“0 Star Beginning, 5 Stars Ending”

Thunder Valley Casino Resort
Reviewed October 23, 2010

It was funny how we started our stay with my wife saying she will never want to stay at this hotel again to everyone saying we can't wait to come back.

After visiting my in laws in Sacramento, we like to stay somewhere overnight in the area for a little R & R before heading back to the San Francisco Bay Area (last two times we stayed at Cache Creek Hotel Casino Resort). And we were looking forward to trying the spanking new Thunder Valley Hotel Casino Resort.

But when we arrived at 4:30, to our dismay, the room was not ready. Before we had gotten our room as early as 11 O'clock at some hotels. We were told it would be another hour or so. My wife became unglued and paced back and forth mumbling and grumbling. I told her to go to play slot machines and that calmed her down a little bit. After a little more haggling and complaining, we got another 20% off our room rate ($89 to $71) and a late check out without any extra charge.

As soon as we saw our room, our sour mood began to change. The room was beautifully appointed, a spacious 535 sq ft with high ceilings, brand new furnitures, huge bathroom, big tub and shower, large flat screen HD TV, a quiet air conditioning unit, a super comfortable bed and bright lights everywhere. The "Do Not Disturb" sign can be turned on by push of a button on the phone. And everything else was working perfectly.

There are plenty of dining options, from fine dining to buffet to food court. For dinner we ordered to go from Villa Pizza at the food court to enjoy them in our room. It was very good . We paid fast food price and got restaurant food. By this time, the fact that we waited for more than an hour for our room was already distant memory. For lunch the next day, we tried Koi Palace, a high end chinese restaurant that was first established in the SF Bay Area. They have an extensive and impressive menu. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We had 6 potstickers for $7, wonton noodle soup for $9.99 and the lunch special mongolia beef for $8.88.

And we could not ask for a more pleasant, friendly and helpful staff, from the valet, to front desk, casino workers, restaurants servers, all the way down the line. When we called for more towels and paper tissues, they were at the door literally in couple of minutes.

The self park garage is only a short walk to the casino and hotel lobby, so there will no hauling of luggages through long casino floor. If you park your car on higher floor, you will be right next to the elevators. There are huge numbers of slot machines, with many many new ones. And they were not too tight. We didn't use the swimming pool, and it is a pretty good size one. But my wife did use the gym and she said it is a beautiful gym.

So other than we got our room late, we were impressed with all the other aspects of the hotel and casino. The fabulous staff and the gorgeous room have won us over and we will definitely be back. The next visit will be a longer stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chuckking

Reviewed October 15, 2010

This is a new hotel. It is attached to a casino. The room was excellent, large, comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom and big screen tv. The staff was very attentive and friendly. I did not go to the casino, but the room was quite and I did not smell any smoke. They had a great steakhouse downstairs. I ate at the bar and had a great meal. I usually don't rate hotels but this was excellent for the price and I enjoyed my stay. It is the best hotel in the Sacramento area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank af3458
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The rooms at the new Thunder Valley Resort and Casino are beutiful, modern, yet elegent and extremely comfortable. Bedding is very comfortable. Large bathroom with soaking tub and seperate shower. In room coffee, and refrigerator. Flat screen HDTV with MP3 radio and charger for MP3 devices. Free Wi-Fi. Very impressed with this new hotel and would highly recommend it to adults looking for a nice weekend away. There is also the out-door entertainment venue where we saw Tony Bennett on a beautiful warm evening. Inside the casino there is enough gaming, entertainment and dinning for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Overall, this is was a four star stay at Thunder Valley Casino's new hotel, but it wasn't without a few hiccups.

When I made my reservation I asked for a "pool view" and the reservation agent gladly made the note. However, none of the rooms have a pool view. The pool is on the ground floor closer to the casino than to the hotel. My "pool view" turned out to be a nice view of the hotel's air conditioning duct work.

The Housekeeping Staff for this room, 1105, didn't sweat the details before my visit. I found a pair of ice tongs on the floor, just under the bed skirt. Then, later, when I was picking up a newspaper off the floor, I found some small candy balls.

I ordered a movie, Get him to the Greek, and while watching the movie, every so often satellite info tags would appear, distracting from the movie. The hotel does have a nice tv channels available, some hidef. The room had a nice size Panasonic tv that had a variety of inputs if you brought along a portable dvd or could hook your computer to the tv.

The speed of the wired internet was good for a hotel. It is much faster than what the local Marriott's offer. The wireless internet was nearly useless because my Mac did not pick up a strong signal at the work desk. It did pick up a strong signal in the bathroom, but I didn't want to work on my PC in there.

Speaking of which, the tub was very good, the shower, a bit less so because the water temp is capped at 120 degrees, which, to me, is not quite as warm as I like it.

There was no tv in the bathroom like they have at the Venetian/Wynn in Las Vegas.

I didn't have the best night's rest. The mattress was ok, but the pillows were all feather/down, it seemed like. When I return I will have to remember to bring along my contoured pillow.

The workout room is on the 2nd floor, which is kind of like a desert island with minimal signage. You leave the elevators, turn right, go down a corridor, zig right, and the window wall of the fitness room is in front of you. The nearly unmarked door on the left is the entrance, which you need your room key to enter. There are two water fountains and each machine has a towel, with extras easily available. Each of the ellipticals and treadmills have personal tvs, though, the picture quality didn't seem to be DirecTV quality but more like rabbit ears. Also, the ellipticals and treadmills have an ipod cable, so if you have any videos on your ipod, you can watch them on the tv in front of you.Also, insdie the fitness center were two large screen tvs. I could not find the remotes to turn them on. The fitness center is open 24 hours and there is a hotel phone near the entrance.

