“More Than Lived Up To It's Billing!”
Review of School Street Bistro - CLOSED

School Street Bistro
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Montgomery, Texas
“More Than Lived Up To It's Billing!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

During a 3-day stay in Lodi to sample local wines, my wife and I dined at the School Street Bistro. We had made advance reservations on Open Table. It came highly recommended in TripAdvisor and by several locals at tasting rooms in Lodi. We were not disappointed! My wife and I each had a glass of LangeTwins Sauvignon Blanc (their house wine) and the house special of grilled halibut. It turns out that the Bistro owners are also the wine-makers at LangeTwins! We also shared the daily special appetizer of fried green tomatoes, plus a piece of apple pie for dessert. Everything, especially the halibut and fried tomatoes were excellent. Wayne, our server, who had been recommended by a local at a wine bar, was excellent. It’s definitely on our “must do A-list” if we are back in the area.

• Visited July 2014

San Francisco, CA area
“A reliably good meal, nice atmosphere and great service.”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I've had the pleasure of enjoying several meals at School Street Bistro, and every one has been excellent. The restaurant is medium-sized, located right downtown, and very comfortable. The menu is not adventurous, but features little twists here and there. The meatloaf is amazing, the steaks are good, as are the pork chops, good pasta. The sides are better than at many places -- the mashed potatoes are wonderful, and the smoked Gouda macaroni and cheese is superb. The service is very friendly and efficient in my experience, and the prices reasonable for this kind of dining experience and quality of food.

• Visited May 2014
Lodi, CA
“A little noisy but yummy”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The place is small and with stylish but unpretentious decor. Service is always professional, attentive and pleasant and the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food.
I had the Shrimp and grits with goat cheese and it was a plate-licker with large plump perfectly cooked prawns over creamy tangy polenta, a very generous portion. My friend had a salad topped with sliced warm steak and hot crispy french fried onion rings that was a delightful meal in itself, but we still had to try the crab cake tater tots, which were as good as they sound. Nice wine selection including a lot of local vintners , and desserts are simple but worth the calories. I eyed the warm bread pudding on the menu but didn't have room after the ample meal, so opted for the perfect bite of a freshly made molasses cookie with an expertly brewed espresso. I am a serious coffee snob and I gave this 5 stars.My only complaint is there are a lot of hard surfaces and no division between tables , so if you are seated next to a loud crowd, its hard to hear your dinner companion across the table. Some drapes? A rug or two? Still, will come back again and again. Nice job!

Visited June 2014
Lodi, California
“Slow service and we felt we were judged”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We say down for and early dinner about 5pm. There were about 4 other tables with older folks eating. He service just to get our first drink was very slow( 10mins ). We almost and should have left. The staff was catering to the older crowd only. If they only knew how well we tip and if they only knew we own a business in town too I bet our service would have been better. The food was not good at all and we will never go back.

1 Thank pdgaffer
US
“Very High Noise Levels”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We found the noise level at School Street Bistro to be beyond our comfort zone. Thankfully there were a few sidewalk tables and it was cool enough to move. The service was good, although we had go find our waiter to pay the bill.

Visited May 2014