“Fantastic Seafood Restaurant”
Review of Wild Fish

Wild Fish
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 100% Local & Organic The culinary team at Wild Fish procure produce locally from farmers, fishermen & women and foragers - the fish is always wild and fresh. Everything is made from scratch and in house.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Wild Fish was the best restaurant of a 3-day stay in Mendocino. The restaurant is small, so definitely make reservations. The interior is attractive, but feels a little cramped. The wonderful view makes up for it - they're on a bluff overlooking the ocean. They had a good wine list, but to limit my alcohol, I started with their house-made limeade. It was the best limeade I have ever had. My husband and I both ordered fish, which was both very fresh and carefully and imaginatively prepared. The vegetables were as carefully prepared as the fish - every ingredient was prefect. The desserts were well-done, also.
The overall experience was elegant simplicity in both food and ambience - to my taste just perfect for our 30th anniversary.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Made reservations here last week on the last night of a romantic getaway with my husband. I'm glad we made those reservations!! The place is extremely tiny and cramped, but we were given a table with a view of the ocean (rather than the parking lot) so that was great. To quickly sum up our experience at Wild Fish, the food was probably one of the best meals we've EVER had eating out. Everything was so fresh, delectable, and paired well with each other and the recommend wines. My husband and I are not easily wowed by food, but this place made our mouths sing. The service on the other hand was awful. We felt ignored and neglected most of the time, and it took us an HOUR to get our salads, and another 30 minutes to get our entrees!!! By the time we had dessert, we had been cramped at our table for almost two hours. If we have the opportunity to ever go back, we will... for the amazing food, but I hope the service will improve by then. :-/

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This tiny restaurant that shares a building with a historic post office and gas station serves the best wild salmon dinner, and a great view, too! There aren't very many tables, so make sure to make reservations. Their oyster appetizer is fantastic. And if you're a beer lover, they serve Speckled Hen. It's expensive, but worth every penny.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The previous review “Excellent food...spotty service” about sums up our experience. The basic service problem derives from the absence of any apparent organization. When we arrived, only one table was vacant and set. We had a reservation (which it took us three calls to make), and we were right on time, so it wasn't unreasonable of us to assume we should get that table. Instead, we were asked to wait for 10 min, and this is not a large space, so hopefuls are squeezed between the desk, the entrance, and a wine fridge. Not a low trafficked area. Eventually, we were shown to our table, which was of course, the one that had been standing waiting since our arrival. To be clear, my wife and I were at Wild Fish for our anniversary, so speedy service was not what we were looking for. We have actually frequented several prior restaurants in this tiny location behind the Little River Post Office, going back all the way to the 1970's. One of the early ones remains one of our all time favorites, while some others have been easily forgotten. In other words, we came to Wild Fish with some baggage. We've seen good and bad businesses in this location, so we were primed to judge Wild Fish one way or the other. The space itself has an ambience that's always been inviting and romantic. It still by and large is, especially the sunset view, which was perfect on our anniversary. The harsh floors, walls, and ceilings make for abysmal acoustics, though. When we arrived, the place was almost full, and remained so throughout the evening. This led to a painful cacophony that ground us down, and definitely precluded any deep conversation. This tiny 20-seat room badly needs some sound absorbing decor. As others mention, the service is, well "spotty" is the right word. The host, Kelvin, and the staff are very friendly and low key. I'm not one for pretentiousness, and Wild Fish adroitly avoids that trap. As is also mentioned elsewhere, this is rare and very welcome in this area. The bigger problem is that no one is apparently your waiter. Two or three staff roam around offering service wherever it seems to be lacking. This naturally leads to neglect at some times and over attention at others. The host seems to focus on serving wine and adjusting the blinds. The staff are nice and competent, but they badly need some better system. I had the Fanny Bay oysters (excellent!) and the wild halibut (also excellent!). My wife had the Nectarine salad (v. good!), and the Couscous (also v. good!). We shared the creme brulee (superb!), and had a bottle of Navarro Ridge Sauvignon Blanc Cuvee (v. good!). The total bill was about $160 including a solid tip, which was totally reasonable given the quality of the dishes. All-in-all, we had a great dinner on a special occasion, and we weren't easy-to-please drop-ins. We'll definitely return, when a good opportunity arises. All the ingredients of a truly outstanding restaurant are in play at Wild Fish. There just needs to be some fine tuning to the overall experience, especially some sound proofing and a better service system would be top of our priority list.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I want to like Wild Fish, really i do. I think the feeling of it is a breath of fresh air to the Mendocino food scene- which can be a bit stuffy.

First, the good: the ambience and food were excellent. Small dining room- maybe 10 tables- with great views and a sun-filled (on eves when you get those out here) were an intimate treat. I had the halibut which was just scrumptious- perfectly cooked and nice sauce. Rice and veggies were a bit overcooked, but by and large, excellent.

Two small things changed my overall experience and rating:
1- I ordered an expensive wine by the glass ($16) which was a different price on the bill ($17). No big deal- and i asked them to correct it, which they didn't and gave me the total bill anyway. I pointed it out to the host (sweet English chap) and he said that there was a misunderstanding and would correct it. I waited a few minutes, and with no corrected bill, i just left with the host saying 'i owe you a dollar'. Not a big deal, but definitely a sign of poor management when the bill prices do not match the menu prices.

Second small issue- a single piece of bread. It was yummy, and the restaurant was busy, so i felt needlessly sheepish chasing down the waitstaff for another piece (which arrived with my entree). I mean- c'mon $30 entrees and 1 piece of bread? Geeez- make another loaf, right?

As i left, there was a pack of people waiting outside. A new restaurant in town which is already a victim of its own success- i'd recommend getting more help in the day-day running of the restaurant.

My tip: goto the Albion Rover Inn just down the road- same food, similar prices and much better service.

1  Thank TofasTravels