“overpriced and poor service for mediocre place”

Cottages at Little River Cove
Ranked #3 of 8 Little River B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed during the 4th of July long weekend at this place. I have been going to Mendocino for over 8 years now, this place is super pricey for basic amenities.
We arrived on the day of check in at 3.30pm(as the check in was stated as 3.00pm), the room was not cleaned. Cleaners were just walking in. The guy at the front desk was fairly rude and said that the rooms need to be cleaned and we have to wait for an hour. No apology or even a remote sense of professionalism, He was telling us off saying that it was a busy day and the rooms are not ready.
Wonder if the same excuse would apply if I checked out 2 hours late and don't plan on paying for my delay?
Delays happen, the least the hotel is to do is be apologetic, I was ticked off after a long drive with my young child.
Kitchen utensils were not cleaned properly, a lot of the vessels had scrap food...certainly did not appreciate this.
We asked for dishwashing soap at least 4 times in our 3 day stay, it is yet to be provided. We bought our own.

They claim to be "going green" by not doing house cleaning everyday in the hotel room - just imagine how dirty the rooms would get with a beach near by, with young kids and a dog.
Every time I requested their service, the cleaners would change the towels and would not even mop the floor. The floor was filthy with beach sand throughout our stay.
The place seems to be skimping on money and call it as going green

All this would have been tolerated to some extent if the room rate was reasonable.
I paid 290$ per night + 75$ pet fee. The total was about 340$ per night.
I stayed at Hyatt Hotel in Times Square NY last year for the same rates and world class service.
I know Mendocino is expensive, but 340 for such a mediocre place is ridiculous !

Room Tip: Stay at the village for such high rates, it is at least worth your stay. Or stay at Fort Bragg, it i...
2  Thank nithu
KilaProperties, Owner at Cottages at Little River Cove, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Guests who looks through reviews can tell that we take every review seriously because the vast majority of our guests are very happy with our Inn and our service. On the occasion, like a busy holiday weekend, we are given the opportunity to improve on our performance. Anyone who has traveled with small children are ready and anxious to get out of their car and settled. That being said, even 15 minutes can seem like an eternity. We now make sure that we go through every reservation and those with children are cleaned first. As a "Green Leader" we do everything we can to protect our environment and most of our guests approve. In the event that our guests need anything at all or prefer daily housekeeping, all they have to do is let us know and we are happy to provide those services. As much as we are disappointed to get a negative review, we welcome the opportunity to improve. Thank you for your input.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The cottages are as they appear on the website (we stayed in Farallon for 3 days). I think the frequent 5 star ratings are due to people's love of the area or the fact that dogs are allowed, not the cottages as they are not 5 star. Nice\fine but not excellent. We (family of four) were visiting a relative and Ukiah and so added a three day visit to the coast. Being from a beach town near San Diego I'm used to fog and overcast weather in May or June, but I wasn't prepared for 51 degress with dense fog in late July. It seemed like winter while we were there. I knew it was going to be cooler but it was just too cold for me. My guess (and I could be totally wrong) is that many people who stay in this area (Mendocino coast) live inland Norcal where it is 90+ every day in the summer and so come to this area to cool down...only appeal I could see for staying in cold weather in the summer. If these same cottages were same distance from the beach but in Kauai I would give an excellent rating no doubt as I love Hawaii but this area just not my cup of tea.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I recently stayed in the Little River Cottage (Studio cottage with alcove beds, hot tub w/ deck and views, sleeps 6, shower only). I was with my Mister and our two girls (ages 6 and 9). Contrary to another recent review I just read on this place, it was a GEM. Staff was incredibly accommodating and friendly, the cottage was well appointed, as described on their website and very clean. I thought the jar of actual ground coffee and (gasp!) creamer in the fridge was a nice touch. The hot tub was fine - I think the previous reviewer may not understand that some people have allergic reactions to bromine (the chemical that keeps hot tubs safe from icky germs and growth) and the blue light in the tub can make the water look greenish -- totally normal. We enjoyed a sunset from the hot tub and took showers afterwards because my girls and I have sensitive skin. No issues. Dinner was fantastic and quickly delivered via the room service contracted with the Inn next door. I had the salmon with a pine-nut crust and it was delicious! I did not test out the kitchen capabilities, but it appeared to be a fully stocked cottage-size kitchen, clean and functional. The bathroom is small and has only a shower - but it was worth the trade-off for the hot-tub. When I am off adventuring with my family, I like to find places with character and charm. Anyone can stay at a chain hotel. These cottages feel like you are vacationing in a special place that keeps local history alive. Friendly, clean, with character and charm = big win. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked this place as an alternative to our usual VRBO rental on the Mendocino coast. It was myself and my two kids, along with my friend and her daughter. We rented the Little River cottage, which was supposed to be equipped with "all the amenities" we would need on our stay.
Oh. My. God.
The cottage needed renovating - about 10 years ago. Now it is shabby, musty, insect infected and filthy. The paint is peeling from the walls in the bathroom. The kitchen counter is literally a few pieces of formica that have been glued into place...with NOWHERE to cook. There are no bedrooms - it's a "main room" concept with beds built into the walls. The beds are old mattresses that left all of us in pain by the end of the second night. By the end of the week, we needed Motrin just to walk in the morning. There were bugs in the sheets - I think they were either ants or spiders. I think.
The spa on the deck had GREEN water in it when we checked in. When we brought this to the attention of the office manager, she said that they "checked the spa levels each day" and assured us it was fine. The kids got in and they had bumps all over them!! The spa had yellow and orange foam floating in it that is definitely NOT normal. The kids didn't get in again.

