“Worst Bestern”

Best Western I-5 Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Lodi
Reviewed September 27, 2007

After a long 10 hour drive, my family and I were more than ready to find a reputable, inexpensive hotel that would fit our family of 6. Seeing the sign for the Best Western and having had good experiences with that hotel chain in the past, we pulled in and booked a room...

Big Mistake! As soon as we approached the building, we were horrified to see a box labeled "Caution, Do Not Touch. Rat Poison!"
Right away we wanted to leave, but escape was not an option... it was getting dark, and we needed somewhere to collapse. We pressed on...

The staircase was musty and we opened the door of our room to find stains all over the carpet, only two queen beds (apparently their "biggest" room, they didn't mind making 2 of us sleep on the gross floor) My father attempted to use the bathroom, only to find that the lock was broken. We called up a hotel mechanic, who didn't speak English well and spent about 20 minutes actually removing and replacing the lock. The employees of the hotel were dressed sloppily in casual clothes and indistinguishable from the hotel guests except for their crooked name tags. In the guest folder, the author misspelled several words (tooth was spelled “thooth” and remember spelled “remeber”, as well as questionable punctuation), not a huge issue in it of itself, but laughable when thrown in with these other mishaps.

But the Best Western's definition of "pool" takes the cake...
After attempting to settle in, we prepared to take a dip in their advertised pool. As we opened the door, we were shocked to find a teeny strip of water about 4 feet wide and 10 feet long, with at least 6 people crammed in to escape the heat... Nearly overcome with exhaustion, we decided to forego the "swim" and re-pack our swim suits.

In favor of the hotel, the complimentary breakfast was decent and the room was clean enough.

Needless to say though, if I am ever in Lodi again, I will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Cinnabunnies
There are newer reviews for Best Western I-5 Inn & Suites

Reviewed August 20, 2007

No reservations, just pulled off the freeway. Clean property, very helpful staff - even suggested a great pizza delivery place. Hotel is surrounded by fast food places, no full service chains nearby. A bit noisy with truck sounds with window open. Can't hear the trucks with the windows closed, A/C on low.

Pool is very small - more like a lap pool rectangle. Can't really "swim" in it.

Continential breakfast includes juice, waffles, cereal, toast, bagels, coffee, tea, the full circuit of a quick meal.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank MsSnoop
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Pros: Nice, clean room for the $$ -friendly staff -hot tub was adequate for four persons - within walking distance of many fast food resturaunts - short drive to several wine-tasting rooms -about 15 minutes from downtown Lodi.
Cons: Pool was small! Nearby truck stop noise could bother some.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank cherokee1154
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Convenient location, gas and restaurants close by and a 5 minute drive to shopping and many other restaurants. We found the hotel quite pleasant and thier staff competant. I have stayed there several times, and have never had a problem. The water pressure as mentioned by someone else was never a problem, perhaps it was a water company issue. The pool is tiny and unusable, but I don't care.The room was clean, rooms quite, and the bed Is the best I have slept in for a long time. The continental breakfast is lacking, but on par with most medium priced hotels, and some much more expensive.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank 1tracman
Reviewed February 11, 2007

Stayed 2 nights at this Best Western. Location is convenient to freeway, and gas. Hotel is new. Probably less than 5 years old. That's the end of the good news. Water pressure is terrible. Unless you are bald good luck washing your hair. The really problem however was the manager and front desk. They didn't clean my room the second day. The housekeepers didn't understand when I told them to come back in an hour so they just never came back. I also ordered a roll away which ended up being a 3 inch foam mattress that they put on the carpet with no bedding, pillows or blankets. My son took one look at it decided not to say and drove 2 hours home. The next day when I complained they said "Your expections are too high, you didn't ask for any sheets, and you should have told us to have your room cleaned and not talked to the housekeeping staff". They finally gave me a $10.00 discount on the room and didn't charge the $10.00 fee for the "rollaway". I would sleep in my car before I would stay here again. I usually have good luck with Best Westerns but this was a terrible experience. These people were SO RUDE!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank pipercomanche
Reviewed November 10, 2005

Stayed one night on a trip south and picked the motel because of proximity to the Woodbridge Preserve birding area and the previous review. Pluses: convenient to I-5 and clean. Minuses: few restaurants nearby unless fast food is your thing; probably the worst continental breakfast we have had in a Best Western (terrible coffee, no cereal or fresh fruit, and a meager selection of bread and toppings); no newspapers available even for purchase. All in all, overpriced and we would be unlikely to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank XC-Ski
Reviewed September 10, 2005

best stay i ever had. wonderful service great beds. they had very clean rooms. great breakfast. very kind personal. will defenetly stay there again. and will recommend to all my friends. excelent service.

1  Thank Alfonso M