“Place looks beautiful, service is terrible.”
Review of Wine & Roses Hotel

Wine & Roses Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Lodi
Ridgecrest, California
“Place looks beautiful, service is terrible.”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Went here for my son's wedding. Things started going wrong right from the beginning. Welcome bags were not in rooms at check-in and were not handed to family and friends until after many phone calls. One couple was asked to leave after the first night even though they had made reservations many months in advance. Hotel told them they were not booked for the second night. Food at the restaurant was terrible and way over-priced. During reception, had to hunt down a waiter to get wine for the newlyweds. The hotel "misplaced" the newlywed's belongings from the reception for about 3 hours and after repeated phone calls. Front desk screwed up the bill for the newlyweds. They had to wait for the manager to come in to get it straightened out even though they were scheduled at a brunch. My other son had to wait 30-45 minutes to get a room key that I left at the front desk for him. They couldn't figure out who he was even though he had the same last name as the groom.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank sandybeach4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Galt, California
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The grounds are very nice. However, the staff at wine and roses seemed not know exactly what they are doing.

For wedding: Informed Charina that my fiancee and I wanted to do venue tasting when we signed the contract. She confirmed that it was ok for that day and it would cost $100 for four people. We ate at the restaurant and the chief prepared many different kinds of foods. After we were billed for more then $100 and then told that the menu tasting at the restaurant is not the food that they will be serving and its a different menu not through the restaurant. I asked if it was ok that the overage was credited for my wedding since there was a misunderstanding. ( their error) They said no. I let that go. we made our deposit and most of our billing was paid and I get a call saying we didnt pay. I called and left a message. No response for two days. Emailed Julie no response for a week. Finally I get to talk to charina. She didnt say they made an error but just said we were paid almost in full. I asked if there were certain individuals responsible for certain things since information never the same when I ask more then one person. She got upset and said they all can help me. Ok Fine. I receive an email regarding my cake tasting a month prior. Then I get a message 2- 3 weeks later saying they can not do the cake tasting that day because they are over booked. They wanted to change it however, my fiancee took leave for that specific week. Then they said we will just give you a "box" cake so you can try the cake later after we meet for another appointment. Then, my fiancee calls and asked them why they are trying to change the date for the cake testing... and they say oh.. the holiday messed up the scheduling. (Memorial day weekend). However, our cake testing was for May 23. Not a holiday. Then I get a letter in the mail indicating that they are increasing their food pricing. This has been such a horrible experience. Also, when I talk to a representative, its as if they are doing ME a favor and I should just accept what I can get. I am so disappointed in the service. I cant believe a business is running this way. I want to have a enjoyable experience but its not happening. So, I'm posting this for other couples so they will know exactly how the service is. Such a headache.. and stressful. I regret not going through Ryde Hotel. They were so nice and they paid for our food tasting!!! The food at Ryde Hotel was excellent and had excellent service.. they cared.

I will be posting more later... as I still have to meet with a representative at Wine and Roses (Lodi, CA) to taste the food. I wish I could back out the contract but I cant. I hope this is helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank Chestermarie
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 8, 2011

"A Hidden Jewel!" We were here for a beautiful Wedding! We stayed 3
Nights in the Vintner Suite, which was very comfortable, spacious and
enjoyable! The jacuzzi tub and shower was amazing! The 2 patios opened on to the gorgeous grounds where the Wedding was! The restaurant was great. The owner even talked with us about our service!
Only one caution! The Macay birds on the grounds have been known to warn the Wedding Couple "Don't do it!"

• Stayed April 2011
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed January 10, 2011

My wife and I treated ourselves to a couples massage, as we do every couple of months.

From the exterior the place is warm and inviting. However, once we checked in it went to Hell in a hand basket.

To begin with, while I was the only person in the men's locker room, my wife found herself between three other women trying to get into side by side very small lockers. It was four women sharing a space of about three feet. Considering the price we were paying, being made to feel as if she were back in a high school gym class was not what we were expecting.

Onto the massage room... It was cold. Very cold and there were no space heaters. Furthermore the oil that was used on us was not warmed up at all and it served to make us both even more cold than we would otherwise have been.

As for the massages themselves, both of us looked at each other in disbelief after the masseuse's finished and left the room having just endured the worst massages either one of us has ever gotten. When we scheduled the appointment we emphasized that we wanted firm massages to get the knots out of our backs. We were assured that our requests would be met. Instead we got two masseuse's who applied at best light pressure and when we requested that they apply more pressure we were told that what they were doing was as much pressure as they would apply unless we paid for deep tissue massages. As I said, we have both received many massages in the past and we know the difference between firm and deep tissue massages. Bottom line, I have serious doubts as to whether or not our masseuses have even received proper training. We have gotten better massages, by far, at Massage Envy for crying out loud.

When we left there was none of the afterglow and relaxing feel that comes after even a mediocre massage. In fact, between the time we got dressed and walked to the car, neither one us even felt like we got massages. We did however both feel that we had been ripped off.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Cubby1102
Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Wont be going anymore after our last stay. The least communicative management and customer service we've seen in a long time. Great waiters. But everything else above is now oblivious to what made W&Roses great.

We used to stay every year at W&Roses for my birthday and a weekend of sandhill crane and tundra swan watching. I had my fiftieth birthday party there. But things seem to have changed over the last five years. Each year we go the hotel seems less charming, less service-oriented, and less quality. We once reveled in hot breakfasts with scrumptious food. Now you get granola and milk. Just like the Holiday Inn down the street. Once they had a fabulous piano player named Rudi. Now they have a christmas tree. It used to be Four Seasons. Now it's an expensive Motel 6.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashok K
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Booked rooms for my daughters wedding. Rooms not ready when we arrived. My daughters room had trash & beds not made. I was promised my room three times before I finally got it. Then it was in the older section above the bar so the noise was unbearable. My mother had a handicap room which was a joke. She is in a wheelchair & walker. I couldn't give her a shower as there were handicap bars but a tub!! The bed was so high she could even get into it. She had to sleep in a chair all night. Then the complimentary breakfast started an hour later then their key holder stated so we missed it. Called and left 2 messages for the director of hotel rooms with no call back.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank danny3088
Fresno, Ca
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We just had our annual Girlfriend Getaway at Wine & Roses. This was our first visit and all four of us loved it! Our room was clean and updated, overlooking beatiful gardens. We enjoyed a spa afternoon with wonderful treatments for each of us. The on-site restaurant was very good, but a little pricey for Lodi. We also enjoyed several local wines in their tasting room, then got great advice on wine tasting in the area. What impressed us all was that we met so many employees who have worked there for many years, and everyone was extrememly friendly and accomodating. There were several garden weddings this weekend with receptions, but we still managed to have a peacful and relaxing weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank iwannag0there
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lodi
Hampton Inn & Suites Lodi
Holiday Inn Express Lodi
Days Inn & Suites Lodi
Best Western I-5 Inn & Suites
University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
Motel 6 Lodi
Motel 6 Lodi
#5 of 13 in Lodi

Been to Wine & Roses Hotel? Share your experiences!