“Service Needs Work!”

The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa
San Leandro, California
“Service Needs Work!”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This Inn is not living up to its beautiful surroundings. My wife and I decided to stay here after our wedding at one of the local wineries.

It was a very hot day and after we checked in and got to our room we realized that there was no air conditioning. We looked for a temperature control in the room and there was none! We figured that the inn did not have air conditioning (hard to believe for Livermore). We almost suffocated overnight.

The next morning, when we made a comment about how hot it was in our room, we were told that there was air conditioning but that it was "centrally" controlled by the the inn's staff. The person that checked us in had simply forgotten to turn it on! And they would not even give us a discount for the inconvenience.

Other downers: the pool was dirty and freezing and the water in the adjacent hot tub was not hot at all. To be fair, the breakfast in the morning was good. That's about it.

Needless to say, we are not staying here again.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travelman66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Morgan Hill, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2008

My wife and I booked the Morning Dove Room (the best Purple Orchid Inn suite) for our anniversary. Overall, we were disappointed and it was mostly due to the extravagant price and lack of cleanliness of the in the room. I have paid in excess of $500 for different bed and breakfasts but at $420, the Purple Orchid Inn Suite did not meet my standards nor expectations.

The room was fairly large with cathedral ceilings although the decor lacked the intricacies and mystique that I have experienced in less expensive bed and breakfasts.

The breakfast could have been purchased at the nearest McDonald's and I was not impressed.

I had to kill several insects in the room and my daughter woke up with an insect bite on her neck in the morning. Many dead insects were scattered about the room in the window sills and the corners of the room.

On the positive side, the staff was cordial and prompt when we had to call the front desk for things we should have had in the room in the first place.

I would consider staying there again but it would be in the least expensive room. The grounds of the Purple Orchid Inn are well maintained and the flower gardens and olive orchards are beautiful. The pool and jacuzzi were very refreshing.

If you decide to stay there for a honeymoon or anniversary, negotiate the price of the suites down to about $250 (for the suite). If they won't budge on the price, stay somewhere else and come out to the Inn to take pictures.

• Liked — The grounds of the inn
  • Disliked — The cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JoeandKaren19
san ramon
Reviewed May 23, 2008

My fiancé and I reserved this inn for our entire wedding party for our wedding in September back in early January. We gave them a deposit check of 50% of the total cost for 10 rooms for 2 nights and they cashed our check 2 days later. 5 months later after all our planning is almost done and almost every room in the area booked, the owner left me a voicemail bluntly asking for a confirmation of my address so that he could return my deposit check to me. He gave a short explanation saying they “messed up” and booked another wedding that same weekend. Not only did he never apologize or offer us any solution or compromise, when I called him back and asked him to be empathetic because it is my wedding his exact response was “it’s everyone’s wedding” with a nasty, indifferent attitude. Let me reiterate this is the OWNER speaker to me. How do you run and operate a bed & breakfast and have absolutely NO regard for your customers? How do you book two weddings on the same weekend and not know it for 5 plus months. This is obviously a clear representation of BAD management. In addition, the way in which they handled the situation after discovering their mistake was truly appalling. This man clearly has no knowledge of customer service what so ever and should not have the privilege of owning and operating a business.

The sad thing is that I had read bad reviews myself about this inn but ignored them because he is lucky (and his business is only luck & location) that he owns one of only 2 B&B’s in Livermore. But trust me in saying this man does NOT deserve our business!! Please stay away from this inn and hopefully he will have to sell.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JulieWatts
San Mateo CA
Reviewed April 8, 2008

First, be aware that this place is rated #1 B&B in Livermore because it is the ONLY B&B in Livermore. I never actually got to stay here, although I gave it my best shot. I thought I was making a reservation on line 4 days before the weekend I wanted to stay. The website checked availability, took my credit card info, and thanked me. Two days later I got an acknowledgment of my "reservation request". Moments after that I got an email that the room, for which they had checked availability and taken my credit card info, had already been rented out for the nights I wanted. When I tried to call, now at 6:00 PM two days before my scheduled arrival, I got no answer -- no answer to repeated attempts over the next 3 hours. The next morning, now the day before my trip, I got through, finally to a desk clerk. I was basically told tough luck. While they had other rooms that met my needs, they were more expensive and they were not willing to honor my original reservation and give me a room at the price I thought I had booked. The manager was not available and never responded to my numerous emails and voicemails. These people do not know how to run a business. I took mine elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chooglin
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed December 19, 2007

We did an overnight here to stay close to the Livermore wineries and for that, it is the perfect location. To be honest, there really aren't many accommodations available in the immediate area, this one is the closest to the wineries, and is probably a bit homier than your Courtyard or Hilton.
We chose the Grand Champion room since it looked to be decorated more simply than the others (we are not fans of floral or lace decorations that are typical at most B&Bs) and the room met our expectations. It had a gas fireplace, simple decorations, a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. The tub was quite nice, and they provide bubble bath. Two people fit in it, but only sitting upright.
We were the only guests the night we stayed there so we were brought our complimentary wine and cheese right to our room, how nice!
The bed was comfortable, the guestbook amusing, and we did not see any of the uncleanliness that other reviewers have mentioned.
The next morning, breakfast was omelettes, hashbrowns, bacon, fruit, buttered toast, and juice, absolutely no complaints here! They made breakfast for us right when we came down, and let us sit and talk to each other.

All in all, it might be a bit expensive ($165 for off-season, but no taxes, etc. that we could see!), but it was quite relaxing.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
arizona
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this B&B one night before arriving at our final destination in the Bay Area. After reading the reviews on this website, looking at the B&B website, and reading about it in the "Select Registry" book, we were disappointed. We have stayed in several Select Registry B&B's in the past and they are PRISTINE, not so this place. To be fair, I don't know if they are still members of Select Registry, but my husband said the sign is still posted on the front door, so I have to presume they are.

We stayed in the Wilderness Retreat room which supposedly has a view of Poppy Ridge Golf Course (maybe with binoculars). The room was nice enough, a nice size, and separate from the other rooms, but it could use a serious deep cleaning, including the windows and baseboards. The carpet in this room was filthy, it looked like someone had a party and got sick afterwards and didn't clean their mess. The lamp on the night stand had a broken neck (where the light bulb goes). Looks like the housekeeping staff missed seeing the big, dark splotches on the carpet. Speaking of the housekeeping staff, did I mention that they miss seeing things? The housekeeper(s) that cleaned the room prior to us arriving may have overlooked sweeping and mopping the bathroom floor after the previous guests left as I spotted dust bunnies and bobby pins on the bathroom floor. Also, there was some sort of sticky stubstance on the bathroom floor which our slippers stuck to! With all this said, we didn't see any of the other rooms so we cannot comment on them, we can only comment on the room we were in.

The "gourmet" breakfast that was advertised on the website was actually pretty basic, just like what I make at home - eggs, sausage, and toast. Coffee was served from a decanter and lukewarm.

On the positive side the room was quiet, staff was nice, the grounds are pretty, although you don't see or capture the beauty of the surrounding vineyards in November. The wine and cheese in the afternoon was a nice appetizer before dinner.

We are picky people and our likes are different from those of others; don't let our review scare you away from this place. It is a nice place; I will give them the benefit of the doubt by saying they may have been short staffed during the time we stayed there.

If you do decide to stay at this B&B take the time to visit the wineries in the Livermore Valley, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Wine and cheese in the afternoon
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank out-of-here-arizona
California
Reviewed July 18, 2006

We stayed in the most expensive suite (the Morning Dove) and I felt that at $360.00 per night, they could have removed the previous guests dirty dishes from the microwave and vacuumed up the dead bugs that littered every windowsill. For that kind on money, I expected the dishes in the cabinet to have been cleared sometime in the not so distant past and where there website claims that you can raid the stocked fridge if you get the late night munchies....it was water and soda....nothing else. It is out in the middle of nowhere, no stores, no restaurants, so bring the munchies you want because they are not available at the inn.

On the plus side....the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and the peace and tranquility was exceptionally restful.

We also found out that it is under new ownership, which may have had something to do with the cleanliness (or lack there of).

• Liked — The bed - very comfortable
  • Disliked — The dirty dishes left from the previous guests
  • Tips/Secrets — You can do better for the price
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abovestandardtravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livermore
Hilton Garden Inn Livermore
The Rose Hotel
The Rose Hotel
#3 of 14 in Pleasanton
Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn

Been to The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa? Share your experiences!