WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Best camping beach in so cal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jalama Beach County Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lompoc
Jalama Beach County Park
California
“Best camping beach in so cal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

Wow what a beach. We camped at Jalama the first weekend of March and it was the best beach camping experience my family and I have had. We lucked out and had a secluded site on the beach. Beach front campsites have bushes on each side which gives you privacy. We were so happy we were able to bring the dogs on the beach. The beach goes for miles with awsome tide pools. We spent alot of our days beach combing through the multi colored rocks and beautiful sea shells. There are alot of star fish we came across too..really neat..We also went fishing and caught alot of fish...We defenatly suggest this beach on the off season. The weather was perfect, the sites were somewhat quiet, and it was mostly family oriented. There are quiet a bit of surfers that come for the day on the weekends but they keep cool..We are defenatly going to make coming to Jalama Beach a yearly tradition and highly recomend camping here..

4 Thank rootpopp

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

My first time at Jalama Beach was wonderful!! we had reserved four spots from Wednesday through Sunday for our friends, although we all arrived friday night. Everything went well, except for the complainers who instead of enjoying the view or the stars at night, go to complain to the Park Ranger about the neighbors laugh being too loud jajajaja!! as for the Park Ranger, very polite and understanding, I was impressed by the way they approached the issues. I will absolutely continue to visit this hiden paradise. The Jalama store owner, a great man! he let me borrow his own broom so I could clean the muddy tent that all the kids messed up, he should stock up some brooms for sale so he doesn't have to borrow his to any stranger. The next time I go back, I will set up a fire place at the beach and play my conga and bongos to get my friends dancing away from the complainers.

Stayed October 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

Jalama Beach is a beautiful place tucked away at the end of a windy road near Lompoc, CA. To get a camping spot there requires some effort, but it is definitely worth it if you can do it. This camping area is first come, first served, which is usually not an issue in the off seasons, but during the Summer it can be quite complicated. The way it works is this: People who want to camp on a particular day have to put their name on a list. At 3 PM, the ranger reads down the list and if you are present and your name is called, you get a spot. The earliest you can put your name on the list is 6 AM on the day you want to camp, and you have to physically go to the Jalama ranger station to do it (you can't call it in). Luckily I have some friends who live near Jalama who went down there at 6 to surf and put my name down. I was surprised to learn that when he gave them my name, there were already 13 people on the list! Apparently if you don't get a spot on the day you want it, you can have your name roll over to the next day. Luckily many of those people didn't show up at 3 PM, so I was able to get a spot.
Another option is to go down there on an off day like a Monday or Tuesday and reserve the whole week and then not show up until the weekend. Many locals do this, although it obviously ends up costing a lot more money.
The campground itself is not like typical wilderness camping, because the spots are all right next to each other along the beach. You don't get much in the way of privacy, but everyone is friendly so I didn't see it as a problem. There are also plenty of bathrooms and the famous Jalama grill. Dogs are welcome and probably about 75% of the people there had them.
I love this place and will definitely keep going back!!

1 Thank angiebombshell
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2006

Nice beach, but the campground is a bit problematic. Campsites are EXTREMELY close together. In most cases, the campsites are actually side by side (no space in between). It's a little unnerving sleeping in a tent less then 5 feet from strangers in the next campsite. This closeness was the cause of an altercation with our neighbors the nearly turned physical and ultimately ruined our family camping trip. Security in the park was ineffective. Also, the best sites are taken well in advance by Lompoc locals who drive up on Monday morning and purchase these sites (sometimes many at a time) for the entire week, then show up Friday evening for the weekend. Very unfair.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2006

These are some of the photos from our family get together, campsite and bathrooms are clean. Good deal for your budget.

9 Thank ToddNugent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Santa Ynez Inn
#3 of 10 in Solvang
O'Cairns Inn & Suites
O'Cairns Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Lompoc

Been to Jalama Beach County Park? Share your experiences!