“Loved it @ Dennen's in Little River”

Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse
Ranked #5 of 7 Little River B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Loved it @ Dennen's in Little River”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I had a few days off from work and decided to do a little wine tasting in Mendocino County. We had visited Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse a couple years ago during a wine tasting they hosted at their B&B. We booked the Dennen Suite for a very reasonable price directly with the receptionist and everything was terrific. After a nice leisurely day of wine-tasting on highway 128 leading up to highway 1, we enjoyed Dennen's warm reception, service and the comfortable bed. Jo's breakfast (served in bed) was top notch, and a great way to start our day of exploring the North Coast. Ditto on the second evening and morning. Sadly we had to return from paradise back to the big city -- but there is no doubt that we return again soon to the Farmhouse.

Room Tip: Website has great pictures of the rooms and tips of where to go and what to see in the area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TestyTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dennen's the weekend of March 22. This was our second stay at the B&B, and it was really wonderful. We stayed in the very spacious two room Mendocino suite which had a huge spa tub and a super comfortable king size bed. We loved the tub - haven't had a great bubble bath in a few years. We really like that this B&B brings your breakfast to your room. And of course, the breakfasts were delicious and filling. They even accommodated my husband with his morning Diet Coke! Jo and Fred are gracious innkeepers and you can tell that they work very hard to keep the inn in great shape. A gal named Cathy checked us in and showed us to our room, and she was super nice and helpful too. We really enjoyed our visit and will stay at Dennen's again on our next trip to Mendocino. If you stay here, don't miss the chance to visit the secret ocean cove right down the street. Only the staff can give you directions!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I live in San Francisco and love to go wine tasting in Hopland and then drive to the beautiful coast. We stayed at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse in a gorgeous suite with a super large soaking tub surrounded in bubbles!! Not a noisey jacuzzi tub, but a quiet tub of hot bubbly water!! Wow, a glass of Pinotage and candles and our IPod.......this was heaven! Thank you to Jo and Fred for their wonderful hospitality and knowing exactly what we needed to make our stay one that we will NEVER FORGET!
The breakfast was delicious and fresh and hot served in our room early next morning while we sat in front of window watching the water and smelling the fragrances that are so reminiscent of Mendocino. We are planning on going back again every chance we get.

• Stayed March 2013
Reno, NV, USA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had booked a reservation with Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse to celebrate a belated birthday. My husband & I unfortunately had to cancel & I contacted "Jo" the innkeeper 3 weeks prior. Jo informed me that they would refund my deposit by check less a $25 "processing fee." I was never made aware of such a fee & have never encountered a cancellation/processing fee with any other B&B that we have stayed in, especially when cancelling so far in advance. Jo informed me that it is posted on their website and it is listed that this fee is due to the intimate size of their establishment since cancellations greatly affect their business. I would normally appreciate this fact but that is why I cancelled so far in advance & at the time of cancellation we were the ONLY room booked for the weekend. I could understand if they had to turn away other people because of our reservation but that was not the case. In addition, I have never heard of another establishment refunding your deposit by check instead of putting a credit back on to your card. I had planned on rescheduling our trip at a later time but due to the fee and the attitude of Jo I decided we would never stay at Dennens. Jo mentioned in our conversation that it was too bad we had to cancel because it was a great deal (they were running a special for the whale festival). I sent an email explaining my disappointment and frustration and explained it is not a deal when it ended up costing me for nothing. After receiving my email Jo contacted me by phone I thought to apologize or let me know that she would make an exception & refund my full deposit but instead she simply wanted to reiterate why she was right & I was wrong. Nice way to run a business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rahmefamily
Jo B, Owner at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
This person never had the pleasure of staying with us here at Dennen’s. She had a problem with our policies.

As small business owners we make a business model and than make policies and procedures. We find as we go that there are some that need to be in place for happenings and events that we do not perceive. We take the suggestions from financial advisors, go to classes and learn how to run not only a business, but a bed and breakfast. Our Policies Page is under our reservations button and is listed before “Book Now”. We want you to see the policies before you book…Before you make a verbal or electronic contract with us.

