“Hotel Hell”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lemon Grove
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Hotel Hell”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked this through Yahoo "secret hotel" NEVER AGAIN... the room was extremely small .. nicotine running down the walls. Was told i reqested a smoking room.. NOT on my life would I request a smoking room. Something red in the bottom of the fridge which didn't work.. Drinks left in freezer for days never froze however did stay cold but only in the freezer. Requested a blanket, 2 pillows, and 2 towels twice from front desk was told ok twice ,, but on 2nd day still nothing so asked maid she told us no more pillows????? why weren't we told that before.. Toilet low any lower would have made a good training toilet... decorative tile in bathroom had mildew or something dark on it.. Bed couldn't have been more uncomfortable.. Person sleeping closest to door sank ... person sleeping on other side of the bed rolled off. Looked more like a crack hotel than anything else.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
M P, Manager at Econo Lodge Lemon Grove, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
This hotel is now fully upgraded and renovated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stood here for 6days/5Nights after a previous big chaos at another local hotel-which i shall not bajer...

I think it was a little overpriced, paid almost 400 for very basic queen sized non smoking room. Did have a TV, microwave, and fridge. Perfect. But the rooms were alot nicer than i expected for a Econo Logdge. Very Clean. But small & def NOT for someone like us who had 4 suitcases. Had to pile all our stuff all over the place due to no space.

*there is NO pool. No fitness area-just be aware of that*

Breakfast-not really 'breakfast' more like a lil corner in their very small lobby that has a few pastries. Dont expect a sit down.

But the rooms were maintained cleaned. Very. & when i needed towels they gave me extra. **..[except for one night my hunny asked for extra towels- the man was like sorry cant give you none] which i spoke to the manager the next morning & he apologized saying that the night shift guy was new and didnt know.. & everyday after I had extra towels. :)

The Bad... PARKING!! Is horrible. After 7pm, be prepared to walk because the parking is so tight and small- that was probably the worse.

Besides that, I'd stay again. Its convenient in location- eateries, stuff to do in San Diego, ect... Clean. & what we needed- to sleep & have our stuff. :)

Room Tip: I had room across the lobby room 147, theres only 6 rooms on that side & seemed alot quieter tha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
M P, Manager at Econo Lodge Lemon Grove, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Even though this review is old we have tried to improve on some of the things mentioned and we do appreciate your info. and feedback.
LAS VEGAS
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Ok, me and my wife, stayed here for five days, and the manager, did everything he could to make us happy. He remembered that, we had stayed here, over two years ago. The name of this place, is Econo Lodge, you don't get room service. They don't have a pool, they have cable, microwaves and a fridge in the room. My wife is pregnant with twins, and she thought the bed was very comfortable. Carpet was clean, walls were clean, (and we had a non smoking room). Shower worked, the air condition worked, I can see where they upgraded the room. And they have free Wi-Fi. Most people want to come here and just party, then leave, because they have no home training. This place is in walking distance of everything you could want to eat. And is close to Two Grocery Stores. We will return.

Room Tip: Non-Smoking rooms are better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We realize this review is old, however we appreciate your patronage and your review and please if you are in town, come stay with us again!
Pittsburg, CA
Reviewed May 27, 2010

The hotel is mostly clean, but the mirror in the room was filthy! The walls had dried up lotion, and/or hair products. The bedding, carpet, and curtains look like they were from the 1970s. Prepaid through Hotwire, but was double charged. Thankfully, the hotel attendant credit my account before I checked out. This is NOT a two star hotel. I would give it one star. The continental breakfast consist of coffee, juice, and a few pastries. Basically, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank carmelkim326
It is true this is a limited service budget hotel, however we have made many changes, new LCD Flat Screen TV's, new beds and micro/fridge in every room, new linens and tiles. We have upgraded everything. If you are in the area come check it out. Thanks!

Travelers are raving about these Lemon Grove hotels

JOWI67
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Where do I start? First off? I don't know how the 1st review from Mikayla was so good? She must have stayed a totally different planet?

We stayed here, because my cousin got us a deal with her AAA membership. At first, the outside looked okay... But, it really got bad once inside! The walls were all dirty! The bathroom had splatters on the wall near the basin of the toilet! It looked like blood or caca. Gross! Then the bathroom smelled like smoke the entire time! This was a non-smoking room and so I'm assuming since my cousin who stayed at the room next to us said she smelled smoke in her restroom too? It had to have been coming from downstairs! I didn't think anything of and just brushed it off! I found a dead dried up roach on rug next to the bed!

The first night seemed quiet! Until it hit about midnight or past that? There was so much traffic going on in the parking lot! People and cars were coming in and out and not staying, but rather seemed like they were visiting someone in the room below us? Well, once we saw someone in the parking lot smoking a joint, we kinda figured it out for ourselves and that the guest below our room must have been selling drugs?

