“Not like the other Indian Resorts”

Thunder Valley Casino Resort
Fairfield
“Not like the other Indian Resorts”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

First class from top to bottom. The front desk clerk was super friendly and helpful. The "basic" room had top of the line finishes and was HUGE! Bathroom had a soaking tub and a shower that could easily accommodate 4 people ( if you're into that sort of thing), it was gorgeous. Super quiet in the room with a very comfortable bed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank FairfieldSkippy2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Wheatland, California
Reviewed January 30, 2014

If you're visiting Sacramento California, Thunder Valley Casino Resort is less than 45 minutes drive from the Sacramento International Airport (just take the back way; Marysville route, R on Riego, L on Industrial then R on Athens Ave). Not everybody knows this route and it's the shortest rather than going downtown Sacramento. You'll be surprise to see and experience a classy Hotel Accommodation the Hotel offers. They have Deluxe Rooms to huge Suite to offer. Since its a Casino, they usually reserve the Big Suites for their top players specially on week-ends but on week-days for minimal price you can request any of the 2 bigger Suites (hopefully none of the 'high rollers' are in the house. The Deluxe rooms are all gorgeous but I suggest the Provence Suite. They are equally stunning to the bigger suites. Just be nice to the Front Desk Staff (as we all should be) since you'll get an impeccable, welcoming and friendly service. Remember that the Hotel Rooms were compared by most of their guests to the Las Vegas Prime Hotels as equal or better. Oh and don't forget to sign up for their Players Card. It doesn't matter how well (or not) you play, you'll be getting great Hotel & Casino Offers in the mail on your next visit.

Room Tip: Always ask for the highest floor. During summer time they have concerts on the outside Arena and it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Alex S
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed January 23, 2014

If you are looking for the ultimate in a luxury hotel, then I would recommend this hotel. The rooms are all small suites with king bed, sofa and work area with free internet. The rooms are very modern, clean and well maintained. The casino is very nice as well. I am not commenting on the casino as I have been to many casinos across the USA and this casino is average. The hotel is great and make sure you ask for a casino rate $90 night! for a mini suite is awesome!

Room Tip: Ask for the casino rate and save money on your room!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tobiz777
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

As a former "jackpot winner," I received an invitation from Thunder Valley for a complimentary room during the weekend of January 18, 2014 and made a reservation a month in advance. Since I wasn't arriving until around 9:00 p.m. on the 18th, I twice called Thunder Valley (at approximately 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.) to confirm my reservation and ensure that my room was not given away. Both times I called I was reassured that the room would continue to be reserved for me and during neither of the calls did anyone ever inform me that my room might or would be given away. Thus, after driving for two plus hours to Lincoln, I arrived at the hotel at approximately 9:00 p.m. and proceeded to the check in counter.

The agent at the desk asked me for my identification and credit card so that she could check me into my room. However, when she pulled up my reservation she immediately returned my ID and credit card to me and stated that the manager needed to speak with me before I could go to my room. She wouldn't inform me what the manager needed to speak with me about and she guaranteed that I did have a room but just had to wait for the manager. After approximately 30 minutes, I still had not been seen by the manager and I went back to the desk and asked again to be checked into my room. The agent said she couldn't do it and only the manager could deal with me. Something began to smell fishy and I explicitly told the agent that if I didn't have a room or something was wrong with the reservation then I wanted to be told that immediately rather than wait any longer in the hotel lobby. She denied that anything was wrong and told me only the manager could deal with me. I then waited another 45 minutes for the manager to finally speak with me.

The manger then told me that the hotel was overbooked and I did not have a room despite my reservation. He had no answer for why I was twice told when I called earlier in the evening that my room would not be given away or why the hotel would give away the room of a guest who went through such measures to ensure that a room would be there when he arrived. He also had no explanation for why the hotel would invite an individual to stay in a room and then renege on the invitation after the guest made a reservation and arrived to check into the room. He likewise couldn't explain to me why I was forced to wait an hour and 15 minutes in the lobby before someone would tell me that my room apparently wasn't available any longer. He offered to put me up in a hotel that was on a list of approximately 10 hotels and none of them were even remotely equivalent to Thunder Valley and none certainly offered the same entertainment value on premises as Thunder Valley.

