“Fun trip, nice accommodations”

Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse
Ranked #5 of 8 Little River B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We recently stayed at Dennen’s Victorian Farm House and had a wonderful time! We were in the Quail Cottage, which provided both comfortable and charming accommodations at a very reasonable rate for the area. The staff were all pleasant and friendly, and the included room service breakfast was the icing on the cake. Add in the view of the Pacific Ocean from the property, and it was truly a one of a kind experience.

In addition to the great experience at Dennen’s itself, Mendocino also offers a variety of delicious restaurants, beautiful scenery and fun activities. The staff was able to provide us with a number of recommendations. Luckily for us, the weather was nice and we were able to rent kayaks and take a boat ride up Big River. An all around fantastic time!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 27, 2012

We were thinking of celebrating in Mendocino CA for our anniversary. I found a few places but fell in love with Dennen's. For some reason I was unable to book it online so called and Jo answered the phone. From that first conversation I knew I would love her B and B. She was so warm and helpful!

We chose the Victorian Suite and we were very happy with it. The 2 rooms were very large as was the bathroom. There was double sinks in the bathroom plus storage space that is rare. We could see the ocean from our room when eating breakfast as the window faced the ocean. Another first for us is that breakfast was served in our room. At other B and B's there was a community breakfast. That was something we thought we would enjoy, the community breakfast but quickly discovered how nice a quiet intimate breakfast could be enjoyed. We leave for work very early and not getting dressed until we felt like it (me, he always was ready) when breakfast arrived at our appointed time of 9:30. That was a real treat. Jo and Fred are perfect hosts and we felt like family staying at their B and B. Jo always had tips of what to see and do, she was a regular Chamber of Commerce of knowledge!

The grounds were beautiful and each room very private. We did have to keep the sitting room drape closed however because the "office" was right next to our window and people looked in so when there were people on the porch (rare!!) we kept the curtain closed.

Jo and Fred were really on top of things for us. Because my husband used to do computer security we were questioning why the wi fi wasn't secure. Due to our concerns that has been changed and it was the next morning. Jo knew I wanted to go whale watching and called every morning to see if a boat was going out for us. The ocean did not cooperate. When we arrived I forgot to mention it was about 7:30 on a Thursday night (we stayed five very short days) Jo called around to find a restaurant that would keep their kitchen open for us. She just couldn't do enough to make us happy and she certainly succeeded.

Mendocino is quite a distance from where we live (So CA) so we may not make it back anytime soon but when we do return, we will be staying here.

The breakfast's were wonderful, tasty filling and I had trouble finishing but so good that I stuffed myself (paying the price now that I am home but so worth it) We were there during the crab festival and Jo and Fred had a wonderful party for not only their guests but anyone who wanted to attend. The appetizers were outstanding. Jo can cook for me anytime:)

Thank you Jo and Fred for making our anniversary so special!

Room Tip: Other than guests occasionally being on the porch we loved the Victorian Suite. It has a wood burnin...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank imfrmars
Reviewed December 10, 2011

No it's not posh, no its not cold and impersonal, or icy and sterile.
Yes, its warm, clean, cozy, romantic, secluded, special, unique and quaint.
We stayed in the Quail Cottage, a private secluded cottage on a small hill behind the twice painted Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse Inn (by Painter Thomas Kincaid).
Homemade hot private and personally nutrition needs/wants based breaksfast served and delivered to our secluded hideway each morning, absolutely scrumptuous!
The bed was Divine and the two decks overlooking redwood trees, and the Pacific Ocean were relaxing and perfect for rainy coastal winter escape respite.
But what truly makes this place shine--it's care takers and owners Jo and Fred.
Jo's friendly spirit is authentic as is her depth of knowledge of the surroundings. Name what you like and she will match you to the right venue--be it a restaurant or in room/cottage massage or even acupuncture!
We stayed here for our honeymoon and we will be back next year on our anniversary. the privacy, the beauty, the sanctuary created here offers us something we look forward to retruning to again and again.
This spot is unique and sacred---I let go of city life easily and felt nurtured and nourished here. We enjoyed romance with ourselves and the divine as nature hugs you here.
Not just another B&B---we highly recommend for writers, those who are in need of R&R and beautiful peaceful surroundings..while on the magical coast of Mendocino....you cant go wrong with a stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Quail Cottage---for spac, full kitchen, shower, bath tub/jacuzzi and two decks outd...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leigh l
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We have been staying at Dennen's once or twice a year for over 5 years now. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. We've stayed in 5 different rooms and all were wonderful. The Mendocinc Suite is our favorite for obvious reasons. We love the jetted tub and having not just one but 2 fireplaces. The beds in each room have been "heavenly" soft and comfortable. The decor in each room is quaint and authentic. Jo and Fred have put a lot of time and effort into making sure the furniture fits the time period of the House's heyday. As for the food- I don't know enough superlatives. We have never had a bad (or even mediocre) breakfast. The menu is imaginative and the fruit is the freshest - no matter what time of year we stay. I love having the food brought to our room. I simply wrap myself in the Inn's comfy robe and enjoy my tea and food in front of the fire. Jo and Fred, the innkeepers, are warm, welcoming and go out of their way to help make each of our stays as fun as the previous. They have a wealth of knowledge about local restaurants and activities. I have looked at the websites of other B & B accomodations in the Mendocino/Fort Bragg area and the first thing I noticed was how reasonable Dennen's rates are compared to some others - especially the "in town" places! We look forward to staying at Dennen's for many more years!

Room Tip: Decide what amenities are most important to you- I like a fireplace, a bathtub and a TV (in that ord...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dana W
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We came to Dennens to spend the final four days of our honeymoon. We stayed in the Quail Cabin which is located by itself on the back of the property. The cabin itself was exactly what the pictures looked like. Loved and made great use of the wood burning stove.

Jo and Fred are two people who you meet and you realize you will never forget. We did not feel like guests for four days, we felt like family. They were attentive to our every need but were basically in the back ground the entire stay. Very non intrusive. They were both extremely helpful with anything we needed, dinner suggestions, sight seeing suggestions, etc.

I haven't even gotten to the best part yet. The breakfast. In one word, it is awesome. Something completely different everyday and equally delicious. After making the reservation, Jo called me and asked about our dietary preferences. Trust me, if there is anything you can't or won't eat, you will not have to. Jo even made us hot chocolate on a cold rainy night.

Let me conclude by saying all I was looking for was a quiet low key spot to hike, sight see, and relax. The farmhouse and Mendocino/Ft. Bragg area exceeded our every expectation. Thank you Jo and Fred for being so caring and making the last days of our honeymoon so memorable. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank whtsox1983
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We ended up staying five lovely nights. Each morning we looked forward to our gourmet breakfast. The innkeeper (Jo) was attentive to our every need. My wife has food allergies as well as being allergic to feather beds. Jo modified our breakfast to accommodate my wife and completely changed out the feather bedding and re-vacuumed the room for us. If you are staying in the Mendocino area, we highly recommend Dennen's Victorian Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JayCarsonCity
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We chose Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse as a place to stay to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Our room (Mendocino Suite) was great! The breakfast in bed was delicious, the service was excellent and the attention to detail was unsurpassed. Jo, our host, could not have been more helpful in offering suggestions about restaurants, sightseeing, etc. We enjoyed everything about our stay and highly recommend Dennen's.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Little River
Cottages at Little River Cove
Cottages at Little River Cove
#3 of 8 in Little River

Been to Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse? Share your experiences!