“a bit pricey for what you get”

Best Western I-5 Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Lodi
Reviewed July 10, 2011

POSITIVES-easy access to freeway, located right next to McDonald's TacoBell, Carl's Jr. and a couple other cafes frequented by truckers, gas stations next door, generally clean and well-maintained exterior and rooms; enough free parking above and underground.

NEGATIVES (depending on how you perceive it) -
1. pool is very small; six people in it would be crowded. But it is indoors and warm and there is a jacuzzi.
2. water pressure is very low...so low, that one is tempted to take longer showers just to feel cleaner. Somewhat defeats the purpose of water-saving.
3. air conditioner is weak and sometimes non-existent. We spent an evening in a room where the air conditioner did not work (not good in 90 degree weather). We asked to be moved asap and were able to get another room the next day but having to move into another room right when we were getting ready to leave the hotel to attend an activity was quite an inconvenience and we ended up missing our planned morning commitment. This was really obnoxious. And, no, we were not compensated for this inconvenience even though I asked.
4. continental breakfast was adequate...waffles that you could make, danishes, bananas, hard-boiled eggs in their shells, orange and apple juice, milk, and very watery coffee. Also, a couple of oatmeal packets inconspicuously placed with the cream and sugar packets. The manager or maybe he was the owner hovered over breakfast eaters, too, watching closely as they/we prepared our "feast". Maybe he was tallying the cost of providing continental breakfast and seeing what else he could eliminate. He certainly was not friendly or welcoming.
5. One very slow and extremely narrow elevator serves the building and is shared with the housekeeping staff who have to maneuver their cart-load of supplies through narrow doors. Better take the stairs up one, two, or three flights. Good exercise and you'll get there faster.

Room Tip: rooms on that are even numbers face the freeway, odd numbers face the fields and other fast food pla...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank traipsingguru

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband & I stayed overnight after driving north on the Hwy 5 for close to 8 hours and saw this Best Western off the highway. We've stayed at a couple of other BW's during this trip and thought we would be in good hands. We checked into a King size room where the AC was so weak that it took at least a couple of hours to cool down our room and we definitely needed that concidering the 95F temperature. The water pressure is terrible...I guess the hotel is trying to do their part to save the environment but if we are paying our hard earned money for this hotel (which wasn't cheap) we expect to have better water pressure so we can have a nice shower and feel clean. The swimming pool is a joke...it's a
why bother pool as it's so small and narrow. No AC in the elevators and hallway...the free breakfast was lacking...the room was average and not very clean. Our bedsheets had some holes in it. The only good thing was the free wi-fi which actually worked at a good speed (except the front staff should give the access code out front). Staff not very friendly. If you ask us if we would stay at this hotel again, we would say no and would try a different hotel...this location does not make Best Western look good and we are considering not staying at Best Western again if this location is representing them.

Room Tip: Check out Trip Advisor &/or Hotel.com
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MeShopaholic
Reviewed February 15, 2011

The general stay was pleasurable. I frequently stay at Best Westerns. This one was great in sanitation and cleanliness. The only draw backs are very slow internet and elevator. The hotel is also huge on water conservation. This being said the shower has little pressure and flow. Despite the drawbacks, I feel it is made up in service by the management.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western in Lodi for one night on our way from Ashland, OR to Yosemite National Park. So we pretty much picked this place randomly on the day, walking in at 6pm. The reason we chose it was because it was just off the I5 and we saw the sign.

I can't say that much about it, other than that the room was clean, larger and more comfortable than a lot of rooms we'd stayed in on our road trip. It was refreshing to be able to sleep.

Breakfast was in a bit of a weird location just off the lobby, but it was pretty good and included waffles. The staff wasn't very friendly though, and I wouldn't expect too much just because it says it has a pool. The so-called "pool" is a dirty little waterhole so small you can't possibly swim in it. We didn't use it. The internet didn't work on my laptop, but I had this problem in a few other places as well.

We didn't drive into Lodi, but there aren't really any groceries stores in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. There is a Taco Bell, a Carls Jr. and a gas station, along with another motel across from the Best Western that I would probably check out for rates as well.

I wouldn't say it's something you need to pre-book, but when we walked in on the day we got a rate of 100 Dollars for three guests, double queen room. Not sure if this is good or bad. We were content with it for the nice room we got, and the one-night stop just off the freeway.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I'm writing from my room right now , just spent the night here , great service , fast wifi service nice little pool and spa tub comfy beds, after a 9hr drive greeted by a friendly desk person , who checked us in fast got to my room dropped on the beds nice and comfy clean room fridge to put water in for next day, close to i5 , lots of places to eat , handy for gas , not noisy considering how close everything is , would highly recommend

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Garyl64
Reviewed May 10, 2010

This Best Western is new and very comfortable. It is an easy on/off form the I-5. Rooms are spacious. Wireless internet is weak in the room, but very strong in the breakfast room. They also have a computer setup for guests to use. The pool is very small, but the spa is nice. There are adequate eating places right close-by. This is a good place to stay over while enroute to your destination.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We chose this hotel for a one night stop to break up a long journey. It is very conveniently placed, beside the I 5 and with a couple of restaurants close by. It is very clean, breakfast was fine, the swimming pool was very small but still refreshing, and most importantly it had a guest laundry which had become essential by that stage on a long trip.
The only downside to it was noise. It is very much a truck stop and so there was lots of engine noise early in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple