“Have a back up plan in place”

Thunder Valley Casino Resort
Salt Lake City
“Have a back up plan in place”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked this hotel more than a month in advance as we were traveling from Utah to California to visit some family that lives close to this hotel. I called the hotel that same day to confirm I was ok to check in later in the evening and was assured my room would be held until midnight. Upon arriving at 10:15 pm, I was told the cleaning staff was behind and my two queen bed room was not ready and they took my cell number to call me when it was ready. Twenty minutes later they called me and advised that my room was ready. I went directly to the desk to check in, only to be told that my two queen bed room was no longer available and all they had was one king bed, which did not work for my situation. They "graciously" agreed to waive the cancellation fee and I cancelled my room and was left to find another hotel at 11:00 pm at night in a city not familiar to me. I will never go here again and will tell everyone I know to never go here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dpmae

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I needed time to relax even just for a day from the big city and we found this awesome resort just 2 hours drive from San Francisco! We arrived there around 9pm, front desk staff were a little busy but this wonderful concierge guided us to her desk and checked our reservation. The room wasn't ready. I'd be upset having driven for 2 hours and check-in time is at 4pm, but she is so welcoming that i'd let it slide. She held our luggage and told us they will call when it's ready so we walked around the casino. After about 5 mins, someone called and we were checked in by the concierge right away. When we got into the room we were so surprised by its beauty. The bathroom was lovely, there's a walk-in shower and a tub. The amenities even include bath gel, bath salts, makeup wipes, cotton swabs & cotton balls, you name it. Not all hotels provide those little things. And also they have a separate counter top vanity mirror! Isn't that great not having to place your cosmetics on top of the sink? And their price is really cheap compared to other hotels and take note, this one is a 4-Diamond resort. I could never find fault with this place. We will definitely be back! The checkout lady informed us of the place where our kids will have fun around the area, so we're bringing them along too!

Room Tip: For sure all rooms are great. We're on the 15th floor. The elevator is room key operated.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EurydicePsyche
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our first time staying at a Casino Resort with our children and we were a bit concerned. We should not have been. They loved everything about it from the statuary outside, to the "bling" inside, to the Gelato in the food gallery. The Valet service and check-in were a breeze. We were "Thunder Struck" by the large, lovely rooms. The beds were excellent, the maid service was wonderful and the bathroom was to die for! We had an excellent stay. We took turns gambling and staying in the room with the kids at night, but during the day, the concierge helped us find amazing and educational activities to do close by with the family, such as Old Sacramento and the Railroad Museum. One day, we even did a riverboat tour up the Sacramento River. Each time we had to get the rental car out, the Valets were excellent and had the car waiting for us in the shade. I will not stay anywhere else in the Lincoln area, and we visit there at least twice a year!

Room Tip: We stayed facing a large parcel of range/cow pasture, which was beautiful. In the evening, we saw l...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Venuevetter
Monterey, California
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Checked into the resort and when asked to initial something about a resort fee of $15 and was told it was part of my room rate of 98.99. When I checked my charge I was charged the fee above in addition to the room rate, called to have it taken off and they refused. The front desk supervisor refused refund the charge even though I explained the situation. They would rather lose all future business from me rather than honor what their staff stated upon check in. The fee is for the internet, pool and paper, which they say is complimentary. With the rapidly growing number of Native American casinos, why stay at a dishonest resort!. I was already planning my next trip to Thunder Valley, but now I will go somewhere else. I will be mailing back my and my wife's players cards. Shame on you Thunder Valley!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to a different casino!
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Wrpace
Applegate, California, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Thunder Valley Casino started out as an excellent place to go gamble, and eat. Over the years it has gone downhill. It would appear that as soon as they added the hotel and concerts, their slot machines got much tighter, their buffet quality started slipping, and the prices on everything have gone up.
When hotels and casinos in Reno are offering free rooms, free play, food discounts and other comp, and when there are other local casinos that are much better, there is no need to go to Thunder Valley.
I would rather spend my entertainment money on somewhere I can spend the entire day and enjoy myself rather than lose it all in just a few hours. Red Hawk, Atlantis and the Peppermill come to mind as having much better value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bill L
Novato, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at the Thundervalley Hotel . Lovely large rooms, nice toiletries, robes, frig in room. Bathroom is very large and had a shower and tub.The beds were amazing, incredibly comfortable. We had a wonderful massage there and the spa had both a dry and wet sauna. The casino is fun, lots of penny machines. Food was excellent. The buffet is large and everything you could ask for. The Steak house had good choices and excellent food. The pool and cabanas are very surprising. Service and staff is friendly and helpful. My only big complaint is the SMOKING !! I feel that they should stop the smoking in the casino area. They have a small room for non smokers, it should be the opposite. I had to keep going outside to get some fresh air.It would be nice if they had an outside area that was a garden to walk around. but overall a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MNelsonNovato
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

From inside you would never have guessed that outside was country. Inside you feel like such spoiled royalty! The rooms are so beautiful. Deep tub seperate showers all gorgeous granite they even have room service to draw special baths for you! Who does that?! The beds were so comfortable all overstuffed and white,flat screen TV and even a keurig. They really know how to pamper you. Me and my mom had gotten massages, manicures and pedicures,so relaxing. Were pretty big on casinos and love playing slot machines but I think out of the 3 days 2 nights we were there we only spent 4-5 hours Max in the casino. The spa has a meditation room with snacks and tea. It has a dry sauna and steam room amazing showers fluffy robes and sandals for you to walk around in. The hot tub is really big and the pool has this neat waterfall u can swim under. Definitely will be back soon :) sorry such a long review but there's so much to say about the resort!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank stinastillo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lincoln
Staybridge Suites Rocklin - Roseville Area
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Sacramento Roseville
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin
TownePlace Suites Sacramento Roseville

Been to Thunder Valley Casino Resort? Share your experiences!