“Did you mean "Dread Zone?"”
Review of Red Zone Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Did you mean "Dread Zone?"”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

It's really hard to mess up deep fried foot yet here I was, eating "buffalo balls" and thinking to myself "why did I order this?" My girlfriend's onion rings were just gross. We didn't finish. Basically, the food was garbage. The service at the table was iffy, the server seemed to be jaded and we were asked four times between two different people what we wanted to drink, even after the fact that we had already placed our order. When delivering our food they kept mixing up who had ordered what dish, and even the checks got mixed up at the end. They never offered a refill on any of our drinks or asked how everything was during our meal. Being in the customer service industry myself, I cringed - especially with the snotty little -- that rang us up before we left. She had quite the attitude, and if I was her supervisor she'd be canned. People like the burgers here... But really, why would anybody come here for a burger when you could go to Tom's?

Basically, I walked into this place with an optimistic attitude expecting a decent meal, that didn't happen and I was actually turned off by the disorganized staff. We won't be back.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Andrew F

Santa Barbara, California
“Sad,,,,Very Very Sad place to eat.....!!!!!”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

No sure if the folks there running it are aware on how to take care of the people when they enter they place. But I couldn't get help right away,, just waited and waited.. And when I did get help, the food I ordered was awful,,,and I mean just bad.. Plus it had a funny smell.... I will not eat there again.... !!!! And I don't think they will be open much longer,,, unless they are just serving their family there...

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Herman P
Long Beach, CA
“It's Good”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This is Lompoc, people. An above average military town. For the local economy, Red Zone is exactly on track. I like the burgers there, and you can always find something good at the bar. I found the pricing to be on par with other military towns I've been to, but with better food. I visited when it was Saletti's and I found their food exceptional. Dessert is hit or miss, sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much. Especially on busy nights, the wait-staff can get busy, but I've always found them ready to help. It is a sports themed bar - so expect there to be big screens and memorabilia (especially of the local variety) decorating the walls. Another reviewer alluded to Mi Amore across the street, but it's comparing apples to broccoli. Having grown up in "the Poke", Mi Amore was never our first choice of dining options - for a reason.

• Visited December 2011
Lompoc, California
“Great drinks, awful food!”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

It's very difficult finding a good restaurant in this town. Being a local in a small town you are stuck giving places many tries hoping they will get better. In this case, the Red Zone is very consistent. I have never been happy with a meal and after at least 10 tries we gave up. A good example would have to be the patty melt my wife received last month. There was rye bread and there was hamburger meat inside, however every Chef should know that the rye bread on a patty melt should be grilled and the Swiss cheese should be at least a little melted. My wife's patty melt came with soft rye bread and unmelted Swiss cheese. We did send it back but I think the cook just put the bread in the toaster. I ordered the roast beef au jus sandwich a couple times and you can count on the roast beef in the sandwich to be dried out and hard but hey I guess that's what the au jus is for. I have many examples but I'll just stop complaining and give them a compliment, their drinks are outstanding! They put a lot of liquor in each drink and you will be feeling so good after you finish your first one that you should be just about ready to order a meal, but you may one to go for a second one before you get that daring. The service isn't very good at all, just be ready for a long wait. The prices are way too high for bar food. The atmosphere is nice, but it is very dark inside and they must have some kind of collection pit next to the entryway because there's always a foul smell just outside the door. Quick summary, come here if you want a stiff drink, go elsewhere if you want decent food. The bar kept them from getting a terrible rating.

• Visited August 2011
4 Thank ----Meat-a-balls----
Santa Ynez Valley , CA
“Improving”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I wandered in on a Saturday evening to get a bite to eat at the bar. Wanted to get away from the burgers and stuff and found a Caesar salad on the menu with a chicken option. Bartender asked if I wanted something added, opted for some tomatoes. Salad was excellent for an egg free Caesar. Generous serving , great dressing, crisp lettuce and good chicken.

One other strong point for the bar is the excellent local wines they serve by the glass. Generous pour of a couple different , high quality reds completed the meal.

The restaurant originally opened as Salettis , probably the best food in Lompoc. About 5 years ago the restaurant was sold to the current owners. However, in a tough economy the restaurant was not a good fit for the local economy. The sports bar conversion appears to be successful . By reducing the cost of dinners (low margin) they are getting customers who stay longer and drink more (high margin) .

Service, even at the bar, can be slow when they are busy.

I have taken groups of visiting friends there for dinner after wine tasting and its not a great place for a group if you want to talk (unless you get the former bank vault now dining room)

Sadly exterior maintenance is poor with the parking lot in need of major repairs.

If I wanted the more upscale food on the menu I would probably go somewhere else for the environment.
Recommend for what it is , a sports bar with a good sports bar menu.

• Visited May 2011