“Fabulous peaceful retreat in Wine Country with great pool & breakfast”

The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is the best place to stay in Livermore Valley. It is under new management and now it is even better than before. Still a fabulous retreat with fantastic pool and such a peaceful garden around it, but all is upped a notch. The rooms are redone and service is really great (wine & cheese event goes on forever, served my wife some lunch when she asked while there is no lunch service, etc.). So relaxing!

• Stayed: April 2012
20  Thank Cees129

Reviewed December 12, 2011

There are new owners at the Purple Orchid took over and really made phenomenal improvements to every aspect of the property from the landscaping, decor, and rooms, to the way clients are treated with the utmost respect.

My colleagues and I had a weekend trip there and we will never forget it! It was so much fun! The place is gorgeous. Please, keep in mind that many of the reviews below are written when the PREVIOUS management was still in charge. Check this place out, for sure!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
18  Thank KellenK
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We went in August of this year, and the new owners cleaned the place top to bottom and are getting a fresh start. They are really nice people. The breakfasts were good and the property is beautiful. The rooms were quiet and comfortable. I would highly recommend this B & B!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
17  Thank Dogtraveller11
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have had a couple of experiences with the Purple Orchid Inn. A few years back, my work had an offsite luncheon and all day meeting there in one of their isolated conference rooms. The food was good, the service was decent, but the place was filthy! From mold, ants and spiders in the bathroom, to dirty walls and floors. We were all very disappointed in how filthy the entire place was. Except, on the patio around the pool. The landscaping outside was quite nice.

More recently (May 2011) my husband and I celebrated our anniversary there. We stayed in one of the cottages and bought the spa massage package. Once again, the place was filthy. We found a blood stain on the ottoman in our suite, which completely turned us off. The bathroom had mold and dirt in it. The suite had a very unpleasant odor like perhaps the carpets and bedding had not been cleaned in a long time. In addition, the fireplace was broken, the shutters in the bathroom were broken so we could not open them for light. The cottages/suites are in BIG NEED of renovation. They forgot our wine all together and when we went for the wine and cheese hour, they actually served soft velveta slices with cheap wine! The massages were "okay" nothing special. The landscaping is still beautiful. If only they would take half the effort and apply it to the inside:(

Also, while we were eating our couples lunch (as part of the package), the owner sat in the dining hall with us and talked on his cell phone, and with his staff LOUDLY the entire time.

All in all we will never be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
20  Thank lovemyboys1972
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Because of what I had seen on "In Wine Country" and gleened from their web site, I did not look into tripAdvisor before booking our stay. I probably would not have booked our stay as many of the comments written were similar to what we had experienced. The garden and outside area are beautiful, Suzanne (the Inn Keeper) was delightful, the breakfast was hearty, but.....the rooms definitely need updating: hot and cold water were switched in the sink and shower; no hairdrier provided; towels, linens and bed coverings definitely needed to be updated; 17" TV...pretty small. I would suggest that the owners of the Purple Orchid take a trip to the Napa or Sonoma Wine Country to see what a "real" wine country experience should include. We were glad that we had chosen a room that was only $150 a night. I can only imagine our dismay if we had stayed in one that was $210. We did peek in on a few other rooms which were similar in decor to ours. Oh, and no air conditioning. We were glad it was only May. A ceiling fan would have been nice.

Room Tip: Wait until they update.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank freedmail
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We recently had our wedding there and the grounds were awesome, along with the Wedding Staff. I had booked the place out almost a year and half ago and all my dreams came true. The Owners & Management Staff helped guide through the rental companies and we finally selected chivari chairs and dance floor from Classic Rentals. Our caterer Bon Vivant & Kim were just wonderful. My mother-in law had booked the place on Friday night and we had a wonderful BBQ on Friday night. The owners allowed us to have our party start on Friday night where we had a small gathering of friends and family. On Saturday, we had booked 5 facials for my sister and her friends and they had a blast. We were served mimosa’s along with our treatments!

Thank you Purple Orchid! You are a true gem!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Itgirl_17
Reviewed November 21, 2010

When I think B&B, I think relaxation.

well... that wasn't to be had here. Unfortunately (for us) we showed up on a Sunday when they received an unexpected bridal shower lunch. I really felt for the staff who had to deal with this large group while being unprepared. However, what was not acceptable was the stress that was transferred to us (and I have thick skin). Our stay came with a lunch, and after waiting for 45 minutes, we finally gave up and decided to go somewhere else to eat. I approached the lady running the show who said: "I don't have time for you" while running out. ok then....

The room itself tries to be luxurious, but fails. We had the upgraded suite. No robes, no wine glasses, a phone that I can't even figure out how to call the front desk (and I'm in high tech -- and, no, zero or nine didn't do it). No towel holder anywhere near the sink... but it was large. While touring the room, the great olive trees were pointed out to us right outside our window. Really nice, if you can ignore the empty bottles of coke and other various pieces of trash all over the grounds. Actually nicer to close the shades... and speaking of, I hope light doesn't bother when you sleep if you stay there. Those shades didn't do much to keep light out.

We had breakfast arranged for 9 am the next morning. It showed up at 9:30 (and there were only two rooms in use that night). It was two plates with scrambled eggs, a small muffin, one sausage and fruit, covered by saran wrap. This caused the fruit to taste like sausage, and the eggs were... bleh! We opted to leave the free breakfast behind and find ourselves a decent breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple