“Amazing place...”

Southern California Soaring Academy
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Llano
More attraction details
Owner description: Southern California Soaring Academy is the premier provider of exhilarating glider rides in Los Angeles. We are surrounded by outstanding soaring conditions and stunning scenery. Visit us in scenic Antelope Valley, just over 1 hour driving time from downtown L.A., where nearly every day is flyable. Come for a ride and bring a friend. It’s an adventure of a lifetime, something you will be talking about for years to come. Open Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon, 9 AM to Sunset. Call or e-mail for reservations.
Pullman, Washington
“Amazing place...”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I'm a glider pilot from Washington state, but occasionally I travel to southern California. I always make sure I have time for a visit to Crystalaire, and book a long flight in one of their excellent DG 1000s dual seat gliders. Since I'm a rated glider pilot, they let me fly the glider the whole time, but I fly with one of their flight instructors. The staff is excellent, friendly and pretty laid back, Heck, this is Califorinia :) I usually get there in the winter time, and take time to brush my skills in the preparation for the spring flying. Once, I got there at the end of September and had a blast... Nice puffy clouds, I got up to about 12500 feet, very nice view. The gliders are top notch, DG 1000s are awesome. Even if the location and the weather conditions would be bad, flying the DG 1000s alone, would make up for it. Even the prices are fair. I recommend this place for both (glider) pilots or anyone else interested in to experience soaring. This is as good as it gets.

Beverly Hills, California
“Amazing and Beautiful way to enjoy an afternoon!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

If you wish to have an Amazing and Beautiful way to enjoy any afternoon, visit the Soaring Academy and ride in a sailplane, soaring over the majestic Southern California mountain range!
Steve T

“Fantastic experience!!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I wanted a romantic surprise for valentines day. I have knowb about this place for years but finally decided to make it happen. I got a 40 min. couples ride in a glider. What a blast. Our pilot, Dale, was lots of fun. He has over 34 years experience and it showed! It was much more exciting and fun than I had imagined. This makes a great experience for anyone looking for something different. Come out and give it a try!

Santa Clarita, California
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Decided on a whim to do something fun and exciting. I got the thrill of a lifetime. Nothing beats the feel of soaring quietly through the air like a bird over the San Gabrielle mountains. What a view, what an adventure and I couldn't imagine a better group of people to do it with than the pilots and crew of this place. They make you feel welcome and involved in the flight not like an outsider to be dealt with. I can't wait to do it again!!!

Visited January 2014
Santa Clarita, California
“Soaring to new heights!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a must do if flying is on your bucket list! I have flown in all types of motor planes from two seaters to 747's but soaring really gives you the "feel" of flying like the birds. The staff at So CA Soaring Academy were delightful and very well organized. My flight time was 3pm and they were ready with my pilot and flight crew on my arrival. The crew was helpful and patient as all was set up and my pilot Adrian was the best! He explained all the steps as he did the preflight checks and got me situated in the glider. He gave me the front seat as it "had the best view." This meant that I also had certain controls he did not have in the back seat....such as the yellow one that disengaged the tether! How cool I got to take care of that little job.

The tow plane was timely and before long we were up, up and away. Again, Adrian was an experienced pilot who new when to talk and when to just let the experience sink in. I was impressed with his Air Force credentials and that he was also a flying instructor. Having some flying experience years ago, he sensed I would be open to riding the unusual updraft wave that had us climbing to 9000ft in less than a minute! Then (with my permission) he put the glider through its paces and even let me try my hand at the stick. Wow, what a GREAT Christmas present from my hubby!! Shows how well he knows me...that this is an experience I would not only enjoy but look forward to doing again.

I can highly recommend this Soaring Academy for their professionalism, staff training, condition of equipment and personal touch...all VERY important when doing flying of any kind.
Cost, according to hubby was very reasonable and location an easy 40-50 minute drive from the Santa Clarita Valley.
Try Soaring.....you'll LOVE it!!

Visited December 2013