If you look at the are around the hotel? You'll know that's what it was! There are so many convenient places to eat at! But, there are so many drug addicts and bums wondering the area around this hotel, it's kinda depressing and disgusting when you're a visitor! I went to the jack in the box down the street and there were 3 drug addict women behind the papa john's building... one was using the restroom in public, while the other two smoked what ever was in their pipe.

The guy on our first day was courteous. But the second day? There was a women and she was very rude and mean! I called her for more towels and she ordered me to come and get them myself, because she didn't want to leave her desk! With that said? I had no choice but to go to her to get them! Then she only gave me 2 towels for 4 people staying in a two double bed room? When I requested more, she asked very rudely, "well how many people are in the room"!!! I told her 4! she then gave me 2 more with hesitation!

I paid the 1st night with my credit card and then the second night I paid cash! Come to find out, after getting home back in L.A., I checked my account and it was overdrawn! Come to find out! They charged me $100 extra! I called to dispute it right away! The owner or manager the people that live in the room behind the front counter, was very rude and accused me of smoking in the room! I told them I never smoked in the room and they are falsely accusing me! They refused to give me my money back and didn't care one bit about what they did! I now will have to either sue them for my money back or let it go! But, I don't think that's right! Especially for what we had to put up with? Then they steal my money by accusing me of smoking in the non smoking room?

Do not stay here! It is very dirty and filthy! It seems the only customers they get are the locals who are drug addicts, drug dealers and just very low class. This is a very dangerous area! The area around it is very dangerous! I find out from my cousins who live in San Diego? That this motel is considered a crack motel and prostitution type of motel! They said that they have had shoot outs here in the past!

Please be aware! The owners seemed nice at first.... but they stole my money with a false accusation! They do not care who they let stay in their establishment, because all they want is money! Whether it be a drug dealer or not!

Definately! Do NOt! I repeat Do Not! Take your family here! and if you care about your safety? You shouldn't consider staying here either! I just don't understand what's so hard about scrubbing the walls? You can see that it's obviously dirty?!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank JOWI67
M P, Manager at Econo Lodge Lemon Grove, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
We have upgraded many things and renovated many things at this hotel and it has changed a lot we have all types of guests family , corp. Thank for you feedback.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We stayed here for one night to go to the exhibition game between the Angels and Padres. The motel is not "in" the downtown area, so we had to drive to the game. It was an easy 10 min drive right down 94, straight into downtown.

We knew we were only going to be staying at the hotel a limited amount of time. We were looking for cheaper, rather than closer as we wouldn't get to the hotel until late afternoon, then head downtown, then we were leaving first thing in the morning. We really just wanted a clean place to sleep and shower. Since my husband had already booked this and we really couldn't find any reviews, I was very sure that when we got there we would just be leaving again.

It turned out OK. This is obviously an older motel and I am pretty sure it has just recently become an econo lodge, although I don't know that for sure. Either way it has been recently remodeled. You could tell the walls had recently been repainted and the tub had been re-glazed. The carpets were clean and the towels were still soft and fluffy. The shower curtain still had the creases in it where it looked like it had recently been taken out of the package. The bed was very firm, which is fine if you like a firm bed, we don't. The sheets were clean and not threadbare. The pillows were a little too "squishy" also for us. But when we got the room so cheap, I don't expect the Ritz. I was just pleasantly surprised I didn't want to run right back to the car! LOL.

The front desk staff was friendly. Their breakfast is danishes and fruit, with coffee and juice. OK for grabbing something quick to tide you over. The parking was OK, but the entrance to the motel was a little scary for the car. There is a big dip right in front of the driveway, then it goes up kind of high, you could see where the bottom of several cars had scrapped the concrete. So you need to go very slow into the driveway.

The area around the motel was just "neighborhoody". There is a Home Depot right next to the motel. It is obviously an older neighborhood, but I didn't feel unsafe, although I was never alone and we were only there a very limited time. There is an In-N-Out burger close and the entrance to the freeway is just down the street.

If I were going to be in San Diego longer, I would pay more and stay closer to the action. However, for a quick stop in this motel was fine.

• Liked — That they were clean!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank mikayla73
rupal1, Manager at Econo Lodge Lemon Grove, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
We have just signed up with Tripadvisor. Please accept our thank you for your comments from last year. We continue to work on our hotel to upgrade it. Please contact me directly at the hotel 619-462-7022 to make any future booking so I can give you best service.

Rupal
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Americas Best Value Inn - El Cajon / San Diego
Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU

Been to Econo Lodge Lemon Grove? Share your experiences!