“Better than should have been expected”
Review of Wine & Roses Hotel

Wine & Roses Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Lodi
Huntington Beach, California
“Better than should have been expected”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We were there ostensibly to attend the University of the Pacific graduation ceremony. Our best friend's son was graduating as was his girlfriend and the girlfriend's roommate. Because my wife and I had stayed at Wine & Roses in 2005 when our daughter graduated from UoP, we recommended the hotel as our base of operations.

Based on our recommendation the girlfriend's parents also decided to stay here. Then a few of their friends decided to stay here. And the next thing you knew we had also booked The Cellar Room for a post-graduation buffet dinner entitling all the room holders to a significant discount ($239.00 for standard Kilng room went to $179.00) for their stay.

But that is not why I say "better than should have been expected." Yeah, we were a significant group but in the total scheme of things since our our stay coincided with one of the main tourist events in Lodi, the Zinfandel Festival, you would have thought we would be lucky to even be noticed. Instead we were treated as special guests throughout our three night stay.

The hotel was fully booked both in rooms and restaurants for the weekend. There was a lot going on; Zin Festival, baby showers, graduation dinners. The hotel had expanded since we were there in 2005. They had added an additional 30 or so rooms, some of which were set up for extended stay complete with kitchenettes. They had added a pool, jacuzzi and weight room. They had moved the registration area to the building that houses the Lodi Wine & Visitor Center so they could expand the restaurant.

The restaurant has continued to receive rave reviews as one of the finest in the area. Having it on-site at the hotel makes it extra special. A group of ten of us enjoyed dinner there Sunday night even setting it up in a private room.

The hotel rooms were as spacious as I remembered them. Each of the rooms in the two story buildings have either a large balcony or a large patio complete with teak furniture. The room itself is large with a W&R's version of a heavenly bed, convenient coffee area and refrigerator. The bathroom has a separate toilet room, a soaking tub and tile floors.

But those are not the features I remember most about W&R. What I remember most is Kim tickling the ivories at piano bar in the lobby. The excellent service from Amber, a bartender who has been there six years. The casualness of Russ, the owner, who wanders around as if he is a guest making sure everyone is taken care of. He was even sitting on the couch one evening as it approached midnight, joining in a rendition of "Happy Birthday" when Amber informed us it was Kim's birthday

In fairness there are not a lot of luxury accommodations in the Lodi/Stockton area. In that regard W&R has a monopoly. Maybe they shouldn't try so hard. But Russ wouldn't have it any other way. From the rooms to the amenities (pool, jacuzzi, exercise room) to the on-site restaurant to the spa, W&R just keeps getting better.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Reviewed March 20, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. The prior time, about a year ago, I was in the older, historic B&B section of the facility. That room was down the hall from the bar, and while nice and had been updated a lot, clearly was not a 5 star stay. I had no trouble with noise (this is a pretty sedate bar), but the layout was dated.

This time, I was in a section of the property that was brand new, containing not only a series of new buildings with rooms, but also a new pool & patio area and the work out facility. All were quite nice.

The room (one king) was pretty large, and had a nice little patio outside. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows weren't my favorite (I tend to like flatter ones, personally). There is a nice new flat screen HD TV, a mini bar and the usual amenities. My complaint was that I could hear the person above me walking around, and opening and closing drawers at night. So either I am particularly sensitive, he/she is particularly loud, or perhaps the sound proofing between floors wasn't quite up to snuff?

I liked the huge bathroom, with its large, well lit, tiled tub and the adequate number of good quality towels. My complaint here (which I understand from the front desk has been made by others, too) was that the lighting in this beautiful bathroom had been designed by someone who has never used a bathroom. There was no (zero, none, zilch) lighting above the sink/mirror, and the general lighting in the room was inadequate so shaving in the dark was the order of the day. There was a light above the (very) small vanity, but it is a pendant light which casts light down, not on either the mirror or the person putting on make-up so it is useless and make-up too is done by guesstimate.

