“HOTEL excellent, casino just OK”

Thunder Valley Casino Resort
Reno, Nevada
“HOTEL excellent, casino just OK”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

It's really a beautiful thing when a hotel staff recognizes the value of the customer and gives them five star service every day. Everyone, from the valet, bellman, hotel desk, housekeeping and room service, gave us a sincere smile and took time to inquire if there was anything they could do for us. The bellman actually asked us if he could get us a bucket of ice or make us some coffee when he brought our luggage to the room.....that is a first for me! The hotel is very new and everything looks and smells new (absolutely no cigarette smell from the casino!). I only have a couple of issues, the check-in time is very late (4pm) and when we arrived our room was not ready (which seems to be a common occurance). We were given a 10% discount for the inconvenience and had to face the casino crowd and noise before we were really ready. They take a $100 deposit against your credit card for incidentals (in addition to regular room charges) then credit it back in a few days, which is something I have experienced at any other hotel. Unless you can take advantage of the midweek $99 per night rates, the room rates are high. I live in Reno and I have put my friends up in a Peppermill Tuscan Suite for far less (and the suite much more luxurious).

Now, the casino part. They have hundreds and hundreds of slot games, and new ones that I had not seen at any other casino property, but the casino floor is VERY crowded and loud. I'm sure you are saying, well it's a casino, what do you expect? But I have a lot of experience in this area, and believe me, it is louder than any other casino I have spent time in. I really liked the smaller, completely enclosed, non smoking area, which I hope they will expand at some point. This is not a luxurious casino with lovely decor. It is all about how many machines and tables can be squeezed into a large open space (a LOT).

We had dinner in the coffee shop. The service was pretty good, but the food was very mediocre.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank smalltowngalReno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying in many hotels. I like to gamble, and they almost always reciprocate w/a free room stay.

Thunder Valley finally opened it's hotel and spa portion this last year, and I must say - it is beautiful!

As you arrive, the valet greets you with a smile, and, they're always polite (even @ 5 am)!

You then enter the lovely lobby, where you check in with the wonderful folks at the desk.

Mind you, you can request the turn-down service when you check in, where you'll be spoiled w/delicious chocolates, slippers, and sometimes they even put rose petals on your bed. (if you need any other beverages, they're all to happy to accommodate those requests as well)

As you head towards the elevator, don't put your room key away - you'll need it to use the elevator.. w/o it, you can't leave the lobby. You'll notice the Asian influence, when you get into the elevator, and look at the floor numbers - you'll notice some are purposely missing.

You enter your room, and are completely blown away by the spaciousness, and plushness of it all. If you get a room w/a king sized bed, you also get a small sitting area, that includes a loveseat, chair and table.

If you get the 2 queen room, the extra space is taken by the 2nd bed, but they still manage to get the extra chair and small table in there.

And, if you're like me, who sometimes has to work on vacation - all the rooms also feature a desk with FREE we-fi! now, that's aweesome!

The beds are comfy, and the Sony dream machines are nice, so you can plug/charge your ipods and iphones.

All rooms have a nice mini bar, that has a small fridge, and Keurig coffee maker, so you don't have to make a pot of coffee for just 1 cup. They have a nice assortment of flavors, and if you have a favorite, you can ask them to leave you a couple more w/the turn-down service.

The bathroom's beautifully decorated w/granite countertops, hairdryer, make-up/vanity area, and lots of and a separate toilet area. The jacuzzi tub is sooo great for those aches and pains, and I really love the shower that lets you set the water temp on the handle - so you won't have to do the wait-for-the-water-to-get-hot dance.

As a tip, if you want the temp to be hotter than the dial seems to let you - it's got a kid-proof button that you push in the middle, that lets you increase the temp past the non-burn setting. You push it in, then move the dial past to the hotter settings.

Did I forget to mention the huge showerhead and perfect pressure? I could wash my hair all day!

Nice flat screen tvs, and thick carpet make this room so nice.

The only problem with the beautiful rooms are the loud wall units that run your heating and cooling needs. For those light sleepers, it might pose a problem, if it runs constantly.

A trip to the spa is first-class, and, if you're from the area, they give locals a 20% discount on reg. priced treatments.

I'd love to give them 5-stars, but despite the fact this is supposed to be non-smoking hotel (you'll find post-it's on your mirror reminding you there's a $250 fine if they find you smoking in your room) - they now allow smoking in the hallway by the elevator, if there's an ashtray present.

This new rule definitely poses a problem for me, as I relish my clean-air, non-smoking room, after sitting in the casino w/all the smokers. The problem w/letting people smoke by the elevators, is the smoke gets so heavy, that I would open my door (at the end of the hallway) - and, it appeared to be foggy out there. Now that's a lot of smoke! It's disgusting, and if the hotel's supposed to be non-smoking, it should be so in all the areas. I don't like smoke wafting into my room, especially if they might impose a fine because they thought I was in there smoking.

Due to this huge annoyance, along w/a couple of times my requests were not ful-filled, I can't, in full conscience, give them the whole 5 stars.. but, 4's really good I think.

All in all, I've had the pleasure of staying in this luxurious place for free - but, for it's amenities and *usually* first class service, I'd gladly pay $99.00.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank hula2u
Sunny California
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Rooms are fresh, clean and well appointed.

Large soaking tub and separate shower. Double sinks and sitting area in bath.

