“A beautiful spot for a delicious meal”

The Dancing Fox Winery, Brewery, Bakery & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 205 Restaurants in Lodi
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A family run place where Mom is the Baker, Dad is the winemaker, Sons are the Brewmaster, manager and chef. All breads are stone milled on site using organic grains and soups made from scratch. Wines are certified sustainable from estate grown grapes. Brews vary from light to dark stouts. We serve lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday. Sunday brunch from 9 to 1:30pm and lunch from 11 to 3. Having an event? Be sure to check out our beautiful banquet room.
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Both the indoor and outdoor seating sections are beautiful and filled with charm. The service has been very friendly and accommodating the two times I have been there. They have a very nice selection of unique draft beers in addition to their wine. The food was fresh and delicious. I will absolutely go back.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Had excellent service. Guys in our party were offered samples of beers to taste at our table before choosing. I enjoyed a nice Chardonnay. Everyone enjoyed there food selection, although I'd prefer bread rather than a giant pretzel with my meal.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We always enjoy our meals at the Dancing Fox. I am not a fan of their wine, but they have a great beer selection. All the bread is made on-site, so it's always very fresh. Make sure you try the pretzel before your meal arrives.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The problem with this place is expectation. The decor is so charming and well done, you expect the service and food to match and it doesn't. When it is good, the food is pretty good, which says that someone there knows how to cook. But often its mediocre or bad which says no one there cares enough to make *sure* its good before it leaves the kitchen. I have had a nice fresh sandwich accompanied by burned oily soggy fries. Sometimes the pizza is crisp hot and topped with fresh tasty ingredients, sometimes its tepid, underdone, and topped with what appear to be leftovers. The baked goods are a disgrace. They look pretty in the case, but its obvious that they hope you won't notice the muffin or cookie on your plate has sat in that display case for well over a day and is not just past is prime, its stale. The service is most problematic. It seems the wait staff may be mostly family. Young fellows who are pleasant enough when you can get their attention, but Its often hard to identify who is working there as they dress in sloppy casual with no identifying apparel. An apron? A tee shirt with a logo? Something? It appears this is an intentional camouflage strategy because they have all made a study in avoiding eye contact. If they look at you you might ask them something, and often they just don't know. They don't know how to serve, they don't know the menu and they don't know how to greet customers. Seriously, when you walk in the front door, you can see one or two hustling about but they make a point of not looking at you for fear you may want to be seated! A simple glance, a smile, and "I'll be right with you" would go a long way toward making me feel they cared if I stayed.
Our last ( and I do mean last) visit my companion managed to snag someone who looked like he might work there after we had sat for 15 minutes without so much as a glass of water, and asked for a cup of coffee. Startled, he looked like a surfer-dude deer caught in the proverbial headlights, and trotted off, later returning with a cup of black coffee, no spoon, no "would you like cream with that?" and dropped it on the table and ran. After 5 more minutes we spotted him in a stand of chairs and managed to lure him back to ask if non dairy creamer was to be had. Again, he looked startled and disappeared into the forest, returning later to state that no, no such condiment was available. And left. We were later able to snare a busboy who was quite pleasant and made an effort to go get us a soup spoon for the coffee. Our small pizza and sandwich took 45 minutes to arrive, and were not satisfactory.This place could be such a gem if they would get some kind of professional management to train the staff, and someone in the kitchen who had more pride than to put out stale soggy food on the darling little antique tables with quaint fox themed decor. But now that there are so many more choices for casual creative dining in Lodi, I'll skip this one until they get it together

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have eaten at the Dancing Fox twice now. Both dinners, I ate there with my dad who had the same thing each time (the guacamole burger), though I had two different entrees. The first time we ate there, we had a male waiter (I can't provide a name because they don't wear nametags, to my knowledge). The service was very good. I had the Bangers and Mash (one larger sausage served over mashed potatoes with gravy all on top). The food was excellent witha special note about the gravy and garnish. I find both in my own cooking and in some restaurants that it is very difficult to make a truly great gravy or sauce. I would describe this gravy as very well balanced and flavorful. Of all the things that I recall about this meal, I remember the gravy the best. If I can remember after several weeks about one restaurant's gravy, I would describe it as outstanding to say the least.

Our second visit was not quite as great as the first. Our server was a girl, quite pleasant in any other regard, but lacking, perhaps, in attentiveness. As we sat down, we were both served a water. My dad ordered a diet soda. We ordered and thought all was well. The wait time for our food seem rather long, but in the meantime, my dad's soda was refilled while my water remained unfilled. When we finally received our entrees, of which I had ordered the Pasta Primavera, they were only warm, with mine visibly seeming to have sat under a heat lamp for a while. As I started in on my food, I could tell that the flavors weren't all they were meant to be and had faded the longer the plate sat unserved. At this point, after waiting for quite some time for a glass of water, I finally asked my dad for his untouched glass. He agreed and gave it to me so that both water glasses were to my side of the table. Our waitress finally came back and took the empty glass and my dad's soda glass, only to return to the table and place both refilled glasses on his side of the table. By the time we had finished our meal, my dad's drink was refilled several times and mine was left untouched by our waitress. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with the service on our last visit. It had the potential to be great, but the poor service left a sour taste in my mouth and I have little desire to return.

My rating is reduced one star for the service on this one visit and if I return to find the same service, I will not return thereafter.

2  Thank Kelly C