The hotel charges a resort fee of $15

The elevators require a card key and security was visible and polite.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My partner and I recently stayed at Thunder Valley. We found it by chance, seeing a billboard on the way up to the Sacramento area. The rate was $99.00 for the night and then we also received a 10% discount for AAA. This is a new hotel which opened in July, 2010.
Rooms are spacious with comfortable beds, beautiful bathroom with walk in shower, double sinks, and large soaking tub. King rooms have a couch, coffee table, refrigerator, coffee maker, and large flat screen TV. Everything was very clean and new.
The pool area is exceptional with comfortable lounge chairs, bar and restaurant service. There are also cabanas to rent if you are so inclined.
There are a number of restaurants in the casino area ranging from food court options, to a cafe, a buffet, up to a high end steak house.
We enjoyed ourselves so much that we stayed on for a second night, and will stay there again when we are in the area, and we are not even gamblers!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moonstone07
Reviewed July 24, 2010

.I'm just star ratings was based on the resort and not the casinos or the food. I thought the restaurants were way overpriced for where we were. I chose to eat at Thunder Valley Cafe it was okay food. We tried the Feast Buffet for $10.95 on a Monday I don't feel the taste of the food was not desirable. I think they want to be Vegas but the prices here are bit insane. I think it's odd to check-in the hotel at 4PM especially when the check-out time is at 11AM but we were able to get in earlier around 3PM. I appreciate the hotel lobby is away from the casino area. It has a very modern and wonderful nature design they've incorporated at this hotel. It was beautiful. Out king size bedroom was very impressive. It was new and clean. I think the only thing they need to have is non-smoking floors. Seriously, it's annoying and even my smoker husband doesn't smoke in the room. I heard the hotel just opened in July 2010 and the pool. It's really nice. I went to the spa too. Definitely reserve your rooms online, I called and it's about $10-$20 dollar more. Expect their $10.00 hotel tax and their $15.00 resort fee. It works out for couples that want to use their complimentary spa and the pool (complimentary water - thank goodness.) It's not far from East Bay so it's worth going once and taking the kids it's enjoyable too. It's close to Roseville if you prefer to eat outside of the hotel. I think if they want to be like Vegas make sure all the staff members (not in the shops, spa or restaurants) but just all employees are courteous. You feel more welcome that way too. I heard they're building an area for kids too but I'm not sure when or if that will happen.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pennyagp
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I recently stayed at the Thunder Valley Resort in Lincoln, CA. I was visiting friends in the Sacramento area, and also attending a concert at the amphitheater on the grounds. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted warmly by the valet, who helped us into the hotel. Check in was fast and pretty easy, although guests should be aware that the hotel requires a lofty hold on a credit card of $100 per night-if you plan on staying on the hotel grounds, you can charge various items to your room, including restaurant bills, which makes the hold a bit easier to swallow. I understand that most hotels do require a hold, usually $20-$50 a night max, have never heard of such a high deposit? After getting checked in, we went up to the room, and the first thing I noticed was that there were doorbells for every room! I know that it seems like a silly thing, but it was still pretty cool. The room we booked was a regular room with two queen beds. The room was large, with a huge picture window, would be a nice view if there was anything else around:) The beds were very comfortable, and had alot of pillows, which I love! The bathroom was huge, with a seperate shower and soaking tub. The tub is massive, definitely the best feature of the entire hotel room in my opinion! The shower was also nice, but I found that the shower temperature never got hot enough for my liking. There was also a vanity with a chair, I love this feature, for all the ladies who need that extra space to put on their makeup. The room also has a small mini bar that can be filled with various items, must be purchased from the hotel I believe. They do not allow you to bring in outside food or drinks, but there are 14 restaurants on the grounds, including 24 hour Starbucks and Fatburger. We ate at the Thunder Cafe twice, both meals were great, it is also 24 hours. There is also a steakhouse and chinese restaurant that looked wonderful, but we never got the opportunity to try either, maybe next time! There are so many great things to say about this hotel, I couldnt possibly list them all here!! There were only a couple things that I didnt like, the large hold was one of them, and the last night we stayed, there was some kind of problem with a guest that got sick on an elevator. There was one employee trying to clean up the mess, while a security guard watched her. During the cleanup, there was a crowd starting to develop while waiting for the elevator. Apparently they had to freeze all the elevators so they could clean the dirty one, but neither the guard or the employee notified any of the guests what was going on, so we asked them both if all the elevators were stopped, and the guard told us they were just slow, but all of them showed that they were on the casino level, the doors just remained closed. The employee who was cleaning the mess came out of the elevator and rudely told my sister that she had a "bio" she was cleaning up and that we would all just have to wait. She was the only employee whom we had a problem with the entire stay, all the rest were very friendly and helpful! I work in customer service, and so I can appreciate good service, and in turn I get very upset over bad service. Overall I can say that this hotel was amazing, and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Misty9577
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lincoln
Days Inn Rocklin/Sacramento
Surestay Plus Hotel By Best Western Rocklin
Best Western Roseville Inn
Best Western Roseville Inn
#9 of 18 in Roseville
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
Staybridge Suites Rocklin - Roseville Area

Been to Thunder Valley Casino Resort? Share your experiences!