never sat in the full size reclining chair as my husband claimed that first, but it looked very comfortable.
The landscaping was nicely done, and created a pleasantly tranquil environment.
Sound traveling through the walls and echoing down the hallways is a small annoyance. I also would prefer to call the hotel directly rather than make arrangements through an overseas "reservation factory."
All things considered, we will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for O'Cairns Inn & Suites

Reviewed August 12, 2007

I have never wasted my time rating anything on the net – but this Best Western deserves some recognition! If you need to work at VAFB or just coming for a day trip from LA to visit the wine country – this Motel is the best around (and it’s still close enough to Solvang and much cheaper). The BW is much better than the Lompoc Embassy Suites. The BW pool is clean and the Jacuzzi is hot. The rooms have a DVD player and they offer free new released DVD movies. When I arrived, my full-size refrigerator was stocked with Gatorade (they remembered my request from a previous stay – unheard of customer care). The suites have a very nice 50 inch plasma TV with all the cable channels. Some rooms have memory foam beds and an awesome recliner which makes you feel like you are home. They offer a simple breakfast which doesn’t compare to Sonny’s ES cook to order but its good enough. The BW coffee is better. The staff at the front desk are very nice and will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. They even showed a pay-per-view boxing match for free in their lounge. They also host an occasional cookout by the pool. Only thing missing are the chocolates on your pillow with your covers turned down and a creative folded towel creature.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2007

This is a nice motel. It is right off the 246 and 1, so it wins for convenience. It is at least 18 miles from Buelton though, so if you're coming off the 101, it's a trek to get there.

The rooms were large and had nice paintings. As promised by other reviewers, we were able to check out three up-to-date movies at no charge for the DVD player in the room. The bathroom was small-ish but nice, and the bed was SOOO COMORTABLE. Really one of the best I've ever stayed in.

Staff was a bit slow, and the night staff member who gave us our movies told us a strange story about a bachelor party and how marriage was over-rated. We scurried out of there in a hurry, but other than him, the experience was nice and I'd stay there again.

Breakfast was quite good, but there wasn't enough room to sit down, so we brought it back to our room.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2007

I expected this to be an ordinary Best Western. Instead, I found a place that goes out of its way to make it an excellent place to stay. First of all, the staff is extremely helpful, warm and friendly. They even let me send a long distance fax for free.

Room set up is above and beyond what you get at upscale hotels:
* Large room
* Full-size modern refrigerator, better than what I've seen in most houses.
* Lazyboy-type reclining chair.
* Large TV (and all rooms will soon have plasma TV)
* Very comfortable bed (Arlington Plush by Select Rest).
* Very clean.

Also:
* Complimentary snacks available 24/7. My partner asked how much the container of pudding was and it was free!
* Free computer available in lobby.

In addition, the grounds were quiet.

I hate to voice any complaints in a place that tries so hard to be the best, but the walls were thin enough so I heard my neighbor on the other side snoring. (Or maybe he just snored very loudly.) In any case, I could drown out any noise next door when I turned on the fan. And the floor on the 2nd floor above me was creaky. Small bathroom, but that wasn't problem.

My experience here was so overwhemly positive, that we stayed an extra night and commuted to Solvang, about a half hour away.

Other hotels could stand to learn from this place: instead of cutting corners in an attempt to save money, make your facility a great place that people will *want* to stay at.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank groovyvegan
Reviewed June 25, 2007

For the money this was a very nice hotel. We stopped for one night on our way towards L.A. for a wedding. Clean and well cared for outdoor area, and what a surprise entering the room! A lovely comfy bed, recliner chair and a full size fridge! Felt very comfortable and able to relax at this hotel. We visited the California mission La Purisima, a short drive from hotel. A beautiful historic site with lots to see. I highly recommend a stop here, we spent about an hour and a half, good stop for children, but lots of walking involved. Lompoc is a nice town with interesting murals on many downtown buildings. A pleasant stop for us on our way down south.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lane t
Reviewed June 10, 2007

This hotel was only a stop over, so we were only at the hotel for one night, but it was very good. Rooms were large, very clean and very well equipped. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed April 1, 2007

This is a very nice hotel, I have stayed in a few different one's in LOMPOC and this so far is the best. Has full size refrigerator, microwave, boombox radio, VCR/DVD player, free movies...They had it all!! Highly recommend this place to stay when visiting in LOMPOC, well worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debizcool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc
Lompoc Valley Inn & Suites
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
Hotel Corque
Hotel Corque
#1 of 11 in Solvang

Been to O'Cairns Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!