Correct those two nits and the rating goes up a notch.

By the way, I was there for a business meeting which had several meals catered -- I thought that for bulk meals the restaurant staff did a wonderful job. I am not a big fan of the famous rubber chicken luncheon, but mine was very nicely cooked. If you're going to have a buffet, have these folks do it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
MrsS916
Reviewed January 19, 2010

From the moment I stepped on the property, Wine and Roses was an unforgettable experience. Apart from the beautiful grounds, I was greeted at the Front desk with a smile and enthusiasm. The service from check-in to check-out was exceptional. I have stayed at many hotels with my husband in the past, and Wine and Roses ranks at the top of our most memorable trips. Our hotel room, was more luxurious than expected and was extremely comfortable for our 3 night stay. If you are looking for a great romantic getaway, Wine and Roses is the perfect choice.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsS916
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2010

this is the second time I have stayed here (for business both times). the hotel itself is very nice looking. the grounds are lovely and the rooms spacious (the in-room fireplaces are fantastic) but the service in this hotel really leaves something to be desired. Last time, it was neither here nor there (and it should be HERE for the price you pay for this hotel in Lodi) and this time it was pretty dismal. I finally wound up cancelling my room service order for coffee after 45 minutes. and it took me more than half an hr to get a hair dryer delivered to the room (I know the hair dryer thing does not seem like a tragedy or anything but when you get out of the shower and need to get ready for a business meeting and discover there is not a hair dryer in the room....)

Visually, the hotel is lovely, but for the price you pay here, the service should really be alot better. Next time I am in Lodi for business, I will be adventurous enough to try out a new place to stay.

The restaurant is good (fancy though) but quite expensive. if you want a casual dinner with every day comfort food or even just a normal salad, this is not the place to find it. The service is good in the restaurant!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank bonsai35
sunnyvale
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We went for an all girls weekend spa getaway and it was great. We enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean and service was good. The continental breakfast was a nice selection of assorted breads and a bowl of fruit. Just what we needed for breakfast. The spa service was good. Overall, we had a very relaxing weekend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Tampa
Reviewed October 23, 2009

It is a beautiful place in a great location close to all the Lodi wineries and historic downtown. Our room/suite was large with 1 1/4 baths, kitchen, living room and large bedroom plus two patio areas. Even the toiletries the hotel provded were Aveda! We also visited the spa for massages: great experience all around, such a beautiful atmosphere. The restaurant is also worth trying - super friendly service and top notch food, even for the most discerning of diners. We were very pleasantly surprised by Wine and Roses and would definitely return for another visit!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I have stayed at the hotel several times before when in town for business. I wanted my husband to visit the hotel and the town so I planned a combination leisure/business stay. Since I was there last, W&R had made some noticable changes that were not as appealing to me. The main lobby area no longer receives guests for checkin, which is understandable, as the area was tight. However, a warm "California casual" look was transformed into a "city chic" lobby area lacking in the ambience of the prior area. An easy-to-access continental buffet breakfast was eliminated and transformed into a more formal affair. The continental now includes juice, a bowl of fruit and some pastries. My first bown of fruit served was mostly a soggy mix of tiny watermelon pieces. The blueberry muffins tasted like they had been rewarmed several times. Item priviously offered, such has homemade granola, were now offered ala carte at hefty prices. W&R offered oatmeal, if I recall correctly, at about $9.00 per bowl, which is ridiculous. They would be better off raising the room price a few dollars and discontinuing such practices that are better left for big city venues. I live in a big city and get plenty of this. The housekeeping was not consistent. We had to call for certain towels, tissue, etc. They need a check list to make sure they are servicing the rooms consistently.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank RealityCcheck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lodi
Hampton Inn & Suites Lodi
Holiday Inn Express Lodi
Days Inn & Suites Lodi
Best Western I-5 Inn & Suites
University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
Motel 6 Lodi
Motel 6 Lodi
#6 of 13 in Lodi

Been to Wine & Roses Hotel? Share your experiences!