Bed was extremely comfortable with duvet cover and soft sheets.

Quiet and large room with couch. Large flat screen TV.

Hotel stay includes use of Spa--steam room, dry sauna and tranquility room.

Casino has it's own Starbucks.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank roadtripper100
Olympic Penninsula
Reviewed November 8, 2010

One bartender (in the Fallsbar) and the valet service people were very nice and friendly. The rest, at best, were only business-like. One casino employee peed all over the only handicapped toilet seat and didnt even try to clean it up. A dest man never warned me that I needed to insert my room key to make the elevator work. Since I couldnt read the explanatory card from across the elevator, I did not know why it wouldnt work, had to put all my things on the floor to use 2 hands, and road up and down and up again before figuring it out. for someone allergic to onions and garlic the Food Court is dangerous, my eyes were itching before I got near it. The Thunder Cafe is worse. I ordered potato skins with nothing but cheese and bacon and potato--no sauce, onions, sour cream, garnishes, nothing. They came with some kind of small hot green peppers on the plate. Fearing their juice, but too hungry to wait any longer, I started eating from the opposite side of the plate. The waitress came back, asked if anything was wrong, and when I said I wouldnt eat the skins next to the peppers because I was allergic to them, she just grabbed the plate and refused to let me eat anything. She called the manager who came over and acted like it was my fault. The cook came out and said I should have told them I was allergic. I said, if I said I dont want to eat it, that should be enough to keep it off the plate. They blamed me again so I left.
The casino has limited slot machine types. I counted only 3 machines that were not video poker and not the kind that promote free spins rather than credit winnings.
The room had non-opening windows with a vent that blew icy cold air all night. Very unpleasant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank kittravel
San Francisco Ca
Reviewed October 23, 2010

It was funny how we started our stay with my wife saying she will never want to stay at this hotel again to everyone saying we can't wait to come back.

After visiting my in laws in Sacramento, we like to stay somewhere overnight in the area for a little R & R before heading back to the San Francisco Bay Area (last two times we stayed at Cache Creek Hotel Casino Resort). And we were looking forward to trying the spanking new Thunder Valley Hotel Casino Resort.

But when we arrived at 4:30, to our dismay, the room was not ready. Before we had gotten our room as early as 11 O'clock at some hotels. We were told it would be another hour or so. My wife became unglued and paced back and forth mumbling and grumbling. I told her to go to play slot machines and that calmed her down a little bit. After a little more haggling and complaining, we got another 20% off our room rate ($89 to $71) and a late check out without any extra charge.

As soon as we saw our room, our sour mood began to change. The room was beautifully appointed, a spacious 535 sq ft with high ceilings, brand new furnitures, huge bathroom, big tub and shower, large flat screen HD TV, a quiet air conditioning unit, a super comfortable bed and bright lights everywhere. The "Do Not Disturb" sign can be turned on by push of a button on the phone. And everything else was working perfectly.

There are plenty of dining options, from fine dining to buffet to food court. For dinner we ordered to go from Villa Pizza at the food court to enjoy them in our room. It was very good . We paid fast food price and got restaurant food. By this time, the fact that we waited for more than an hour for our room was already distant memory. For lunch the next day, we tried Koi Palace, a high end chinese restaurant that was first established in the SF Bay Area. They have an extensive and impressive menu. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We had 6 potstickers for $7, wonton noodle soup for $9.99 and the lunch special mongolia beef for $8.88.

And we could not ask for a more pleasant, friendly and helpful staff, from the valet, to front desk, casino workers, restaurants servers, all the way down the line. When we called for more towels and paper tissues, they were at the door literally in couple of minutes.

The self park garage is only a short walk to the casino and hotel lobby, so there will no hauling of luggages through long casino floor. If you park your car on higher floor, you will be right next to the elevators. There are huge numbers of slot machines, with many many new ones. And they were not too tight. We didn't use the swimming pool, and it is a pretty good size one. But my wife did use the gym and she said it is a beautiful gym.

So other than we got our room late, we were impressed with all the other aspects of the hotel and casino. The fabulous staff and the gorgeous room have won us over and we will definitely be back. The next visit will be a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank chuckking
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 15, 2010

This is a new hotel. It is attached to a casino. The room was excellent, large, comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom and big screen tv. The staff was very attentive and friendly. I did not go to the casino, but the room was quite and I did not smell any smoke. They had a great steakhouse downstairs. I ate at the bar and had a great meal. I usually don't rate hotels but this was excellent for the price and I enjoyed my stay. It is the best hotel in the Sacramento area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank af3458
Vacaville, California
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The rooms at the new Thunder Valley Resort and Casino are beutiful, modern, yet elegent and extremely comfortable. Bedding is very comfortable. Large bathroom with soaking tub and seperate shower. In room coffee, and refrigerator. Flat screen HDTV with MP3 radio and charger for MP3 devices. Free Wi-Fi. Very impressed with this new hotel and would highly recommend it to adults looking for a nice weekend away. There is also the out-door entertainment venue where we saw Tony Bennett on a beautiful warm evening. Inside the casino there is enough gaming, entertainment and dinning for everyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lincoln
Staybridge Suites Rocklin - Roseville Area
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Sacramento Roseville
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin
TownePlace Suites Sacramento Roseville

Been to Thunder Valley Casino Resort? Share your experiences!