Heritage House Resort
Little River Inn(Little River)
$205
Inn at Buckhorn Cove(Little River)(Great Value!)
$146
$86
$80
$234
$186
Coast Inn & Spa(Fort Bragg)
$110
$87
All reviewsnext yearrain showerheated floorshuge showeralan aldaocean viewdining roomgas fireplacethe cliffon the rockssoaking tubmendocino coastamazing viewsnew ownersprivate deckcrashing wavescoffee maker
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Throughout the 1970's, I frequented the cocktail lounge at this hotel because several of my friends worked there. I was sad when it closed years ago, but went back there this weekend, and brought along another couple. While there is still construction in the works, our cabin/rooms were super clean, modern, comfortable, sophisticated, and the view was spectacular. We were in "Deerfield".
The staff was unbelievably helpful, prompt, and friendly. We had such a great time. Our friends brought their two old dogs, they loved it as well. (The dogs, I mean.) It was a nice way to show them the Mendocino Coast I've known for many years. Wonderful dining, fantastic galleries, breathtaking views. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Go as soon as you can, this place will fill up when word gets out how wonderful it is. We stayed in the Deerfield section, within yards of the bluff and the ocean. What a view! Whales and waves, birds, and stars at night!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This iconic resort on the dramatic Mendocino County coast in Little River California is quickly reestablishing itself as a 4-Star resort with all the needed amenities like wireless internet, flat screen TVs in every cabin/cottage and a restaurant gaining in quality and performance. The $10 million renovation is rapidly coming online and the results are outstanding. The buildings are spic and span with sleek and attractive interiors. Of course, it has always been the location, apparent isolation and the views that have made this 'Same Time Next Year' resort so special. We were not disappointed. The rooms have been priced to make the resort approachable for both local and distant traveler. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

After following so many posts about the Heritage House over the years, I was so sad to see it close as I had yearned to visit some day. Fast forward to November 2013 when I was searching for news about the resort and came across the September 2013 news post that the Heritage House was OPEN and taking reservations.

At that point, I went into gear and made reservations to get myself up there ASAP. Let me say that it is all that I romanticized about. The stunning cliffs and coastline greeted me each morning after a very comfortable sleep. The rooms are dotted about the huge property and they all have spot-on views.

A walkabout is a must just to breathe in healing fresh air and the smell of healthy aged pine trees. As I wandered about, I thought a lot about the Dennen family - how their hopes and dreams came to fruition with this place. I wish I could have met them as the grace and elegance still abounds here. There is a memorial plaque to the Dennen's that the Dennen children have placed near the gazebo that says "may the sea be your shelter". It made me think of times gone by and how life can race by us if we don't stop and treasure God's beauty in everything. I am grateful to the Dennens for creating this escape for others to share.

We stayed in a Carousel suite and it was warm, cozy, quiet, tranquil and very classic in style. The fireplace could be seen from either side of the suite. There was a seating area complete with a gorgeous sofa and side chairs. The bathroom was very open and featured a lovely stand alone bathtub and tile floors throughout that never seemed cold. The deck went from one end of the suite to the other with two sliding door entries. We loved sitting out on the deck being mesmorized by the ocean the sounds of nature.

Continental breakfast was a nice surprise as it came with the reservation. The granola was delicious and filling but I did try some chocolate chip bread with fresh strawberries and loved it! In the evening, we had the pleasure of dining at the resort. The first night, I wasn't too hungry but the flatbread with olive tapinade was very enticing. They also serve rolls and have a creamy balsamic vinegar that sticks to the bread and makes your mouth water...I'm going to purchase some soon. I had a large arugula salad with candied pecans and my friend had the special swordfish. Both of us were very pleased with our meal and our very kind and sweet waitstaff - 'Tia'. The next night I had the special risotto with local mushrooms. It filled me up but I still indulged in the chocolate mousse. My friend had broiled salmon with mashed potatoes and she was pleased with her selection as well. I could have sat there for hours watching the fireplace.

The folks that work at Heritage House are very welcoming and very knowledgeable about the past years of this landmark resort. Thank you to Joan, Brittany and all the others we interacted with. I hope I will see you again before too long. Keep the Welcome Home mat out for me ;-)

~Nancy

Room Tip: The Carousel suites are exquisite in every way.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ajsnas
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had a delightful 3 night stay at the Heritage House Resort. The scenery from the 37 acres is incredible. The 37 acres is right on the coast. One day while walking we saw whales spouting. We spent happy hour watching the incredible sun sets.

Each cabin reportedly has a view of the ocean. This was certainly true of ours. It seems all "cabins" are being updated. Ours was quite luxurious with a gas fireplace. Even though it was quite cold while we were there it was easy to make our room comfortable.

The staff is great. We had 3 wonderful dinners at the Heritage House restaurant.

The best way to improve our experience would be to make it longer.

1  Thank Duncan P
Reviewed December 18, 2013

It is about half way home to being restored and so good to see what this formerly shuttered property is all about......being one of of the most stunning locations on the California coast. We were headed to Post Ranch, found Heritage House had re-opened and while the architecture isn't Mickey Munning, the views are as amazing, if not more impressive due to proximity to the water. And it's about a 5th of the price and pet friendly. This is a project that deserves support from Bay area travelers this winter...... 37 casually landscaped acres of classic rugged California coastline, dotted with contemporary decor renovated mini 50's-60's California suburban ranch style buildings with 2-5 units in each....30 rooms are currently available at incredible rates.....The coastline is stunning, a large rocky inlet and beach, lawns that taper down to gorgeous cliffwalks and crashing waves - incredible views from the rooms and decks. Restaurant is casual. Cocktails and food are excellent. Staff is happy and friendly. Beds are very comfortable, room design is clean and contemporary, nice fireplaces, large individual room decks. Does it need a little polishing in terms of amenities and service - yes, but with support they will get there. In the meantime - the in room and breakfast room coffee is weak, breakfast is continental only in the lobby (a hike), bring some bottled water for your room....don't think there is room service yet........but we picked up some things at the Harvest Market in Mendocino and enjoyed a great lunch on our deck with our own stunning coastal views. Very close to the town of Mendocino as well. Our dog loved the place too, never been so calm and collected the environment is so mellow.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room at the place, it's all in what you want to budget, the higher you go the closer you get to nirvana and the ocean.
1  Thank MuirBeach