“An oasis but changes noted”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wine & Roses Hotel

Wine & Roses Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Lodi
Fresno, California
“An oasis but changes noted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We have been going to Wine & Roses for approx. 10 years. It is truly an oasis. We love the setting here; we relax just arriving and checking in. The garden rooms (not newer spa rooms) are our favorite.

We originally came as part of a business trip on the way to Sacramento and have returned many times over the years, both for business and pleasure. Over the years, as would be expected, there have been changes, some of these have been great (no charge for internet) while others have not been (no bathrobes, continental breakfast first greatly reduced in selection then discontinued completely - now a very pricey breakfast available at the restaurant, TVs in bathroom missing control buttons, therefore don't work.) It seems that there is no longer the warmth and attention to detail that was once there. We were given a letter on letterhead from the General Manager on our most recent visit; it explained some of the changes. While it was stated that the changes were part of the "vision," it did not seem to take into account guest "vision" but rather management vision.

We especially love the rooms with a fireplace.

On our most recent visit, for the first time ever, we were kept up until very late at night by the guests in the room above us. We tried turning on our room a/c to drowned out the noise; it didn't work. We finally called the front office and they said they'd call the other guests; the noise ended about 20 minutes later.

Our room was clean, but . . there was a hangar sticking out of one waste basket - nothing else in it - how was that missed??

We have enjoyed the restaurant for dinner on each occasion, although the desserts were never super (we're used to gourmet and while these appeard to be, the tastes and textures just weren't there.) We have not ordered desserts for several years and won't again; we tried several times and were disappointed.

The staff has always been very pleasant, friendly, and helpful in the restaurant and hotel.

Also, when we have called during regular business hours to make reservations, for the past number of visits, we have been told by an answering machine to leave our name and number and we'd be called back. Due to the our schedule and availability, this wasn't possible - it just ddin't seem custmer oriented and friendly at all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank LoveGetAways70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Just read another review on here about the service. I found the same thing. Woke up in the morning and discovered there was no cream for the coffee in the room. I called down to the front desk and couldn't' get an answer after two very long tries. finally I used my cell phone thinking if the call wasn't coming from a room they might answer. The woman answered with a hurried curt tone. I told her there wasn't any cream in the room and she just said "well there's no one here for another hour". I'm thinking? really? You're the ONLY person working? she didn't apologize she didn't make it sound like she cared at all. She was going to make absolutely no effort. For that price?

Later I wasn't shocked by the poor attitude when I mentioned it to Kathy, the manager and she gave me the "I'll say I care while making it obvious that I really don't" attitude. And blamed everything on her staff person for not "carrying her cell phone with her". Which wasn't the point. The point was the service was poor and if she really had one staff person on at 6:30 in the morning then it's the fault of the management that service is poor. Not the desk person.

It looks high end. The rooms are amazing. The wine bar is great. The restaurant is excellent. The bar is super comfortable and the bartender was top of the line. The grounds are gorgeous. But there's a definite break down between their presentation and follow through. Including that they didn't serve breakfast in their restaurant!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

We were there ostensibly to attend the University of the Pacific graduation ceremony. Our best friend's son was graduating as was his girlfriend and the girlfriend's roommate. Because my wife and I had stayed at Wine & Roses in 2005 when our daughter graduated from UoP, we recommended the hotel as our base of operations.

Based on our recommendation the girlfriend's parents also decided to stay here. Then a few of their friends decided to stay here. And the next thing you knew we had also booked The Cellar Room for a post-graduation buffet dinner entitling all the room holders to a significant discount ($239.00 for standard Kilng room went to $179.00) for their stay.

But that is not why I say "better than should have been expected." Yeah, we were a significant group but in the total scheme of things since our our stay coincided with one of the main tourist events in Lodi, the Zinfandel Festival, you would have thought we would be lucky to even be noticed. Instead we were treated as special guests throughout our three night stay.

The hotel was fully booked both in rooms and restaurants for the weekend. There was a lot going on; Zin Festival, baby showers, graduation dinners. The hotel had expanded since we were there in 2005. They had added an additional 30 or so rooms, some of which were set up for extended stay complete with kitchenettes. They had added a pool, jacuzzi and weight room. They had moved the registration area to the building that houses the Lodi Wine & Visitor Center so they could expand the restaurant.

The restaurant has continued to receive rave reviews as one of the finest in the area. Having it on-site at the hotel makes it extra special. A group of ten of us enjoyed dinner there Sunday night even setting it up in a private room.