When you call and book with us verbally, we go over all those policies before we ask you for your credit card. The opportunity is there for you not to book if you do not like our cancellation policy, or any of our other policies. This person had that same opportunity, it was all explained.

Processing Fees for Cancellations are a very common practice. Airlines and some lodgings take all your payment up front and then you cannot change your reservation at all. We have tried to be fair, just covering our costs.

Jo Bradley
Owner/Innkeeper
Paso Robles Wine Region, California
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is not a review I relish writing, however I feel compelled to present my personal experience with Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse and let the reader judge their ethics and business acumen.
I was planning a combination business/pleasure trip to Northern California in December 2012. The business portion of my trip required that I be in the Napa area on the eve of January 1st, so I booked my two nights there first. I then set out to plan the pleasure portion of the trip to include two nights on the coast, December 30th in the greater Monterey area and December 31st on the Mendocino area coastline. I had already booked the room in Monterey and chose Dennen's Victorian Inn for my December 31st stay. I felt fortunate to find this establishment and booked a room, the Victorian Suite, for which I received a formal written confirmation, #P22140A8533, dated 12/5/12. A short time later I received an e-mail from the Innkeeper at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse acknowledging my reservation and welcoming my upcoming visit. The booking of my entire trip was now complete. Then came the phone call that totally disrupted my plans. On the evening of December 6th, I received a phone call at home from a woman identifying herself as "Jo," the innkeeper at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse. Jo stated that she would not honor my reservation for December 31st and requested that I book elsewhere. I was totally shocked at her attitude toward a reservation that had already been CONFIRMED. Jo went on to say that if I wanted the room, I would have to book a second night, despite the fact that her online reservation system indicated a one night stay was available! Unfortunately, two nights certainly did not fit into my plans, which I tried to explain to her. She refused to acknowledge my dilemma. At this point our conversation was cut off and she quickly re contacted me and resumed telling me that she did not care about my problems and that she was involuntarily cancelling my reservation. At this point I explained to her that I, too, had a lodging business background and was appalled that she would treat a customer in this manner. Believe it or not, with TWO written confirmations and a CONFIRMED credit card deposit, I was a customer. I then related to her the importance of business establishments maintaining positive identities and ethical standards and was very taken back with her reply that if I attempted to review her establishment poorly, she would claim "Extortion." At this point I had enough and hung up the phone. I was then forced to reschedule my two days on the coastline, as I could not find suitable accommodations in the Mendocino area. While I ultimately found another nicer establishment to book on December 31st, it was 150 miles south of where I had wanted to be and it totally turned my desired expectations into a lesser desired experience, though I made the best of it. I have purposely waited to write this review so as not to give in to "Jo's" inference of "extortion." My trip is over and I have nothing to gain, other than to let it be known that ethical business practices mean something to me and to many of the people I used to know when I was in the lodging business. I would like to believe that others feel the same.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
10 Thank TravelinInaDavlin
Anaheim, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My sister and I stayed in the converted chicken coop of the Victorian Farmhouse last year. The entire trip was magical. The food spectacular, the location perfect and the atmosphere to die for! I can't say enough about the people who run the show! Fred and Jo work hard to make every aspect of your stay enjoyable. I recommend this to everyone. Best to take someone other than your sister to a romantic place like this.

Room Tip: The renovated Chicken Coop was fun, cozy and well furnished.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim D
Alamo, California, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights in this beautiful, tranquil spot. If you're looking to escape the rat-race for a couple days, this is the spot. The rooms at the Inn are cozy and comfortable, and the service is spectacular. Its in a great location too, with great hiking or walks on the beach nearby, not to mention its just a couple miles drive from the shops in Mendocino. We've been to many B&Bs and this place truly takes the "breakfast" part seriously. The presentation and quality completely exceeded our expectations. We'll definately be going back to Dennen's Vicotrian Farmhouse next chance we get to escape.

Room Tip: To maximise your enjoyment of this location, ask for a room that has a view of the ocean from the br...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Little River
Stanford Inn by the Sea
Stanford Inn by the Sea
#5 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse? Share your experiences!