Location is lovely, and the grill was a nice addition to the week to avoid cooking in the ridiculously small kitchen. For the price, skip it. Book a VRBO for the same (or a little more) and get a clean, lovely stay in somewhere you're not afraid of getting Hepatitis from the spa.

3  Thank Michela M

Thank-you for taking the time to write about the Little River Cottage, we always appreciate feedback from our guests!
Dear future guests, we let some time pass before responding to this review because we have been trying to reach the reviewer personally. We are confused by the dichotomy of this review and our personal interactions with the guest. Another reason for the delay was the review of the very next guest to stay at Little River Cottage. It would seem that it illustrates the old adage “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”
The moment our guest questioned the condition of the hot tub our engineer responded immediately and re-tested the water. Finding the condition of the water to be clear and sanitary our Innkeeper spoke with the guest and all was fine.
A note about Little River Cottage; built in the 30’s the cottage is a very unique structure with a great-room floor plan and built in beds – the renovations we began early this year have been a lot of fun to do, but they have been primarily of the “white cotton underwear” kind – basic, important but mostly out of sight. We are very excited about getting into the design and acquisition of the cottages’ new, upgraded décor, fixtures, cabinets and furniture.
We’re sorry this guest had such a wildly different experience with us than what our guests are accustomed and we appreciate the feedback as it will only make us better.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The cottages are very clean, and the staff is super nice. We stayed in the Caspar cottage, which was a dog friendly cottage. You would never know that dogs had been there before. No smell or hair anywhere! We had two small dogs with us, and they provided a dog bed, dog towels and two doggie bowls. Very sweet!! They had a very low pet fee of $25/night. Our cottage also had a lovely view, and we booked it because it also had a spa on the back deck. The spa was meticulously clean, and nice and hot. What a great way to end a long day of hiking with the dogs! There were a few negatives about the place to be aware of: 1) This is a family friendly place, which is normally not a negative. But, there were 5 kids staying in the cabin next to ours, and their parents let them run around and scream like wild creatures for hours on the shared lawn next to all the cottages. Not very relaxing for the rest of us. I'm not sure how much the owners/managers could do about this... maybe ask them to tone it down a bit? 2) The spa in the Caspar cottage has a loose jet, which tumbles around and makes a bit of racket. Since it is right outside the sliding glass door next to your bed, it can be annoying. We let management know, and hopefully, it will get fixed. 3) There was a bit of mold around the shower area, which I smelled when entering the bathroom - it took me a while to find it, because it had been painted over. This should probably be remediated to rid the bathroom of the mildew smell. Thankfully, it was not overwhelming, and we shut the bathroom door.

They also provide a booster for your cell phone so you can get service and have a wi-fi service that worked great. They have a small selection of movies for you to borrow, and books to read. These were very nice touches that added a little extra to make your stay more comfortable. Very much appreciated.

This is a great place to stay, and we would go back. Little River is a very quiet place, and after the kids went to bed, it was so relaxing... to hear the ocean and the buoy bells, with the fog rolling in over the ocean.

Room Tip: Caspar cottage has a private spa and an ocean view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My amazing daughter treated me to a weekend at the Mendocino art
s fair & we stayed in the Elk cottage. So nicely appointed with a lovely ocean view and full kitchen. The grounds were awash with lavender & lush plants. Our stay was filled with artistic inspiration & staying in this beautiful setting made it extra special. More than 5 stars!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Two of us just stayed here for 3 nights --- lots of space, outstanding wireless connectivity, and within walking distance of a great trail to the blowhole behind the cemetery. The kitchen had all of the tools to prepare a real meal, and any used the barbecue facilities. Also, we had a wonderful view of the trees and the ocean.
Every time we asked for something, they were immediately responsive.

Room Tip: We were in the Gualala, and it had a particularly good view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
#6 of 25 in Mendocino
Cobbler's Walk Mendocino
Cobbler's Walk Mendocino
#2 of 8 in Little River

Been to Cottages at Little River Cove? Share your experiences!