“Nice place to get away ...”

Thunder Valley Casino Resort
San Francisco, California
“Nice place to get away ...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Being one who do not gamble, I must say this is still a place to enjoy and relax. There is nothing in the vicinity to shop or sightsee. But, it is the place to get away from all the city life and grueling work environment. And I try to go here whenever I just want to wind down.The rooms are large and clean. The bedding is comfortable. My only comments is the 4 PM check-in and 11 AM checkout time and the buffet. The buffet area is under some remodeling/renovation. But, I find the food disorganized. The large lids makes it so messy and awkward to handle. And the food and dessert choices have dwindled to not many choices at all.

1 Thank mmgegedidi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
California
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Not being a gambler, I would not have a reason to visit or stay here, other than a friend's birthday. We were quite surprised by the georgeous hotel room...complete with a king bed, sitting area, bar and huge bathroom. Lots of granite countertops. Not a lot to do in the surrounding area, so you better have something planned at the hotel/casino. We ate at the High Steaks restaurant, which serves fantastic meals at high prices. The casino was huge, and very crowded (no wonder Reno and Tahoe are hurting).

2 Thank CDBCDB
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Thunder Valley Casino resort is a Casino. BUT they have fantastic rooms. The bed linens are top of the line, great pillows, and comfortable beyond belief.
We came back from dinner and found our robes lied out, rose petals on the bed with chocolates and soft music.
We are not gamblers but I must stay if you are need accommodation in this area it is well worth it. Price was extremely reasonable at $189.00.
Room Service - on time , great food.

Room Tip: Higher floors for us were better - great view. Very peaceful and non-smoking room.
2 Thank Jackco7
Rancho Cordova, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We are local and just wanted to get away for a few days. We loved the hotel right away. The room was gorgeous, however there were a few glitches. The WI FI keep dropping out and the first night we had no heat so they had a tech come up and fix it right away. The next morning at 6:00 am we awoke to water dripping from the ceiling in the bathroom. It seems the room above us had the bathtub overflowing. Not a good way to wake up, especially since we didn't go to bed until 4:30 am. At check out they asked how our stay was and when we told them of our problems he didn't even offer any sort of discount. After much stewing, my husband went back to the desk and they gave us half off one night. The spa was great. I had a facial and my husband and I both had massages. The casino has a good selection of slot machines, however I'd suggest bringing eye drops because of all the smoke.

1 Thank dmix315
San Jose
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent a night here after visiting the Wildlife Preserve in Colusa. I've stayed here since the hotel has opened, and I'm not sure how AAA rated it so highly, especially now with the mandatory resort fee.

They close the pool for the winter, but don't tell guests when making a reservation, and still require the full Resort Fee. I asked the Front Desk Staff what are they going to substitute, and the clerk went into full bureaucrat explanation. My impression of the afternoon Front Desk Staff is they are there not to be helpful, but are their to process guests through like the DMZ.

I provided this same feedback through the Resort's follow-up email, but have not received a response.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bigbasin
California City, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

HOTEL- - Reception (Nuri/Lelinani) , housekeeping (especially Judth F is outstanding/great.) and buffet restaurant ( Gloria) are very good . It's winter, why are guests still charged resort fees- - - $15 per room/per day?? Wi-fi reception in hotel room stinks- -connections are dropped. Stronger signals by the door or for extended connection need- - stay in your bathroom-- - - 4bars, better connectivity; EXCELLENT SERVICE- -

Restaurant- - OK, but then one goes to a casino to gamble not eat. Convenient. Buffet menu slightly changed from breakfast to lunch to dinner- - - EXCELLENT SERVICE.

Great location, great service, great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PsalmL
Richmond, California
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I recently took advantage of a complimentary overnight stay that they offered to me. In looking at the fine print as I booked the room, I was given to understand that I was still on the hook for the $14.00 resort fee that they tack on. Since they noted this up front, and taken into account the normal cost for a room, I thought that a $14.00 stay was still an excellent value. To my surprise, the front desk charged absolutely nothing, telling me that the entire offer was complimentary.

That's just the icing on the cake. The staff was very courteous, attentive and responsive (as opposed to some hotels where staff are indifferent, careless and complacent). The room was modern, spacious, laid-out nicely and well-appointed. Unfortunately, I could hear the couple next door talking very loudly to each other into the early hours of the morning. I don't blame the soundproofing -- I'm sure if they conversed at a normal speaking level, nothing would be heard. It's just that there a some people who talk loud and are unaware of disturbing the people around them.

The only thing lacking in the room was a mini-bar, but I usually don't use them. I appreciated the mini-fridge under the coffee maker. The bed had excellent pillows and linens. I slept very well on it.

There was enough variety in the casino restaurants and the food court to keep anyone satisfied. The food court consisted of a Peet's Coffee franchise, Panda Express, Pizza Hut, a burger joint (I don't recall the name) and maybe one other. The hotel restaurants include the Feast Buffet, the Red Lantern (Chinese/Asian fare), a coffee shop (diner fare), and a high-end steakhouse. Also available was room service, which I did not use.

Use of the steam room and dry sauna was also included, which I didn't use either. The pool was out of service for the winter season.

I will not comment on their casino except to say I was happy with their selection of slot machines. You don't need to gamble here and instead just enjoy the resort experience. Thunder Valley Resort has reasonable rates compared to similar 4-star resorts and I wouldn't hesitate to return has a paying customer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Bay_Arean2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lincoln
Staybridge Suites Rocklin - Roseville Area
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
SpringHill Suites Sacramento Roseville
Hampton Inn and Suites Roseville
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin

Been to Thunder Valley Casino Resort? Share your experiences!