“A truly special place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
U.K
“A truly special place”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Wow...as I write this I wish I was still in my super comfy 4 poster bed with the fire burning in the corner, the ocean view from the window, drinking the wonderful local wine... This was a couples trip and I would say is more suited to couples. This property oozes charm and character throughout, it is tastefully decorated and has a vast and plentiful garden. Ocean can be seen from the property and there is a beautiful secluded cove walking distance. The room was the ultimate in comfort - comfy beds, plush bed linen, fluffy towels, fireplace in the corner, flowers in the room etc. it is a great location for exploring the beautiful Mendocino coast - either right on your doorstep or a short drive to Mendocino town itself. There is a variety of restaurants near the restaurant so you don't need to go to Mendocino but I would recommend a visit as it is another beautiful place to visit! You can get really tasty local wine at reasonable prices at Dennen's and the breakfast is delicious. Jo, Fred, and the rest of the team are always on hand to assist with anything and eager to do so. All in all it was a truly memorable stay and I hope to return one day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Davina P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Carmel, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Where do I begin to share my boyfriends and my Lovely,Delightful,Romantic,Magical moments at this OH so Charming B&B!!! Jo you are Awesome along with Fred for going out of your way to making us feel welcomed before we arrived and then once we did get there, WOW, we were all Smiles from beginning to end. My Wonderful Boyfriend had planned a Special Surprise for me which Jo made sure happened. The hand dipped chocolate strawberries were so Yummy! We also enjoyed the tasty champagne too...... It was so Romantic with the cozy, crackly, warm fire in the coolest freestanding fireplace ever! I Love antique's, so I was in Heaven. We stayed for 3 unforgettable nights in the Tree View room that we both fell in Love with! So quaint, cozy, comfortable with a bed that felt as if you are sleeping on the softest cloud ever! (I got another feather bed for my bed at home after that).. Every morning we in Heaven after Jo made the Best, Delicious, Mouth watering breakfast brought to our room so we could enjoy it by the warm fire my Sweetheart enjoyed lighting and keeping tended to. Jo is a 5 Star Chef and has a Heart of Gold too. Everyone on the staff made sure all our needs & wishes were met. We are planning on our next adventure here again, hope to stay in the same room to enjoy another Memorable, Unforgettable, Romantic getaway in Magical Mendocino!!! The beauty here reminds me so much of another Magical place, (Big Sur) which I Love and so does my Honey. He Loves it in Mendocino more thou, and who knows maybe we might even move here someday!! We want to stay close to the coast and the Majestic Towering Redwoods!!! Heaven on Earth! Again Thank You Jo, Fred, & staff for the Memories..... Most of all I want to Thank my Sweetheart, cause without Him I would not have gotten to experience this Magical Paradise called MENDOCINO!!! Love, Love, Love :-) :-)

Room Tip: The Tree View Room for a Romantic Fun Filled Time!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gypsyhearts
East Bay
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Just spent a beautiful weekend at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse. We stayed in the Mendocino Suite, which was very comfortable, clean, and cozy, yet spacious. The food was absolutely delicious. The property was lovely and was just a short walk down to a private cove/beach, which was absolutely gorgeous. The entire experience was very relaxing and just perfect. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annie1977
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I had a few days off from work and decided to do a little wine tasting in Mendocino County. We had visited Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse a couple years ago during a wine tasting they hosted at their B&B. We booked the Dennen Suite for a very reasonable price directly with the receptionist and everything was terrific. After a nice leisurely day of wine-tasting on highway 128 leading up to highway 1, we enjoyed Dennen's warm reception, service and the comfortable bed. Jo's breakfast (served in bed) was top notch, and a great way to start our day of exploring the North Coast. Ditto on the second evening and morning. Sadly we had to return from paradise back to the big city -- but there is no doubt that we return again soon to the Farmhouse.

Room Tip: Website has great pictures of the rooms and tips of where to go and what to see in the area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TestyTraveler
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dennen's the weekend of March 22. This was our second stay at the B&B, and it was really wonderful. We stayed in the very spacious two room Mendocino suite which had a huge spa tub and a super comfortable king size bed. We loved the tub - haven't had a great bubble bath in a few years. We really like that this B&B brings your breakfast to your room. And of course, the breakfasts were delicious and filling. They even accommodated my husband with his morning Diet Coke! Jo and Fred are gracious innkeepers and you can tell that they work very hard to keep the inn in great shape. A gal named Cathy checked us in and showed us to our room, and she was super nice and helpful too. We really enjoyed our visit and will stay at Dennen's again on our next trip to Mendocino. If you stay here, don't miss the chance to visit the secret ocean cove right down the street. Only the staff can give you directions!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I live in San Francisco and love to go wine tasting in Hopland and then drive to the beautiful coast. We stayed at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse in a gorgeous suite with a super large soaking tub surrounded in bubbles!! Not a noisey jacuzzi tub, but a quiet tub of hot bubbly water!! Wow, a glass of Pinotage and candles and our IPod.......this was heaven! Thank you to Jo and Fred for their wonderful hospitality and knowing exactly what we needed to make our stay one that we will NEVER FORGET!
The breakfast was delicious and fresh and hot served in our room early next morning while we sat in front of window watching the water and smelling the fragrances that are so reminiscent of Mendocino. We are planning on going back again every chance we get.

• Stayed March 2013
Reno, NV, USA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had booked a reservation with Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse to celebrate a belated birthday. My husband & I unfortunately had to cancel & I contacted "Jo" the innkeeper 3 weeks prior. Jo informed me that they would refund my deposit by check less a $25 "processing fee." I was never made aware of such a fee & have never encountered a cancellation/processing fee with any other B&B that we have stayed in, especially when cancelling so far in advance. Jo informed me that it is posted on their website and it is listed that this fee is due to the intimate size of their establishment since cancellations greatly affect their business. I would normally appreciate this fact but that is why I cancelled so far in advance & at the time of cancellation we were the ONLY room booked for the weekend. I could understand if they had to turn away other people because of our reservation but that was not the case. In addition, I have never heard of another establishment refunding your deposit by check instead of putting a credit back on to your card. I had planned on rescheduling our trip at a later time but due to the fee and the attitude of Jo I decided we would never stay at Dennens. Jo mentioned in our conversation that it was too bad we had to cancel because it was a great deal (they were running a special for the whale festival). I sent an email explaining my disappointment and frustration and explained it is not a deal when it ended up costing me for nothing. After receiving my email Jo contacted me by phone I thought to apologize or let me know that she would make an exception & refund my full deposit but instead she simply wanted to reiterate why she was right & I was wrong. Nice way to run a business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rahmefamily
Jo B, Owner at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
This person never had the pleasure of staying with us here at Dennen’s. She had a problem with our policies.

As small business owners we make a business model and than make policies and procedures. We find as we go that there are some that need to be in place for happenings and events that we do not perceive. We take the suggestions from financial advisors, go to classes and learn how to run not only a business, but a bed and breakfast. Our Policies Page is under our reservations button and is listed before “Book Now”. We want you to see the policies before you book…Before you make a verbal or electronic contract with us.

When you call and book with us verbally, we go over all those policies before we ask you for your credit card. The opportunity is there for you not to book if you do not like our cancellation policy, or any of our other policies. This person had that same opportunity, it was all explained.

Processing Fees for Cancellations are a very common practice. Airlines and some lodgings take all your payment up front and then you cannot change your reservation at all. We have tried to be fair, just covering our costs.

Jo Bradley
#2 of 7 in Little River
Stanford Inn by the Sea
Stanford Inn by the Sea
#6 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse? Share your experiences!