It is inexcusable that a hotel would INVITE a guest to stay in a complimentary room, accept a reservation for the room a month in advance, inform the guest that his room would be available on two separate occasions when the guest called that same evening with the express purpose of ensuring that a room was there when he arrived after driving more than 2 hours, ask for an ID and credit card to check the guest in, reverse course on the check in procedure when it was realized that the guest was staying in a complimentary room, make the guest wait more than an hour and 15 minutes before being told to hit the street since no room was available despite the reservation, and then offer as a consolation prize a room in a 2-star hotel that had nothing to offer for entertainment and was clearly designed to be a family hotel.

This experience would have been less irritating if Thunder Valley HAD NOT INVITED ME TO STAY AS A GUEST, misrepresented to me that my room was safe on at least two occasions, and not begun the check in process for me when I arrived. The fact that the desk agent initially asked for my ID and credit card when I first arrived means that there was a room available or else she would not have requested my ID and a form of payment and told me instead that there weren't any rooms any longer. It was only after she pulled up my reservation and saw that it was a complimentary room that she all of a sudden realized there were no rooms. In other words, this all leads to the inescapable conclusion that the representation that all rooms were taken was a lie.

The manager was of absolutely no assistance and lied to me on several different occasions about the hotel being sold out, how my reservation was given away, the quality of the hotels at which he was trying to put me up, and why I was repeatedly told that my room would not be given away. He additionally refused to permit me to speak with the general manager, claimed not to know when she would next be working, and refused to provide me with any contact information for her. If I cannot speak with the general manager in a situation such as this then how bad does a guest have to be treated before he can communicate with the general manager? Death or serious injury/disfigurement?

This ordeal was a straight nightmare and nothing that the hotel did was honest or in a guest's best interest. The hotel clearly decided that it would subject me to second class treatment in favor of giving a paying customer the reservation that was confirmed as mine. In case you might think this was an isolated incident, it wasn't. According to the manager and my own observations, there were at least 9 other guests whose rooms were given to other guests and who were kicked to the curb despite having a confirmed reservation. All of the kicked out guests were, coincidentally, also receiving complimentary rooms for the night (as part of the past jackpot winners promotion).

Greed and dishonesty at the expense of customer service and loyalty is never an acceptable business practice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
13 Thank ahkcal
Hayward, California, Usa
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Second trip to Thunder Valley (for New Year's Eve) and it was fun! The place was packed but the energy was great! Two music groups performing at either end of the casino and we stayed at a nearby hotel and the shuttle was on time which made getting back and forth really easy. They did a countdown on stage and announced the $10,000 (and other amounts) winners. Great alternative to Vegas and Reno. The staff is always friendly and the dealers and nice and take the time to explain the games to you and the difference is payoffs (sometimes they are more than Vegas). I played their version of Roulette, which pays 35 to 1 (if you hit a number) whereas in Vegas on the strip it pays 30 to 1. WOW! Good times! Try it yourself and see! Calm, beautiful outside with ample parking and once inside the fun begins!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dinfamousboogie
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The casino is right next to the city of Roseville garbage dump across the street...so it can smell bad depending on the wind. Kind boggle my mind why they built houses nearby..but i guess people nose are stuff with cigarrette odor that they couldn't tell that the dump is near by.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike N
Burbank, California
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Best and largest soaking bathtub of any hotel I've seen. Wonderfully comfortable beds and linens. Beautiful lobby and great customer service. Casino is just large enough without you getting lost, and lots of late night food options.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jennifer w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lincoln
Staybridge Suites Rocklin - Roseville Area
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Sacramento Roseville
Crowne Plaza Sacramento
Crowne Plaza Sacramento
#36 of 81 in Sacramento

Been to Thunder Valley Casino Resort? Share your experiences!