The hotel rooms were as spacious as I remembered them. Each of the rooms in the two story buildings have either a large balcony or a large patio complete with teak furniture. The room itself is large with a W&R's version of a heavenly bed, convenient coffee area and refrigerator. The bathroom has a separate toilet room, a soaking tub and tile floors.

But those are not the features I remember most about W&R. What I remember most is Kim tickling the ivories at piano bar in the lobby. The excellent service from Amber, a bartender who has been there six years. The casualness of Russ, the owner, who wanders around as if he is a guest making sure everyone is taken care of. He was even sitting on the couch one evening as it approached midnight, joining in a rendition of "Happy Birthday" when Amber informed us it was Kim's birthday

In fairness there are not a lot of luxury accommodations in the Lodi/Stockton area. In that regard W&R has a monopoly. Maybe they shouldn't try so hard. But Russ wouldn't have it any other way. From the rooms to the amenities (pool, jacuzzi, exercise room) to the on-site restaurant to the spa, W&R just keeps getting better.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. The prior time, about a year ago, I was in the older, historic B&B section of the facility. That room was down the hall from the bar, and while nice and had been updated a lot, clearly was not a 5 star stay. I had no trouble with noise (this is a pretty sedate bar), but the layout was dated.

This time, I was in a section of the property that was brand new, containing not only a series of new buildings with rooms, but also a new pool & patio area and the work out facility. All were quite nice.

The room (one king) was pretty large, and had a nice little patio outside. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows weren't my favorite (I tend to like flatter ones, personally). There is a nice new flat screen HD TV, a mini bar and the usual amenities. My complaint was that I could hear the person above me walking around, and opening and closing drawers at night. So either I am particularly sensitive, he/she is particularly loud, or perhaps the sound proofing between floors wasn't quite up to snuff?

I liked the huge bathroom, with its large, well lit, tiled tub and the adequate number of good quality towels. My complaint here (which I understand from the front desk has been made by others, too) was that the lighting in this beautiful bathroom had been designed by someone who has never used a bathroom. There was no (zero, none, zilch) lighting above the sink/mirror, and the general lighting in the room was inadequate so shaving in the dark was the order of the day. There was a light above the (very) small vanity, but it is a pendant light which casts light down, not on either the mirror or the person putting on make-up so it is useless and make-up too is done by guesstimate.

Correct those two nits and the rating goes up a notch.

By the way, I was there for a business meeting which had several meals catered -- I thought that for bulk meals the restaurant staff did a wonderful job. I am not a big fan of the famous rubber chicken luncheon, but mine was very nicely cooked. If you're going to have a buffet, have these folks do it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
MrsS916
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

From the moment I stepped on the property, Wine and Roses was an unforgettable experience. Apart from the beautiful grounds, I was greeted at the Front desk with a smile and enthusiasm. The service from check-in to check-out was exceptional. I have stayed at many hotels with my husband in the past, and Wine and Roses ranks at the top of our most memorable trips. Our hotel room, was more luxurious than expected and was extremely comfortable for our 3 night stay. If you are looking for a great romantic getaway, Wine and Roses is the perfect choice.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsS916
Ormond Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

this is the second time I have stayed here (for business both times). the hotel itself is very nice looking. the grounds are lovely and the rooms spacious (the in-room fireplaces are fantastic) but the service in this hotel really leaves something to be desired. Last time, it was neither here nor there (and it should be HERE for the price you pay for this hotel in Lodi) and this time it was pretty dismal. I finally wound up cancelling my room service order for coffee after 45 minutes. and it took me more than half an hr to get a hair dryer delivered to the room (I know the hair dryer thing does not seem like a tragedy or anything but when you get out of the shower and need to get ready for a business meeting and discover there is not a hair dryer in the room....)

Visually, the hotel is lovely, but for the price you pay here, the service should really be alot better. Next time I am in Lodi for business, I will be adventurous enough to try out a new place to stay.

The restaurant is good (fancy though) but quite expensive. if you want a casual dinner with every day comfort food or even just a normal salad, this is not the place to find it. The service is good in the restaurant!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank bonsai35
sunnyvale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

We went for an all girls weekend spa getaway and it was great. We enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean and service was good. The continental breakfast was a nice selection of assorted breads and a bowl of fruit. Just what we needed for breakfast. The spa service was good. Overall, we had a very relaxing weekend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lodi
Hampton Inn & Suites Lodi
BEST WESTERN I-5 Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Lodi
Days Inn & Suites Lodi
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Lodi/North Stockton
University Plaza Waterfront Hotel

Been to Wine & Roses Hotel? Share your experiences!